Defective Timing Belt Part? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2003 Subaru Legacy L Outback Wagon 2.5L AT, 2004 Legacy Outback 2.5L AT, 2000 Legacy Outback 2.5L AT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Defective Timing Belt Part?

I purchased a new Suburu branded timing belt from the dealer. Two of the teeth on the timing belt have metal wire that looks like it may have been used to stitch the belt together. Is this a defective belt or is this normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Defective Timing Belt Part?-defective-subaru-timing-belt.jpg  
icesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: Little Red, 2000 Outback H4 "Limited"
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

I just took a look at the TB I took off of my 2000 OB when it had about 125K miles on it and it has the same wires. So two observations. 1. It isn't unusual and most likely where the belt was stitched together. They had to make it into a loop somehow. 2. I wouldn't trust it for more than about 125K miles.
DavidPeab is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPeab View Post
I just took a look at the TB I took off of my 2000 OB when it had about 125K miles on it and it has the same wires. So two observations. 1. It isn't unusual and most likely where the belt was stitched together. They had to make it into a loop somehow. 2. I wouldn't trust it for more than about 125K miles.
Have you seen my video on the timing belt? I wouldn't go much over 100k.

cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

cardoc:

Some questions related to the video, to expand on what has already been offered:

What's the issue with the belt in the video? Is it loose because the belt has stretched beyond the tensioner's ability to compensate, or is it because the tensioner isn't functioning properly to maintain the tension? (Either, of course, is a reason to do the timing belt service.)

Is that much stretch seen often with belts after 105k miles of use?

Are the wires in fact stitching of two joined ends of the belt?

If so, is this common construction on these belts?

And, in your experience, do the belts tend to break more often at this point?
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: Little Red, 2000 Outback H4 "Limited"
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

I inherited the car with 120K miles on it and fixed other stuff that would help me determine if I was going to keep it. When I got to the point of no return on costs and my labor time I did the belt. Took a risk and drove with a sense of dread until I go it done. The 125K remark was one of my lame sarcastic "insights" rather than a suggestion.
DavidPeab is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I have had Gen 1 cars with high mileage that had cracked belts and remained tight. The Gen 2 up cars are tending to be loose when I open them up as seen in the video. All of them. So I am inclined to think the belt is stretching beyond the tensioner's ability since the tensioners are maxed every time. Bando made the belts for early engines. I don't know who makes them now but it seems the stretching is the #1 reason to replace it at the time required.

Yes, stitching looks normal and I haven't had issues with belts breaking at the stitching so I don't worry about it. The 2k Outback 2.5 I just bought and am working on now with 179k miles has a loose belt. Not as loose as the video, I can't slide it off like I did that one, but loose. So I know its been changed at least once.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

cardoc

Thanks for that info. With the belt as loose as it appears in the video, and the tensioner maxed out, there couldn't have been much grip between the back of the belt and the smooth water pump pulley. Was the car overheating? (Sort of, "loose belt = overheating, while the belt cogs are still able to drive the camshafts".)
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain OM View Post
cardoc

Thanks for that info. With the belt as loose as it appears in the video, and the tensioner maxed out, there couldn't have been much grip between the back of the belt and the smooth water pump pulley. Was the car overheating? (Sort of, "loose belt = overheating, while the belt cogs are still able to drive the camshafts".)
There wasn't a complaint of overheating. Just overdue, and I did some other work to get it caught up.

I'll give viewers another insight. Just based on the odds of occurrence, when you do your spark plugs, do the valve cover seals and tube seals also. Chances are high the tube seals are leaking at the time the sparks are due. And another oddity is that I saw a string, 4 2.5 SOHC engines that all had #1 tube seal deformed from what looked like poor installation. One was an 01, the others were 04-05.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: