2008 Catalytic Converter Replacement - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2008 Catalytic Converter Replacement

I'm thinking about attempting a catalytic converter replacement. Does anyone know how labor intensive it is, or if it's best to have a mechanic do it?

Some history on the question:

My 2008 with 163K miles on it has one of the dreaded check engine codes (I don't have it handy) that point to a catalytic converter replacement. I have physically examined the area and the converter is pretty rusted and making a hissing sound. My dealer said that it's also most likely not just a sensor because generally there's more than one check engine code displayed when one or both of the O2 sensors are bad. I have also had my ECU flashed by the dealer to make sure it wasn't that either.

Thanks in advance!
freeheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeheeler View Post
I'm thinking about attempting a catalytic converter replacement. Does anyone know how labor intensive it is, or if it's best to have a mechanic do it?

Some history on the question:

My 2008 with 163K miles on it has one of the dreaded check engine codes (I don't have it handy) that point to a catalytic converter replacement. I have physically examined the area and the converter is pretty rusted and making a hissing sound. My dealer said that it's also most likely not just a sensor because generally there's more than one check engine code displayed when one or both of the O2 sensors are bad. I have also had my ECU flashed by the dealer to make sure it wasn't that either.

Thanks in advance!
#1 make sure the Y pipe right at the "Y" is not cracked I hit a chunk of ice that fell off a truck that cracked mine. 5yrs later the front Cat had ingested enough road grime it had had enough. Took me about 45 minutes to replace the Ypipe with a stock one bought online brand new for $200. Dealer wanted $1000 for it!

I had a local ma and pa muffler shop cut out the old CAT and weld in a new one $150 Dealer wanted $800 for the bolt in stock CAT.

I replaced the front 02 sensor with the stock one bought online subaruparts source - $190 Dealer wanted $300 for that.

All my error codes went away and I drove the car another 50K and sold it with zero issues.

I recall the dealer wanted $2000 for what cost me less than $700 and was super easy to do.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback

It's important to know the actual code- if it's the P0420 there are things to do (some mentioned above_ before replacing the cat.

If it is something else and not the cat, you'll just get the code again, only change is you'll be a good bit poorer.
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Great, thanks guys!
freeheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: