13 front end problem? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2013 OB Premium 2.5 CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 13 front end problem?

I recently noticed a noise when I brake while turning right on my 2013 OB. I discovered that the right tire was rubbing against the splashguard behind it in this situation. Comparing the 2 front wheels I could see that the right wheel seemed to be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch farther back in the wheel well than the left one, so there is not enough clearance between the splashguard and the tire while braking during a right turn.

I took it in and the dealer kept it for an hour, returning to me freshly washed and saying that they had adjusted the position of the splashguard a bit. I drove off assuming all was well, but no, nothing has changed.

Now I have another appointment to bring it in. They want to have it for a whole day, to "do it right". What kind of problem could this be? Could it be as simple as an alignment issue? I'm worried that there is something more serious wrong, like the frame being out of whack. I'm also not too pleased that the first time they looked at it they did nothing.
13OBprem is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

hit a pothole recently? are you the only driver? ever loan the car to anyone?

seems like something is damaged. perhaps measure the hub-to-hub distance from front to rear wheel , and compare to same measurement of the other side of the car. Or have a collision shop inspect for damage.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

No, I've never hit anything and I'm the only driver. There are no handling issues, everything tracks straight. I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't had to brake hard while turning in a parking lot. This wouldn't happen during normal driving.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

you wouldn't be the first person to have purchased a new car that had been damaged/repaired by the dealer.

maybe it's something benign but, I'd get it investigated.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

13OBprem, I have the EXACT same problem! I noticed it the first day I drove it...any hard right turn with breaking and I would hear this rubbing sound. I had my wife stand beside the car as I turned into my driveway to see if she could tell what was going on. She could see the tire hitting the splash guard. I though it would be an easy fix. Wrong.
They checked alignment and across all 4 wheels and it was off less than 1/10 of an inch. They gave me a loaner car and kept it over the past weekend...I hope to hear something from the dealer today. They said they have never seen the problem before and Subaru of America wants to have a tech involved in the process so it seems like they are taking it seriously. Very disappointing considering I've driven the car ~160 miles.

What did they find out on yours? It might help them pinpoint the problem. Thanks in advance.
eerintheburgh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Just Installed them on my 2013

Funny that you posted this. I just did a self install of the front mud guards. The clearance looked pretty tight, but passable. I will do a lock to lock test tonight when I get home and report back if there is any rubbing.
SeanU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

eerintheburgh I just replied to your PM.

My dealer says there's nothing wrong with the frame or alignment, but that the right splash guard was probably not formed right so it grabs the tire during a braking right turn. They are going to replace it and all the hardware it attaches with. I'll let you know when that happens and if the fix works.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

My 13 does this as well, but I notice mine while backing out while turning right out of drive way. Drive is a hill so it flexes the car. Have to check out if it does it under right hand breaking
icobob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Black Outback 3.6R w/Special Appearance

My '13 OB w/SAP does the exact same thing... I noticed it for the first time turning hard right while pulling onto service road with slight downhill ramp.... I'm going to call dealership too and will report back...
KFenton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Guessing bad batch of mud flaps and will probably be found on many cars
subiesailor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: