2000 Subaru Outback Limited Alternator Issue - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2000, Subaru Outback Limited, 2.5L H4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 Subaru Outback Limited Alternator Issue

Car: 2000 Subaru Outback AWD Limited 2.5L H4 - 212,322KM on it: Up to date with Regular maintenance

So, I have been having an issue with my Subaru for while, what happens is the car will be driving properly for a bit but all of the sudden out of the blue the ABS light will come on and then my gauges act up stereo flickers then the AWD shuts off and my lights flash and the car creeps to a stop, Since then I've replaced my Alternator with a Refurbished BOSCH AL4304X, and a new battery, the issue was gone for a few weeks then all of the sudden it happened again, but the car can be turned back on if jumped by another car but I can't have AC, Lights, or stereo, and it lags when turning on, Also, since then I hear a whining coming from the engine, and my brakes seem to seize on the front right end and they moan as well, when all this shutting down happens it resets my tachometer and resets my clock to 1:00.

So the voltage on the battery when off is 12.2V; when the car is on its 12.4V the alternator has the same voltage when its on, but when revving the voltage on the alternator jumps up, but when AC is on it drops to 10V, then just the lights 11V and the stereo is 11V, but when all are on it drops to zero quickly and the car shuts down and wont turn over unless boosted.

Any help would be much appreciated I am a first time posted so hopefully this post is suffice!

Thanks much - Dimitalus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 04:37 AM

Car: 2000 Outback Ltd.
Check your cable connections at the battery and all the grounds. Make sure that they are clean and tight. If they are, then your remanufactured alternator is probably dying and not capable of charging your battery. Your battery should be 12.6 volts when off and about 13.4 volts and above when on. Bring your alternator back and get another one under warranty.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 07:51 AM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
No mention of the Battery/Charge warning light coming on. Turn the key to ON but do not start the engine. The instrument panel warning lights should come on including the one for the Battery/Charge. If it does come on, tap the instrument panel to see that it stays on. If it does not come on, or it flickers, then the bulb is probably bad. The alternator will not function properly in that case.

To check the grounds, start the engine, turn on some lights (e.g., headlights) and rev the engine to about 1000 rpm or more. Measure the Voltage between the battery negative post (not the cable clamp) and the alternator metal case. It should not be more than 0.2 Volts, and typically it would be less than 0.1 Volt. If it is, then there's bad grounds, and the alternator, although it might be perfectly good, will not maintain the battery charge.

Also, measure the Voltage between the battery positive post and the large output terminal of the alternator. As with the ground check, the Voltage should be very low.

In both cases, higher Voltage can indicated bad connections (as BoarderM noted) or corroded cables. Sometimes a cable can become corroded inside the plastic outer cover, or where the connectors at the ends are clamped onto the actual wire of the cable. Both are not going to readily apparent.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 10:03 AM

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Dito on the grounds. Another scenario is ditch the Bosch alternator and install a Mitsubishi Electric rebuilt.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the quick response, the grounds are all tested and are good, I have cleaned all the connections to the battery, when the key is turned that battery light will come on and stay on until the car is started, after that the only light that shows up is ABS light before it all shuts down, and after i get a boost it will say low gas for about 15minutes, even at full, I'll take the Alternator back, i just hope the car makes it 80km before breaking down again! I'll do another test of the grounds in the method that Plain OM said and I'll get back to you, thanks again!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 02:34 PM

I have to agree, sounds like the re-man has a bad regulator. Bosch used to be a dependable brand, but since lowest bidders win, they have been unreliable as of late.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 08:52 PM

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Subaru switched to Mitsubishi alternators in 99 I think. Maybe 2000. Anywho, just because the part store says it fits, doesn't mean it works.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Well did all the tests above and it all points to the alternator, could anyone be able to link the type of Mitsubishi alt i will need? Can't seem to find any info on it :/

And again, thank you for the fast responses i really like this forum! i will be here for awhile!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: