Kazoo in windshield? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: Little Red, 2000 Outback H4 "Limited"
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Default Kazoo in windshield?

While driving at 68 mph or faster, I have a very loud vibrating sound coming from the area of the driver's side A column. It is coming from outside the car but can be heard inside, about halfway up the column.

The previous owner of my 2000 OBW had the windshield replaced, which is what I assume is causing the noise. It seems to be a harmonic vibration (I know all sound is a vibration of air), that starts when air is passing over something outside of the car. It is worse on windy days. I liken it to the sound of a kazoo played through a 1,000 watt amp.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone think it could be something else besides the windshield replacement - perhaps some trim coming loose? Any suggestions on how to stop it? Some sort of sealant that will not screw up the existing seal or look like crap?
DavidPeab is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

LOL I spot this one every year or so - The rubber gasket running around the edge of the glass needs enough gasket sealer put behind it or it will vibrate against the car frame ie flap in the wind. If you had the window done recently run back to the shop and have them shoot more goop in behind the rubber seal.

If you need to use the car and don't have time take some painters tape and run it over the rubber gasket with it tapped to the car. This will get rid of the crazy loud
Kazoo effect till you can get back to the window shop for some added sealer. Not a big deal but loud as all get out!!! First time I experienced it I pulled over on the freeway and went looking for something dragging under the car.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Unfortunately I inherited the car from a relative about 6 hrs away in WV. So, not sure who did the windshield work. Probably drunken uncle Joe. He did a lot of work to the car that I have been redoing over the last year.

Do you folks think it is something I should attempt myself with clear bathtub sealant or the like? Or should I go to a local windshield repair place? If so, I do have comprehensive insurance. I could just drop a brick on the windshield and have Allstate fix it. lol But that would be insurance fraud which is wrong and illegal and I would never do that to a huge company like Allstate (Looks over his shoulder).
Old 11-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Do not use home brand sealers!!! They contain acidic properties and will eat your car and cause major rust. - Go to the auto parts store and buy a tube of black gasket sealer. Before you start getting crazy squirting it in behind the rubber window gasket - put painters tape over it and find the spot where its making all the racket. Then simply run your finger under the rubber gasket gently and shoot some gasket sealer in behind the rubber gasket. Super simple and easy fix.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

A local windshield shop might just shoot some sealer in there for you for no charge or maybe $10. Worth calling a shop close by and just tell them the rubber gasket around the window needs more gasket sealer behind it given its vibrating loudly etc. The window shop will know exactly what your speaking of.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
A local windshield shop might just shoot some sealer in there for you for no charge or maybe $10. Worth calling a shop close by and just tell them the rubber gasket around the window needs more gasket sealer behind it given its vibrating loudly etc. The window shop will know exactly what your speaking of.
I'll go with that option. I can see myself making a huge mess if I DIY it. I'd probably be driving around with paper towels glued to the windshield obscuring my view where I tried to wipe it off of the smear that the windshield wipers made when I put too much on and I hit a tree and have to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair and my daughters grow up to be heroin addicted prostitutes because I was not here to guide them... uh er hem... yeh, I'll let a windshield professional handle it.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPeab View Post
I'd probably be driving around with paper towels glued to the windshield obscuring my view where I tried to wipe it off of the smear that the windshield wipers made when I put too much on and I hit a tree and have to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair and my daughters grow up to be heroin addicted prostitutes because I was not here to guide them... uh er hem...
I like your imagination. Have you considered screenwriting?
How to put a Modern Stereo in your 2005-2009 Outback with Automatic Climate Control
Did you know your 2005-2009 Outback has a built-in diagnostic scanner?
rasterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Could be worse - he might try wiping the excess goop off the window with a diaper.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2003 Outback, 5 MT, 134K, HG changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPeab View Post
While driving at 68 mph or faster, I have a very loud vibrating sound coming from the area of the driver's side A column. It is coming from outside the car but can be heard inside, about halfway up the column.

I've had the exact same experience in my car, but it only triggers in a hearty cross wind. Otherwise, it never makes a sound. Like Subiesailor, I too pulled over the first time it happened. Thought I had some crazy leak whistling from some piping or hose. Mine is outside on the driver's side but at the base of the A pillar. Glad to know I wasn't the only one whose heard this.

Storkiln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Solved?

OK, against my better judgement I stopped at Autozone and picked up some of this stuff.
Kazoo in windshield?-81730.png
The details are here sealants : Permatex® Flowable Silicone Windshield & Glass Sealer

At first I pried the windshield trim up a bit using one of my plastic installer's tools and squirted the goop in as I went along the pried up seal. Waited a couple of hours and still had the sound around 75 mph, but not as loud. Perhaps I did not wait long enough before testing. If you know me, you know doing it the right way the first time is my last option.

So I made a very thin bead against the trim on the windshield. The stuff is clear and practically unnoticeable. Waited until today and sped up the road and no sonic kazoo.

I used the rest of the tube between the back hatch glass and the center red "Subaru" plastic panel because when I opened the lift gate after a heavy rain about a quart of water ran out from the taillight access panel. It might be fixed, but I'm not certain. About half the tube disappeared into a large gap about an inch and half wide and may not have made an effective seal. I checked and it did not run down onto the taillights inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: