Drain and fill vs. Flush and fill - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2006
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Drain and fill vs. Flush and fill

Hi all,

I need to get tranny, front and rear diff, and power steering fluid all changed out. I had these done about 20K miles ago. She's about to break 100K in the next couple of days.

I'm VERY leery of getting the flush and fill and these fluids, especially the tranny.

The dealer and local shops want to charge a small fortune for these fluids to be changed out. I'm looking at close to $450 for all 3.

Would you all recommend a drain a fill vs a flush? Also, if we go with the drain, how many times should I have it drained and filled? I'v heard of folks draining and then filling after 2 weeks, rinse and repeat, but due to time constraints, I'd like to get it all done in one shot.

Thoughts? Thank you and if I missed something, please let me know.

BTW, getting tired of the dealer and the local Subi guy telling me my fluids are always dirty in a ploy to get money out of me. Hence I come to you all to get the low down on what I really should do.

I appreciate everyone's help.
radgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wait you had all this done 20K ago and your doing it again? WHY?

My wife had the same issue. I gave her some responses to try out and see which works best.

Her top favorite is "In her best blond valley girl imitation voice (she's not a blond BTW) she says Oh wow really? Like I just replaced them last week? Do you really think they would get so very umm Dirty that fast?" She holds an MBA from HAAS Berkeley and is a Stock Analyst which involves knowing **** that most people have never even heard of before. LOL

She says the response is the same every time - Oh Uhhhh so you replaced the fluids? Ok we'll just check them again next time.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Like I said, both the dealer and my local Subi shop guy all say the fluids are dirty, etc.... I remember I had all those done about 2-3 years ago. I put 10-12K miles on my vehicle per year, maybe a little more.

Here's another question: would there be tell-tale signs that car would be giving me if these really needed to be changed out?

I want to keep her in pristine condition, but if this is a waste, I need to know.

I appreciate your input. BTW, when I had them changed, it was only a drain and fill. No flushes.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Subaru Outback Limited

Front and rear diffs are a non servicable fluid. Should be inspected but should not need changing especially 20k miles
Old 08-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Flush and drain are similar sort of. Both involve replacing the old fluid one is just draining the fluid and replacing what came out. The other is using various tools which allows them put new fluid in while the old fluid is forced out the other side per say. Brake flushing is pretty typical given with brakes thats just how it works. Transmissions its generally safer to simply drain and fill.

Read your owners manual pretty sure the Subaru Automatics are around 60,000 mile drain and fill rotations. Brakes are roughly the same. Coolant ie radiator most of them are 100,000 mile coolant.

My your a girl getting fed a line of BS flag went up the second I read your first post. Sounds to me like they just want to get into your ---- Wallet...
Old 08-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtef9 View Post
Front and rear diffs are a non servicable fluid. Should be inspected but should not need changing especially 20k miles
Wrong front and rear diff's are typical hypoid gear oil which generally gets changed depending on vehicle type etc 30-60K. Most subarus I recall are pretty typical 60K cycles. Though 30K in some cases is fine too. Rear diff drain and fill should not cost more than $40 front diff maybe $50.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

SS, would you recommend I wait until she breaks 120K to get these done?

Here's the break down of the charges:

$103.70 - tranny drain and fill
$143.31 - front and rear diff flush and fill
$161.11 - power steering flush and fill

Again, I do recall getting these changed out about 2-3 years ago - somewhere between the 60K and 80K range, pretty sure it was closer to the 80K mark.

Should I just go about getting my oil change done and leave it at that for now?

If I could do this stuff myself, I would. But again, I rely on people who supposedly know what they are doing. I don't buy into most of what they say, but since she's approaching 100K very soon, I worry and wonder.

Any signs I should be looking for from the car?
Old 08-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

SS, I try to use this myself. But I'm getting tired of the BS they feed me and really start to wonder when they are lying and when they are telling the truth.

I know everyone is out to make a dime, but honesty would be nice.

Wait, that's why I come to you all. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
Wait you had all this done 20K ago and your doing it again? WHY?

My wife had the same issue. I gave her some responses to try out and see which works best.

Her top favorite is "In her best blond valley girl imitation voice (she's not a blond BTW) she says Oh wow really? Like I just replaced them last week? Do you really think they would get so very umm Dirty that fast?" She holds an MBA from HAAS Berkeley and is a Stock Analyst which involves knowing **** that most people have never even heard of before. LOL

She says the response is the same every time - Oh Uhhhh so you replaced the fluids? Ok we'll just check them again next time.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radgirl View Post
SS, would you recommend I wait until she breaks 120K to get these done?

Here's the break down of the charges:

$103.70 - tranny drain and fill
$143.31 - front and rear diff flush and fill
$161.11 - power steering flush and fill

Again, I do recall getting these changed out about 2-3 years ago - somewhere between the 60K and 80K range.

Should I just go about getting my oil change done and leave it at that for now?

If I could do this stuff myself, I would. But again, I rely on people who supposedly know what they are doing. I don't buy into most of what they say, but since she's approaching 100K very soon, I worry and wonder.

Any signs I should be looking for from the car?
:-) -- do it based on miles those three things you listed are typically recommended every 50-60,000 miles especially if you live in a harsh weather location then the cycle length gets shorter. So in your case 120-130,000 is probably going to be about right.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you. I will save myself some money, some headache, some heartache, and go buy myself or the car something instead.

Around the 120-130K, we can revisit this again.

Thank you. I think I can breath a sigh of relief. And when I get my oil changed and they say that the fluids are dirty and need to be changed, I'll them it needs to wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: