Engine with a rattling noise when driving - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
vic

Car: 03,outback 2.5l 5sp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Engine with a rattling noise when driving

I have a rattling noise on acceleration.....or it sounds like a diesel on gear .When coasting no noise.
If I rev the engine on neutral it sounds normal .
car is OB 03 5sp about 115k mi
vic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight

Might be pinging of the valve train due to poor quality of gasoline. Also, the ethanol in fuel results in water separating from gas, creating conditions leading to poor engine performance.

Keeping fuel tank above 1/2 fuel with fresh fuel that's less 2 weeks old helps a lot.

IF the above conditions apply to your vehicle, consider using a fuel stabilizer / injector cleaner and see if your symptoms improve.
147_Grain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 01 Outback LL Bean

Engine ping?
Glennda5id is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennda5id View Post
Engine ping?
louder then ping....could this be an injector?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback 2.5i LTD MT

I was about to start a new thread when I noticed this. I too have a manual and noticed something odd lately.

I would describe the sound as a tapping or clicking. Loudness varies sometimes, but frequency of clicking seems constant (not speed or rpm related). Front of the car, maybe off to the right side? It only happens when accelerating. It's very prevalent in 4th and 5th gears when going up hill. For me, it's worst when pushing hard in 4th. Have noticed it to a lesser degree in 2nd and 3rd. No sounds coasting or idling. Only happens in gear.

I'm hoping it's nothing transaxle-related...?

Don't want to detract from Vic's thread, but I also wanted to contribute to what could be a similar issue.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav

If it is worse when the engine is cold, it could be piston slap. If it changes with steering wheel input, it could be a CV joint. If it is a bit random, it could be a heat shield or an exhaust leak. Good luck.
4wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 03:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerb83 View Post
I was about to start a new thread when I noticed this. I too have a manual and noticed something odd lately.

I would describe the sound as a tapping or clicking. Loudness varies sometimes, but frequency of clicking seems constant (not speed or rpm related). Front of the car, maybe off to the right side? It only happens when accelerating. It's very prevalent in 4th and 5th gears when going up hill. For me, it's worst when pushing hard in 4th. Have noticed it to a lesser degree in 2nd and 3rd. No sounds coasting or idling. Only happens in gear.

I'm hoping it's nothing transaxle-related...?

Don't want to detract from Vic's thread, but I also wanted to contribute to what could be a similar issue.
the only difference is that's RPM related with mine.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Have you checked the fluid levels? If you can record the noise and post it, it would benefit. Tapping, knocking, pinging. People have different ways to describe noises and there are plenty of possibilities. Valve train, bearings, injectors, exhaust, suspension, axles, etc. I even had one customer have a knocking on his Toyota and it ended up being loose bolts on his bumper.

Check for anything loose. If you can't locate it, try a recording and post it.
cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 01:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoc View Post
Have you checked the fluid levels? If you can record the noise and post it, it would benefit. Tapping, knocking, pinging. People have different ways to describe noises and there are plenty of possibilities. Valve train, bearings, injectors, exhaust, suspension, axles, etc. I even had one customer have a knocking on his Toyota and it ended up being loose bolts on his bumper.

Check for anything loose. If you can't locate it, try a recording and post it.
Sorry I couldn't record the noise...It was scary when I drop it on the parking of a mechanic, I drove the car everyday and even push it hard at times nevertheless I waited quite long.
So I was told transmission is shot and would cost more to repair then get one from recyclers.
This transmission seems to be in great shape, so while I was at it I replaced the clutch kit from sachs ...
Does anyone know what's stamped on the original clutch?
thank you all, for your help, and I know my car better today.
other thing I learn don't do a transmission unless you have a very strong friend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: