Kazoo in windshield? - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-18-2012, 12:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

3M Window Weld. You can pick it up at just about any parts store. Its what is used to attach and seal the windshield. A tube that fits in a caulk gun runs about $25.

Be sure to write up a scenario of your experience....
cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car: Little Red, 2000 Outback H4 "Limited"
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

The stuff I mentioned in my last post worked to eliminate the kazoo sound I reported in my first post. We'll see how long it lasts for that problem.

I also used it to seal 98% of the gap between the bottom of the back glass frame and the top of the center "Subaru" logo plastic piece. If it doesn't keep the water out of the hatch during the next big rain, I'll clean it out and use the 3M product mentioned above.
DavidPeab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

It really isnt about gluing down the gasket it is more about filling the gap which seats the gasket better. You dont want to glue it to the car.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default Not solved!

I must have misunderstood where the noise was produced. I assumed it was where the inside (windshield side) of the windshield gasket lay down on the windshield. See #1 in attached pic. So I added a bead of that filler crap I mentioned earlier in this post to keep air from slipping up under that trim. The silicone would be easy enough to remove if I need a new windshield. That did not help. Today the kazoo is back.

Should I be filling the huge gap (#2 in pic) under the outside edge of the rubber windshield gasket and the frame of the car using the 3M black stuff mentioned above? As you can see there is enough room between the edge of the windshield and the metal of the car to run a coax cable.

Kazoo in windshield?-kazoo.jpg
Old 11-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPeab View Post

Should I be filling the huge gap (#2 in pic) under the outside edge of the rubber windshield gasket and the frame of the car using the 3M black stuff mentioned above? As you can see there is enough room between the edge of the windshield and the metal of the car to run a coax cable.

Attachment 26088
^ Yes - though before you do that - put painters tape on it and see if you stop the kazoo do the spot you suspect first if the kazoo keeps going - put tape over more of the gasket till it stops that is your spot that needs the back fill ie gap between the glass and the under side of the gasket filled with spooge
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Ah ha, will tape and see what happens. Actually, listen to what happens. Or doesn't happen. You know what I mean!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #17 (permalink)

Car: '15 FXT

Did you get the car from an older relative? I think the car is just trying to tell you to slow down!

Common sense, isn't common.
Novablue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Did you get the car from an older relative? I think the car is just trying to tell you to slow down!
Ha ha. I just finished the timing belt, water pump, and valve cover gaskets. Along with the new tires, suspension work and brakes on all four corners this, is the first time I've actually felt comfortable going that fast. lol

I inherited the car from my sister-in-law when she died. She didn't "take a liken' to me" as they say in West Virgina, where she and the car were from. Every time I have a problem with it - and I've spent the last 9 months fixing all the ones I inherited - I feel like it is her ghost haunting the car. As each problem is fixed I feel like I am doing a small exorcism. She IS telling me to slow down, but only when an 18 wheeler is riding up my back bumper. RIP Sarah.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Car: '03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl

I very occasionally get a similar sound. Usually when there is a strong cross wind, when I'm traveling at highway speed. It's the passenger wiper assembly vibrating on the windshield. The wind get under it a little and lifts it up and down making a rather loud buzzing/vibrating sound. I learned to ignore it after I figured out the cause......
wilsonhp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
It's the passenger wiper assembly vibrating on the windshield. The wind get under it a little and lifts it up and down making a rather loud buzzing/vibrating sound. I learned to ignore it after I figured out the cause.
It seems like that noise would come from near the bottom of the windshield and this noise is coming from midway up the A pillar and it is far too loud to ignore. Think of someone playing a kazoo through a megaphone right next to your ear.

I called a local windshield place and they said they'd send someone out within 48 hours. They're kind of busy still from hurricane Sandy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: