Subaru Outback Forums banner

Dented Front Oxygen Sensor

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  loveflying 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I was under the car the other day and noticed that the front O2 sensor has a big dent in it. Should the sensor be replaced because of that? The car seems to run fine. Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 ·
Nope.

If you see check-engine lights, weird driving issues, changes in MPG then it's a suspect.

If the dent is going to make it much more difficult to remove after a few years of rust have accumulated, then again- maybe.

But no reason to change it now on the strength of the dent alone.

#3 ·
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless not fixing it will cause it to break.

#8 ·
Subaru nearly always uses Denso sensors. I don't have positive confirmation for the '96 California. Many Subarus have had issues with Bosch probes installed in the front position. Bosch probes at the rear position seem fine though.
Not necessarily. Suby uses Bosch as an oem replacement also.
Have had at least 3 occurences when the owner went to get a new O2 from dealer and they were Bosch.

Haven't checked on my own to see what they stock (was just there today too!)

O.

#7 ·
dent = no.

front O2 sensors never need replaced unless you get a CEL or have degraded gas mileage.

i sometimes pre-emptively replace them around 100k - 150k simply because i plan on owning the cars until 300k - and they will likely get lazy by that mileage so might as well get the best use out of a new one by replacing it early.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.