Subaru Outback Forums banner

Shimming when cranking wheel getting progessively worse

878 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  1 Lucky Texan 
#1 ·
My wife has a 2006 Outback. It has a weepy head gasket which I am nursing until I can scare up the funds to repair. I am okay with a wrench, but feel unqualified to tackle a head gasket and get the car back on the road over the course of a weekend.

Now she has a steering issue. It started several months ago where when turning tightly in a parking lot there was a barely perceivable shake or shimmy in the steering wheel. I checked the power steering fluid and this is at an acceptable level. The problem has grown and is now obvious at times while steering around a corner and the like.

Is this a failing power steering pump? Is this something I can fairly easily replace myself in an afternoon.

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

#2 ·
look for bubbles in the PS tank while idling. not sure about an 06, but some previous year models can suck air into the fluid pas some o-rings or bad hose connections. But usually there's a whining sound.

if there is a regular bind/free/bind/free kind of feeling, might be the universal joint in the steering shaft.

Just to be sure, it isn't the car that is bucking/jerking during tight circles? Tires all the same size? torque bind will cause a jerking feeling when maneuvering on dry pavement. felt in the car - not the wheel specifically though.

#3 ·
look for bubbles in the PS tank while idling. not sure about an 06, but some previous year models can suck air into the fluid pas some o-rings or bad hose connections. But usually there's a whining sound.

if there is a regular bind/free/bind/free kind of feeling, might be the universal joint in the steering shaft.

Just to be sure, it isn't the car that is bucking/jerking during tight circles? Tires all the same size? torque bind will cause a jerking feeling when maneuvering on dry pavement. felt in the car - not the wheel specifically though.

I will check the bubbles suggestions.

The tires are all fairly new and the same type.

When turning in a tight circle in a parking lot, it has a strain-release type pulsing that cycle every second or so.

Thanks!

#4 ·
My wheel felt like it was trying to jerk itself out my hand, back to the center position when I neared the end of the turning radius or lock to lock. I did the O-ring solution without any success. That problem is more likely to occur in H6 models.

Unfortunately, my symptoms were caused by a failing power steering pump at about 150K miles. How many miles does yours have? Fortunately, I found one online for $50 shipped, including the pulley and the mounting rack. I'm not sure about your engine because it is a 3rd generation and mine is a second, but it was very easy to install. If you decide you need a PS pump based on your symptoms, I suggest you get a used one (not local auto parts store "Like or comperable to OEM") or from a Subaru parts dealer or dealership. You might as well get the hoses as well. Remember that these cars use ATF and not power steering fluid in the reservoir.

#6 ·
My wheel felt like it was trying to jerk itself out my hand, back to the center position when I neared the end of the turning radius or lock to lock. I did the O-ring solution without any success. That problem is more likely to occur in H6 models.

Unfortunately, my symptoms were caused by a failing power steering pump at about 150K miles. How many miles does yours have? Fortunately, I found one online for $50 shipped, including the pulley and the mounting rack. I'm not sure about your engine because it is a 3rd generation and mine is a second, but it was very easy to install. If you decide you need a PS pump based on your symptoms, I suggest you get a used one (not local auto parts store "Like or comperable to OEM") or from a Subaru parts dealer or dealership. You might as well get the hoses as well. Remember that these cars use ATF and not power steering fluid in the reservoir.
The car has the 2.5 SOHC engine and about 98k. I will try flushing the system and the others, and then if necessary find a "new" pump. Thanks for the ATF reminder and an idea as to the cost.

#7 ·
When turning in a tight circle in a parking lot, it has a strain-release type pulsing that cycle every second or so.

if automatic, you can try installing the FWD fuse, then test in tight circle in a parking lot.

search on 'torque bind' - the symptoms are not jerking when turning the wheel, but jerking when driving in a tight circle on dry pavement so, it may depend on the actual complaint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.