2005 Fuel Filter Replacement - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2005 Fuel Filter Replacement

I am about to perform the 60K service on my 2005 Outback 2.5 SOHC. My Chilton service manual says that the fuel filter is located on the passenger side of the fuel tank- it is part of the fuel pump and sending unit assembly. The filter is held in place by molded-in clips and can be replaced. The manual shows the procedure. When I went to two separate dealers to buy the filter, each told me that the filter was not replaceable by itself. One showed me the illustration in the parts manual that depicts a canister that contains the pump and filter, it did not look like the Chilton's photo. The filter was not listed as a separate part.
I would open the tank up to check this out, but Chilton's says the pump cover gasket must be replaced upon reassembly. This gasket is about $37 and would be a waste of money just to look. To re-use the old gasket would risk an air leak that would set the CEL.
Has anyone opened up the tank to check for a filter?

BTW- I got on Techinfo.subaru.com and it did not provide instructions for filter replacement.
I was able to access the site for a day or two before I had to provide a password as a registered user. My understanding is that this site is only available for a subscription fee.
Brooklyn1951 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2007, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 98 OBW 2.5 Ruby Red Pearl
Send a message via MSN to hawg

Most newer vehicles do not have a replaceable fuel filter. They are made as part of what they now call the fuel pump module. In order to replace them you must replace the fuel pump. And those parts can be very expensive. The most popular fuel pump we sell is right at $385.00. If the parts person said it is part of that then I'd believe him. Another thing most people do not realize is that by constantly letting thier cars run at 1/4 tank or less is helping to make the fuel pump go south much quicker. The fuel acts as a coolant for the pump, so I always fill up @ 1/2 tank.
1993 Corvette 40th Anniversary Convertible
1994 Suzuki RF900
2000 Harley FLHTCI
2003 VDC Wagon
hawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2007, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Fuel filter replacement

No doubt you and the parts people are correct. My '06 Honda Pilot does not have a replaceable filter either. My guess is that better filtration at the gas station and plastic fuel tanks in the vehicle have done much to improve fuel cleanliness.
However, what has confused me is that in addition to the Chilton's book procedure for replacing the filter, Subaru's own maintenance schedule lists fuel filter replacement at 30K intervals.
Anyway, one less thing to do!
Old 02-11-2007, 11:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
IDK....my BFF Jill.......

Car: 2002 WRX MBP

Subaru's maint. schedule says to replace the fuel filter every 30k on all models EXCEPT LEGACY AND OUTBACK.
Mistake
America
ivwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2007, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Fuel Filter

ivwarrior,

You are right. According to the maintenance schedule on the Subaru website, the filter does not call for replacement on the Legacy and Outback models. However, my Chilton's (actually Haynes- I should have known not to trust it) manual lists the service. I stand corrected.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT

wow, the more i hear the more i don't want a new subaru ..........

not having a replaceable fuel filter is right up there with some of the stupidest design issues i've ever heard. when i first had to deal with an in tank pump i was annoyed, but i stll had the option of changing the fuel filter.

i'd say leaving the fuel cleaning to the distributors is a "iffy bet", one that apparently the owners of the car get to pay through the nose for if they lose ..........

wonder if they'll keep this design with the diesel ? cause everyone knows diesel filters never need to be changed ;]
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2007, 07:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 98 OBW 2.5 Ruby Red Pearl
Send a message via MSN to hawg

It is not just Subaru. About every manufacturer today, do not have a fuel filter that can be replaced.
1993 Corvette 40th Anniversary Convertible
1994 Suzuki RF900
2000 Harley FLHTCI
2003 VDC Wagon
hawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: