Was "Head Gasket Issues" been fixed in 2013 Outback? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2013 OB 2.5 CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Was "Head Gasket Issues" been fixed in 2013 Outback?

Hi all,

Was "Head Gasket Issues" been fixed by Subaru?
Are newer engines good to go? Or may have the same issue?
I'm looking at 2013 Outback that comes in 2 models 4 2.5 and 6 3.6.
Which one doesn't have this issue or never had?

Thanks.

Mike.
mikek753 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks.

Mike.
2000 through early 2002 hg issue was due to a gasket problem. When properly fixed it was no longer an issue. All makers can have hg issues no one knows long term durability on the new FB engines however the diagrams of the new heads and block would suggest the partially closed deck design would reduce the chances of leaky hg. The H6 has never had hg issues.

My Toyota blew three in three yrs cost was $8000 each time. My 2001 h4 leaky hg was $1500 and never had an issue again. You want 100% no risk lease the car
subiesailor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5 5speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
2000 through early 2002 hg issue was due to a gasket problem.
If that problem was fixed in 2002, what causes all the problems with the gen3?
Altadude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altadude View Post
If that problem was fixed in 2002, what causes all the problems with the gen3?
All of what problems? You wont find gen 3 hg failure rates any different than most other brands. The big difference is how the auto maker handles it. Subaru is well known for fixing failures that should have never happened. Even outside warranty coverage. A major reason I bought another Subaru.... All the other auto makers Ive delt with pretty much tell you to go f-off if you ask for assistance correcting an issue that should have never occured.

Keep propper maint records and Subaru will stand by their product.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Most Subarus have a rough life. That contributes to some of the failures. The good news is they are crazy easy to repair by the design nature of the engine.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
. . . no one knows long term durability on the new FB engines however the diagrams of the new heads and block would suggest the partially closed deck design would reduce the chances of leaky hg. The H6 has never had hg issues.. . .
I appreciate your views regarding the head gaskets, but as far as I can tell, the FB engine still has an open-deck design block.

This is FB:

This is the normally-aspirated pre-FB 2.5:

Here's the 2.5 turbo, where the added reinforcement at the top and bottom is apparent:

There might have been minor variations over the years, but to me the 2.5 and FB are open deck while the turbo is semi-open deck". But perhaps my understanding of the terminology is wrong . . .

Nevertheless, the FB does incorporate other changes that can impact on the HG, in particular, a significant change in the cooling system which is supposed to provide more even temperatures throughout the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Was "Head Gasket Issues" been fixed in 2013 Outback?-fb-block.jpg   Was "Head Gasket Issues" been fixed in 2013 Outback?-2.5-block.jpg   Was "Head Gasket Issues" been fixed in 2013 Outback?-2.5-turbo-block.jpg  
plain OM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

There was a great schematic someone found of the new FB about a year ago and it showed some spots where the deck vs head was some what captured per say vs the old EJ's were just flat head vs flat block with a slab of metal gasket tossed in. So any slight wrong doing on surface or poor gasket installation and you had a chance of springing a leak.

What makes the subaru engines different than all other engines is that the heads are very very short super compact and very strong making it a very rare case that a blown HG would require a new head. Where all the I4 engines and V6 and V8 engines the heads are long and can be pretty dang sensitive to warping as a gasket lets go which case the cost just went way up due to the need for a new head also.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5 5speed

Quote:
All of what problems? You wont find gen 3 hg failure rates any different than most other brands.
I have owned a lot of different cars through the years, and the only cars I have had head gasket problems on are the Subaru, and a Mustang I was drag racing running 14 pounds of boost. All the Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Jeep engines my family have owned have never had a head gasket failure in under 300k miles. Subaru is the only forum I have visited that has a special forum dedicated to head gasket failures. You can read through the thread about logging head gasket failures and see that the problems didn't stop with 2002. I guess your idea of normal head gasket failure and mine are different.
Altadude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.

I'm stunned to find out that the FB engine doesn't incorporate a semi enclosed deck! After all the problems that subaru has had with head gasket leaks, I thought sure that they would eliminate the problem once and for all.

Nevertheless, subaru did install the MLS gasket in the 2010 legacy, and I assume that they also installed an MLS gasket in the FB engines. It's probable that the MLS gasket will eliminate the HG leaks. Still, I just can't believe that subaru let a small saving in engine manufacture jeopardise their reputation.
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks.

Mike.
We'll find out in 4 or 5 years.
joe_pinehill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: