Adding power seats to 1997 subaru outback - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Adding power seats to 1997 subaru outback

I have a 97 outback and the seats were severely neglected leather seats that were hard as a covered wagon so I was getting something else at the junkyard (ecu went bad on injector driver signal for cylinder number one but new ecu fixed issue) and I came across a car that had heated seats and decent leather that matched my color scheme so I made a deal and grabbed them up. I thought Id have to wire up most of it myself from an auxilery fuse block I placed in engine compartment, but upon removing my seats, I found that the connector is already there. but I had already opened the center console to put the heated seat switches in place and not seen the wiring harness, but I didn't really look either. so I'm thinking they wire the car the same and just add the seats and switch. Does anyone know if this is correct or have any input having solved this issue themselves? And dont worry I am not one of those guys who will ask a question then solve it and never get back to the forum. I will update all my findings and results so others may learn from my experience....or mistakes.
Lokahi117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

if the wiring is there you should be able to install the switch and fuse and be good to go. the wiring harness is integrated and huge so it should all be there.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Ok I got it in and working and will include a youtube video of how it goes together (assuming they allow the posting of links like that). The wiring is there on my model and it was pretty much dash disassembly and then hook in the new switches in place of the small compartment which holds change and other junk (screwbits etc) that is right next to the emergency brake. And I will say this, Im not sure about all the other posts saying they dont work, they work awesome in this car. very warm with leather seats, though I could see how cloth seats would not be as dramatically warm, but with leather its a "hot" addition. (sorry couldn't help myself, Im a pun fanatic)
Lokahi117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokahi117 View Post
And I will say this, Im not sure about all the other posts saying they dont work, they work awesome in this car
i'm one that shrugs at them. glad you like them.

i've never seen a Subaru heated seat that warms the rider up significantly before the car itself is already blowing hot air into the cabin.

maybe my cars warm up quicker due to mountains or i get too cold working outside and want lots of heat, not just a little in one small area of my body...usually hands/feet that are cold, not core when you start going numb. no ones butt or back go numb first when you're really cold. they're neat for sure and nice sometimes...just not a lot of "go" for me.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: