Overfilled fuel tank -- what to expect - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Default Overfilled fuel tank -- what to expect

Been travelling and pulled into an Exxon station to fill up. I expected the pump to click off at around 8-1/2 gallons, so I slowed the pump rate shortly before reaching that point, as I have done at every fill up. However, the nozzle didn't shut off as I expected, and fuel came out of the filler tube, at which point I let go of the trigger to stop the flow.

I know that this can cause liquid fuel to get into the charcoal canister, but not ever having had this experience before, I'm wondering what to expect, if anything. What experiences have others had when this has happened, either due to a faulty nozzle or by "topping up"?
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5i AT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I'VE overfilled my 2010 jetta and never experienced a problem. Just make sure you clean up theoutside of the car of residual fuel.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

no big deal, happens all the time, i've never heard of it causing an issue and it never has for me before. i travel a lot - twice i've looked out the store window to see a pool of gas around the rear of my car and gas still sloshing out the nozzle/fuel door because it didn't shut off and i often go inside when traveling....i don't condone or recommend that, just saying it's not a big deal.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

You would have had to get the filler neck and the overflow tube filled with gasoline for it to get into the canister.

Don't worry about it.

cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
You would have had to get the filler neck and the overflow tube filled with gasoline for it to get into the canister.
That's what happened. ". . . the nozzle didn't shut off as I expected, and fuel came out of the filler tube, at which point I let go of the trigger to stop the flow." So the tube must have been filled, at least for a moment.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav

As long as you drive it far enough to lower the level immediately after the overfill, I would not expect there to be a problem. If you drove it 1/2 mile after the fillup, and parked it in your garage, it could contaminate the charcoal canister. But if you drive it enough to use .5 gallons or so, you should be fine.
4wheeldog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

I could not take it out for a longer drive last night so, yes, it only went a mile or two.

Drove about 500 miles today and no problems. I'll see what happens tomorrow as the car goes through a second full "drive cycle" and repeats the "monitor" tests.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box

Happened to me with my 2008 a few weeks ago. The pump clicked and I had a whopping 24 cents to go to make it an even dollar (it was a rare time where I paid cash). That 24 cents went on the ground. I was quite surprised it didn't stop a little further from that point, must have stopped at the last possible second! Guess I won't do that again!

I saw no issues. I probably burned off the "extra" on my ride home and I rinsed that area of the car pretty well.

New one:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Box TRD Sport
Bone Stock for Now
jp1203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

I am a fairly new Subaru ob owner. The guy i bought the car from warned me about filling the tank to the top because it will cause gas to spill out. I thought he was nuts when he said this but it did happen the one time i filled up the car! It really freaked me out! Alot of gas poured out on the ground and it lasted for a while. Is this some kind of design flaw in this car or is something else wrong? Someone did replace the filler neck on my car so maybe they screwed it up somehow?
crshbandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Sometimes, when the fuel pump head stops before the tank is filled its a venting issue indicating a closed vent valve for the EVAP.

When the pump head does not shut off, its a problem with the pump head, not the car.

cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: