Bubbles in coolant - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bubbles in coolant

Hi,

I was checking today a 1999 outback a friend wants to buy. The car was cold and when I inspected the coolant I saw some small (1mm) static bubbles in it, that were slightly lighter colored than the coolant. I didn't look at the coolant while it was running :S

How do the bubbles in the coolant look when the HGs are leaking? Do they stay in the coolant a long time? The owners said HGs were done in 2007, but they could easily be gone again.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 01:11 PM

Car: 01 Outback LL Bean
I would run.....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 03:16 PM

Car: 2007 Outback XT Ltd
Most likely a head gasket has gone. If your buddy really wants the car, take it to a mechanic and have him check for combustion gasses in the coolant using an emissions sniffer, while the engine is running at full operating temperature.

If the test is positive, forget that car, or work the cost of a double head gasket repair, and possibly head replacement, into the deal.

Bubbles aren't necessarily a deal breaker, but they sure are a danger signal! Unless it was an especially cherry car and I was prepared for the hassles, downtime and expense of major repairs, I would look at other vehicles.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

http://www.spokanister.net
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 05:11 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Could be something else but man the EJ25D in that car is not only a headgasket eater - is the most grievous EJ25D of all the 3 headgasket eating varieties to own. you want to do all you can to avoid not just the headgasket but a previously overheated engine - which replaced headgaskets suggests a high probability of overheating. when the EJ25D overheats - the first sign is immediate and random overheating, regardless of coolant level...so they are often run hot before it's ever caught...causing future lower end bearing issues. the later EJ25's give lots of warning with external leaks, etc and don't overheat until you run out of coolant and then are fine as long as they are filled.

if you're worried they do sell kits to test for exhaust gases in the coolant - the proper, and only, consistent headgasket test for that motor. though i've seen them pass that test even on ocassion.

H6 VDC OBW, H6 OB Sedan, XT6's, castrated LSi - FWD EJ18
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

My buddy went back to check it today and bubbles could only be seen when looking with a torchlight. He's going ahead and checking it at a dealership.

Let's see what happens!

ricardo
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 05:26 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
"checking it at a dealership"....i wouldn't put any faith or value in that unless they test for exhaust gases in the coolant. they must do that test, at the very least. find a mechanic that will do that test.

i also wouldn't want the car until you verify Subaru headgaskets were installed when the work was done. you don't want aftermarket gaskets on that engine.

H6 VDC OBW, H6 OB Sedan, XT6's, castrated LSi - FWD EJ18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: