2002 H6 - no compression! - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2002 H6 - no compression!

Hey guys. I'm hoping you can help me out. I have a 2002 LL Bean with the H6 engine. Went to start it this morning and it just cranked over fast, no start. If you've ever heard an engine trying to start with a broken timing belt, that is what it sounds like. I verified fuel, then spark and both are good. Plugged in my compression tester to the RH middle cylinder and I get zero compression. I don't even want to bother checking the other cylinders because they are such a PITA to get to and I'm fairly certain they all have zero compression also. So what the heck happened here?!? It has about 160k on it and car was running great last night.

My next thought is to pull the timing cover and start checking it out. I'm guessing I have a broken timing chain or stripped timing cog.

Does anyone know where I can find a guide on pulling the cover? I assume I just need to pull the radiator and then I can get at everything?
FFR5445 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 Outback H6 base

It's my understanding this is for a newer H-6 but is great reference to see what you are looking at. I saved it from a reply posting from member Cardoc.

http://phantomotaku.com/SVX/011822-MSA5P0631C.pdf

best of luck to you!

........Click 2 enlarge.........

"Some people are happy herding an appliance from point A to B. Then there are those of us who want to enjoy the *drive*."
OldStyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

do you have a check engine light on? I'd expect some kinda crank angle/cam angle code at least.

there are 4 different length bolts I think holding the cover on. I've heard some people start by drawing the cover's outline on a piece of cardboard so they can push the bolts through at the representative locations.

some people say the valves need adjusting around 200K so, may as well investigate that too before putting it all back together.

tough news
Old 11-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

I did verify zero compression on the LH middle cylinder also. And just for the heck of it I checked my compression gauge is working correctly on another car.

I drove it the night before without any problems. The check engine light was not on at the time but it doesn't hurt to check. I'll hook up the scanner tonight before I tear into the cover. Thanks for the tip!

This is an interference engine so if it is a broken timing chain, my valves are most likely bent and I'll be shopping for a used engine. The car is just too nice to scrap at this point.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

a good inexpensive solution is a used set of heads bolted to your block. known good block with new headgaskets is a nice hit.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR5445 View Post
I did verify zero compression on the LH middle cylinder also. And just for the heck of it I checked my compression gauge is working correctly on another car.

I drove it the night before without any problems. The check engine light was not on at the time but it doesn't hurt to check. I'll hook up the scanner tonight before I tear into the cover. Thanks for the tip!

This is an interference engine so if it is a broken timing chain, my valves are most likely bent and I'll be shopping for a used engine. The car is just too nice to scrap at this point.
duh, yeah, I forgot the valves might be trashed.

bad luck, doesn't seem to be a common failure , though not impossible, for the H6es in general. I have seen pics of broken plastic chain guides and places where chains have chewed through aluminum bosses etc.

be interesting to see where the problem was. With zero psi on both sides, seems like a crank sprocket issue but certainly one chain could have created enough debris or interference to knock the other one off I guess.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback

As an H6 driver, I'm going to be very interested in what this turns out to be...
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited

I wonder if the starter is engaging?
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelker View Post
I wonder if the starter is engaging?
he should see the serpentine belt moving - and maybe hear valve-crunch noises but, yeah - worth mentioning.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Lucky Texan View Post
he should see the serpentine belt moving - and maybe hear valve-crunch noises but, yeah - worth mentioning.
Yup I see the belt moving. And it has spark which must be triggered from the crank sensor. Anybody know of an easy way to check if the cams are turning without taking the timing cover off? Maybe my scanner can read the cam sensor, but I doubt it, I only have a basic one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: