VA-2 Rear diff plug gasket - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default VA-2 Rear diff plug gasket

Does anyone have the part number for the VA-2 (05 XT Turbo) rear diff drain plug gasket. The parts guy at the local subaru parts counter said there isn't one, but I'm pretty sure he was looking at the T type. Easier if I just walk in with a part number.

Do I need one or two (one for the top, one for the bottom)?

Ton of work to do this weekend. Timing belt, Drive's side inner CV boot, transmission fluid change, front and rear diff. 105k, figure I should get to the timing belt and fluid changes finally, and just notice the torn CV changing the oil this weekend. Sigh!

Thanks!

Tom
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited

To answer my own question - New part number 803918060 found here: Subaru changes diff plug gaskets - Automotive Service Professional

but the torque listed there must be way off, since the FSM lists 21.4 ft-lbs for the old type. Not sure what that means for the new type.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
avk

Car: '06 WX8: my "Outback">yours

Something to add to this. The gasket p/n 11126AA040 is still available and it's the same kind as the one on the engine oil pan, only a different size: the diameter is 18 mm. A 6-cyl. car used three of these: two for the diff., and one for 5EAT transmission. FSM indeed specifies 21.4 lb-ft of torque. I believe it's the correct value for the above part because that's the p/n found in the same-year parts catalog (in my case, 2006).
By the way, although the M18 transmission and rear diff. plugs are interchangeable on 6-cyl. models, the former takes a TP50 (or 8 mm hex) driver bit, while both of the latter take a 10 mm hex bit.
A mention of TP50 might be worth including in JazzyMT's sticky thread, which is unfortunately locked.
PS Thinking some more, any 18 mm oxygen sensor gasket should do the job.
avk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: