constant squeal while rolling after warm up - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-19-2006, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 00 Outback Limited Wagon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy constant squeal while rolling after warm up

ok, here is the situation... 2000 outback limited, 120K, about two months ago i started getting a loud squeal when rolling after a few minutes of warm up. Once the squeal starts it doesn't stop. It is drive train related, only happens when car is rolling, gets higher pitched when going faster. Since i had a torn inner cv boot on the passenger side, i guessed that was likely the problem. took it to the suby dealership..they charged me 250 to replace the cv boot. Guess what, squeal still there. So, i thought it might be a brake indicator, new brakes all the way around, including 2 new rear rotors..price 402...yikes...so 650 dollars, it still squeals..what could be left?? i don't think it is squealing as bad, but haven't really driven that much since picking it up yesterday....help me guys, i'm out of cash !
jekylczar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2006, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gallery Ninja

Car: 2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT

Ok, most likely it is something from:

1. Wheel Bearings
2. Brakes (even if they are new)
3. somewhere else in the driveline.

1. The wheelbearings can squeak if they are out of grease. Unfortunately they are not super easy to access just to check them out. You might jack up the wheel you think its coming from (have a friend listen while you drive perhaps) and then spin it by hand to determine if it is that wheel. Consider that it might require the weight of the car to squeal. Replace them with new ones if you find a bad bearing.

2. Brakes. Even new brakes can squeal. In your case, does the sound change with the application of brakes? How about the e-brake, is it misadjusted too tight?

3. Well, this one is harder. Look for anything interrupting the driveshafts. You can spin a driveshaft by hand if you already have the car jacked up, but please take the required safety precautions before climbing underneath the car. Who knows, it could be a squeaky seal somewhere.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default thanks for the tips

I really appreciate the advice. The squeal doesn't change at all with application of brakes. I haven't tried the emerg. brake thing though, that might be a start. I'm wondering if it might be a wheel bearing. I can't swear, but it seems like when I am driving, the squeal doesn't start until after a few miles, then it never stops...it also seems like it might first start while i'm in a turn...i suppose i ought to just check out underneath myself and see what i can find, then try for the wheel bearings...Again, thanks for the help
Old 05-22-2006, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gallery Ninja

Car: 2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT

If your really lucky, its just a retaining spring clip from one of your brake pads that is bent out of shape and rubbing against something. If not, I would highly recommend you deal with the issue asap since a greaseless bearing might shred the metal apart and tear up your spindle or CV. The heat can weld parts together as well.

Like I said, hopefully something really dumb, but take some time and jack it up and start spinning some wheels. Make sure to chock the wheels of course
Old 05-22-2006, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default back to the dealer

over the weekend my suby kicked the CEL and i went to advance to see what it pulled...it said misfire cylinder 2...it is also running rough...why does everything happen at once?? Anyway, i took it to the dealer this morning and he drove me to work to listen to it...he said he's 100% sure its the brakes..which as I said are brand new. So my plan is to let the dealer check out the CEL and then take it to the place that did the brakes and see why in the world they didn't take care of the squeal...
Old 05-23-2006, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Talking resolution

turned out it was a brake pad backing plate???? why didn't the brake guys fix that when they replaced the brakes? Anyway, dealer fixed it at no charge, now i am nice and quiet again
Old 08-23-2007, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

ok, i need to catch you up on the history of this problem since I last posted...as it turned out, the squealing started again and this time never really went away...I had it down to the dealer several more times, couldn't find the cause...even had the guys at midas take a look at it...no dice. Now let me tell you, this squeal was LOUD...only when moving, all the usual suspects (brakes, pads,etc) were eliminated as the problem. NOW, this past week, the squeak stopped. It has been doing this for 9 months now and it just stopped...BUT, something feels weird in the front end when I drive now....like the steering has lost some spring in it...the wheel doesn't seem to want to bounce back as quickly as it once did..I don't know how to really explain, it just doesn't feel as crisp as it use to...ideas????
Old 08-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tokyo's between my toes

Car: 2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT

What does your power steering belit look like, hard and glazed? PS fluid OK? Steers OK lock to lock?
The_Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2007, 10:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2000 outback limited

I have the same problem on my 2k outback. I have just over 101k!!!!!!!!!

I got brake pads installed about 3 weeks ago. This problem began 2 weeks later. I just brought it back to the garage down the street from me who put the pads in and they told me everything is fine as far as their pad installation goes. They also thought it was a one of the backing plates when I took him for a ride.

It seems to be coming from the drivers side tire only. Not the passenger side.

Its very, very annoying and as you mention only starts up after the car is on for a while. I have been doing some basic troubleshooting and it appears to really squeal when i turn the wheel to the left. Turning the wheel either way seems to have an effect on the volume of the noise. Left is loud, turning right stops it.

I think I am going to drive it around Saturday until its making the noise then quickly jack it up and take the tire off to see what the **** the problem might be...I refuse to take it to anyone to look at cause they'll just start replacing **** and charge me up the wazooo.

Last problem I had with this piece of crap was the Ox sensor. Brought it to 2 different places for the **** putting/stuttering problem and no one could fix it. I read on another forum that it was the Ox sensor. I replaced it and problem was solved.

Screw the mechanics. Most of them are scammers.

Lets work together on this and solve this problem and post the results to save others the hassle.

Thanks
George
GeorgeL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2007, 06:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'm with you...let's figure out what's going on here...

I'm not sure about yours, but mine would be fine (no noise) until I had been driving for a few minutes..it also seemed that making a turn at a pretty good speed would make it start squealing...and it was LOUD...really embarrassing. I had pretty much given up on figuring out what it was, when one day it stopped. I'm very thankful it has, but now I have this weird spongy feeling in the front end, which makes me wonder if whatever was squealing (and has now probably broken) was in the front suspension somewhere. I'm going to crawl under there this weekend and do another inspection to see if I can see anything. I'm wondering if I have a strut that has broken or something...with 140K on the car now, they prob need replacing anyway....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: