Intro & Question - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Intro & Question

(Sort of Urgent )

Hello, I'm a prospective new Subaru owner, and I own a 2001 forrester 'L' I just bought cause my volvo had a disaster. Former (and current) Volvo owner (S70 T5 SE, SE5, & V70 T5)
Here it is: 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 XT - Newfoundland Cars For Sale - Kijiji Newfoundland Canada.

2005 Outback XT with 114,000 KMS
It had a blown Turbo in April of 2012 and now it has another one blown and the older lady who owns it doesn't want to pay the quoted $2500 to fix it again.

Now, let me say that my main question is: Buy it? Or walk away? I have her down to $2400.00. It will cost me about $850 for the trip to the town where she lives and back to get the vehicle (rent truck and trailer).

There could be engine damage, right? Myself and a mechanic friend spoke to the mechanic there (where the car is now) and he said "the turbo went again..." () "the engine starts and runs fine" (whats "fine" though, right?). She had to drive the car about 20 mms to the garage when this happened. He said he hadn't removed this turbo yet. There's no way he's checked the oil pan, and no chance he knows about the banjo bolt screen.

I've spent the last 24 hours reading about all the issues with these vehicles (baja, OB, LGT) and their turbo, screens, etc.

What do you think.
Is it worth it to buy the car, throw a new turbo in it and maybe just flip it for....$9500.00

Thanks for any helpful suggestions.
LamboSE5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback LTD

lambose5,

Sounds like a good candidate for what you have in mind. You don't say whether or not you'll do the wrenching or pay someone else to do it. That'll affect the end result money wise. If you finish the project, why wouldn't you keep it?

You need to hurry, if you're going to do this, as advertising it here on line most likely has several others on their way there! Good Luck!
gbhrps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey gbh,

Thanks for the response.
I'm not a big (or good?) risk taker, so this has got me twisted.

I plan on doing the wrenching myself with the help of a friend of mine, though it's more like I'll be helping him - he's the mechanic really

Also, I should've read if I'm allowed to post links to sites as I did here - my apologies if I'm not supposed to. We've already told the lady that we're coming to get the car tomorrow and we arranged the truck and trailer tonight.

I foresee more time spent at this and other subaru sites in the near future.

Oh - and the reason why I might not keep the OBXT if I finished the project is just that it IS a good candidate to flip and I'm interested in another subaru (which I won't post links too )

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

That's funny.

Flip it. Buy another, flip that one. Open a car lot.

Anyone looking for a Subaru will find it. Good ones don't stay up for sale long. Whether you post a location or not, if you haven't bought the one you are looking at, its gone. If not, there is something wrong with the price or the car.
cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's gone alright - to me
Got it for $2400, haha. All it needs is a turbo (and i'm thinking of everything else associated with the turbo).

I need:
A good priced used, or new maybe, turbo. I just want OEM performance and I don't want to have to get a tune because tunes are not available ANYWHERE where I live. Unless it's an e-tune (they can email you that can't they?).

A good write up on replacing the turbo (and possibly the related parts). I found one good tut, but I'd like another for a bit more info, different pics etc.

I read an article that said "The 02-07 WRX and Forester XT come stock from the factory with a Mitsubishi TD04L-13T turbo."
I didn't think it came with a mitsubishi at all. Thought it was IHI or something..?

I'll prob start another thread on this endeavour.
Thanks guys.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

JDM Engine Depot

Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More Online Shopping | eBay

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Subaru Parts dept

various forums classified list

As far as tuning goes, Xtreme Racing Tuning . He rewrote the ROM for my supercharged VDC. All through e-mail and texting. All he does is tune Subaru. Factory or modified.
cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey thanks for the links.

much appreciated. I'll have to save up some and wont be gettin under the car in winter until I lose this cold/flu. Hah.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: