13 front end problem? - Page 7 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #61 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFenton View Post
Ok so here is my front end report... from December. Today I had my appointment and the tech just cut the corner (most under the car) off the splash guard. He said Caster can vary as much as half an inch... go figure.
So rather than do some work and adjust the frame he just cut a piece of the car off. Is this what we are to understand? He cut a piece of the car off? Really? Is that in the service manual? If you can't correct it, use a cutting wheel or Dremel to trim the offending body piece until it clears? Was this approved by some nitwit in management?

Looking at your measurements, the car is dogtracking right. Same thing as with Cobalt's. The left rear wheel is steering right. You probably have some vibration at highwy speed?
cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #62 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Black Outback 3.6R w/Special Appearance
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoc View Post
So rather than do some work and adjust the frame he just cut a piece of the car off. Is this what we are to understand? He cut a piece of the car off? Really? Is that in the service manual? If you can't correct it, use a cutting wheel or Dremel to trim the offending body piece until it clears? Was this approved by some nitwit in management?

Looking at your measurements, the car is dogtracking right. Same thing as with Cobalt's. The left rear wheel is steering right. You probably have some vibration at highwy speed?
Actually the car does not shake or pull - it just made a God awful noise when turning hard right plus a bump (or something to jar the wheel).

This "repair" came right from SOA... it's a Services Bulletin...

As soon as ALLDATAdiy.com Leading Source of Factory Automotive Repair Information releases the 2013 data I'll sign up and get all the same info the dealer gets.
KFenton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #63 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Maybe you could get a copy of that "bulletin" from the service manager. The last posted bulletin was in July 2012. I understand that Subaru will put out updates all the time as they come up, but cutting a body part is never the answer to a repair.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #64 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
Send a message via AIM to ScottyNorq Send a message via Yahoo to ScottyNorq

Quote:
Maybe you could get a copy of that "bulletin" from the service manager. The last posted bulletin was in July 2012. I understand that Subaru will put out updates all the time as they come up, but cutting a body part is never the answer to a repair.
I am getting a copy of the bulletin today. I had the same issue and the SOA rep said they are modifying the right splash guard (cutting part of it off). I pick up the car later today.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #65 (permalink)

Car: 13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNorq View Post
I am getting a copy of the bulletin today. I had the same issue and the SOA rep said they are modifying the right splash guard (cutting part of it off). I pick up the car later today.
Your kidding right?

I guess that is better then installing a pair of vice grips on the steering wheel so if you turn the wheel too far they hit you in the leg and stop from turning the wheel far enough for the splash guard to contact the tire.

SOA Engineers if you read this idea and try and steal it you better put me on the payroll
Cobalt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #66 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
your kidding right?

I guess that is better then installing a pair of vice grips on the steering wheel so if you turn the wheel too far they hit you in the leg and stop from turning the wheel far enough for the splash guard to contact the tire.

Soa engineers if you read this idea and try and steal it you better put me on the payroll

*Subie* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #67 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
Your kidding right?

SOA Engineers if you read this idea and try and steal it you better put me on the payroll
That is funny.

Its really stupid though. Its like a bunch of Ford engineers went to work for Subaru. If a shift in the subframe will correct the issue without body modification or surgery on a plastic part, then why not just shift the frame and realign the car? Especially since it would also double as a correction to the "walking" in theory. And they wouldn't have to manufacture all those "new" splash guards.

Ridiculous.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #68 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7

HA! I'd dare them to even LOOK at my car with a cutting wheel!

When I take my car in for this problem, I'll be referencing a few things from this thread. My right wheel is visibly closer to the splash guard. To **** with rulers, If I can tell by looking at it, it's too far out of spec.

Anyone know what the deal is with the back wheels on our cars? They're WAY close to the front of the wheel well (though they look equally close).
And, come he|| or high water, I'm going to make the interior illumination kit work with eyesight.
Latigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #69 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Quote:
That is funny.

Its really stupid though. Its like a bunch of Ford engineers went to work for Subaru. If a shift in the subframe will correct the issue without body modification or surgery on a plastic part, then why not just shift the frame and realign the car? Especially since it would also double as a correction to the "walking" in theory. And they wouldn't have to manufacture all those "new" splash guards.

Ridiculous.
If SOA was really paying attention to what members here are reporting (myself included), then maybe they would be shifting the subframes in order to "PROPERLY" fix the real issue at hand. Or, maybe they do realize what the real problem is and are taking the less expensive way out to fix the symptom (which is the tire rubbing the mud guard on the front passenger side). They probably figure the difference (shorter) in the passenger side wheelbase will not have any negative long term affects so why go through that expensive warranty repair when they can just trim some plastic off a mud guard and send the unknowing customer on his/her way. Real nice!

BAND AID. It's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru.
*Subie* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #70 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You get a bunch of engineers and pencil pushers in a room to try and calculate a "fix" and cost and come up with use a dremel and pay the tech 1/2 an hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: