P0139 -- 2004 h6 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P0139 -- 2004 h6

This started showing as a pending code on my 2004 H6 LL Bean tonight (128k miles). No light yet, but I figure I might as well gather information in case it shows up.

Not much information out there on this...most of what I find shows it with a combination of other codes! To me, based on the description of the code, it sounds like it's pretty likely that the rear O2 sensor is going bad.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

RIP Outback: 2008 3.0R LL Bean "Senior Citizen Gold" 99,150 miles

Current Vehicle:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 11:04 PM

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Something happened with the O2 sensor behind the CAT. Its either a worn sensor, they do wear out, or you have a bad ground connection. Given the mileage of the car, it is a good possibility the sensor is failing. The ECM detects this because it test the circuits and the effectiveness of the CAT at the same time. The computer will alter the fuel trim to force a reaction from the O2 sensor to calculate whether it is working properly. It apparently picked up during a drive cycle that the O2 is not responding well. The next time the ECM test the circuit, if the O2 is slow to react again, the MIL will come on.

Get a Denso or Bosch direct fit sensor. Do not use a Universal sensor. They won't work properly or fail prematurely.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the input! I usually go OEM on stuff like that, but good to know that Denso or Bosch are fine (maybe one of them makes the OEM sensor?).

No light so far, and I've gone about 100 miles with one pretty long drive in there since the pending code first appeared. Needless to say, I'll wait to do anything until I get a light.

RIP Outback: 2008 3.0R LL Bean "Senior Citizen Gold" 99,150 miles

Current Vehicle:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport 4x4
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 11:15 PM

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Denso and Bosch both make sensors for Subaru. Either one will work. NTK also makes a sensor for Subaru, but I always go with the better engineering on things like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: