Screwed up - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 1999 Legacy OBW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Screwed up

I replaced the head gasket on an ej25 and when I was taking it apart I got to excited and didn't mark or make any kind of notice as to how the cams were in. How screwed am I?
ding is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback LTD

As long as you haven't started the engine or turned the crank to where valves have struck pistons and bent, then its just a fix.

Someone else will have to say whether the headgaskets need to be replaced again. As for the cam timing, all that's required is to pull the timing belt covers again, and line all of the marks for the crank gear and the cam gears with their appropriate case markings, slowly release the belt tensioner, test it for proper clearance, and test rotate the crank shaft to check for parts banging together through several rotations.

I'll not go through all of that here, as there are videos on YouTube (view the proper ones for an EJ25) as well as downloadable factory service manual pages that will take you step by step through it. Good Luck!
gbhrps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well I haven't put them back in yet so I didn't know if there was a correct orientation or not.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed

If you haven't got the cams in, all the valves should be closed. So just line the crank mark up correctly, as the pistons are half way up the bore, the put your cams and sprockets on and line up the cams.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

When I took the head off, one of the pistons was up and the other was down.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback LTD

ding,

You obviously don't know what you are doing. PLEASE seek help before you go any further, or you will do damage to your engine.

There are videos on YouTube for your engine, showing how the timing marks are placed on each cam gear, as well as the crank shaft sprocket. If you have all of those markings lined up correctly, and the timing belt is correctly placed on its routing around the gears, and there is the proper tension on the tensioner assembly, then you've done it correctly. Forget about the pistons. If the marks are all located correctly as I described, the pistons will be in the proper position as well.

I've added a PDF file from the factory service manual, showing the step by step timing belt replacement for the SOHC engine. Read it carefully 2 or 3 times before you try it. If you get the belt one tooth out anywhere in the process, the engine will not run correctly.

Get educated on this process and be sure you know what you're doing before you dive in. Get it wrong and you could be in for a lot of grief and expense. The job is a DIYer if you take the time to study it first, and then check to be sure you did it correctly before you crank the engine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MSA5T0701A142998 Timing Belt.pdf (281.5 KB, 72 views)
gbhrps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Ding,

You will not damage the valves or the gaskets if you just do everything in order.

No cams on the heads, turn the crankshaft to line up the timing mark at 12:00.

Install the cams onto the head with the timing marks on the gears at 12:00, being sure the torque and spacers are correct for each cam cap and lobe. You can temporarily place the gears on the end of the cams to line up the marks properly. You can take it back off the cam once this is done to attach the rear cover.

Don't sweat it. Take your time. Its not as hard as you may be making it out to be.

Once the cams are in, new seals, the rear covers are installed and you have the new water pump in, then install the belt. After you have the belt installed, then you can go back and check the valve lifter spacing since doing this requires rotating the engine.
cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: