Timing belt--replace or not? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2000 Outback Ltd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Timing belt--replace or not?

The maintenance book for my 2000 Outback says replace the timing belt at 105,000 miles. My dealer, West Houston Subaru, says replace it at 60,000. That adds $300 to what would otherwise be a $600 service--same as at 30,000 miles. Is the dealer just increasing his revenue, or does he know something I don't?

Has anyone else dealt with this question? Is it reasonable to expect the belt to last only 57% of its rated life? In case climate matters, I live in Houston, Texas. You can count on both hands the number of times the winter temps drop into the low 30's here, however we see the 90's in seven or eight months of the year, so any machine affected by heat is affected by the heat here.

Any experience or opinions? Thanks.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 08:58 PM
Superb Moderator

Car: MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
One word--Interference. That is the kind of engine you have. An interference engine. That means when the timing belt breaks, there is a 99.9% chance your valves will hit your pistons and create havoc. So, now the question is, do you want the assurance of a new belt? Or do you want to take the chance...

Me, I would wait until four years or 60k personally. Time will deteriorate the belt, as will mileage, heat, etc. The price for the belt versus the other things for the usual service should be totally seperate. I mean, if your were quoted $300 for the belt replacement including the rest of the service, I'm sure you could hold of on the belt for a while and only be charged $300 when you want to do it then. They won't be any closer to the timing belt when they do the other service.

So it's up to you. 105k is too far in my book for the type of engines we have. However, a newer belt could realistically break also...Oh well. Choices, choices. Make the one you fell good about. Brian

If you can't see into the future, you aren't driving fast enough
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 02:06 AM

Car: Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
Send a message via Yahoo to Jondalar
I agree with Brian, 105K miles seems very long.. I'm almost totally sure that Subaru in Australia recommend replacement at 100,000km which is about 60,000 miles. We have a similar climate here to Texas. Cheers, Karl

Loving Turbo Diesel power
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 10:57 AM
OBS Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to BlueRidge
I have read so many conflicting reports on this. Some people insist that it should be done at 60k, others say 105k is fine. On the interference engines I would agree that 105k is too long to wait b/c of the reprecussions if it goes. On the 2.2 non-interference I have read that as long as it is inspected at every major service it is fine to wait till the recommended mileage to change it. Anyway, since you are having that other big service done this is what I would do. Wait another 10-15k miles then then have the TB, water pump, cam seals and crank seals all done together.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Timing belt...the word from Subaru

Thanks, guys, for the comments. I sent an inquiry to Subaru, and below is the reply I received. They didn't exactly pass the buck, but ... they still pushed the decision back to me.

"Our recommendations are to follow the SCHEDULE OF INSPECTION AND MAINTENANCE SERVICS CHART found in your Warranty and Maintenance booklet. On page 42, the maintenance intervals for Camshaft drive belt are inspections at 30,000 60,000 90,000 miles or months; whichever occurs first. Replacement at 105 months or 105,000 miles; whichever occurs first.

The symbol (i) in the chart references = Inspect, correct or replace if necessary.

If the dealer has determined that your vehicle should have this item replaced, then we would recommend you follow his advice. However, this is your vehicle and what service/maintenance is done to the vehicle is ultimately your decision."

Of course, the dealer did not determine that my vehicle needed the early replacement, it is just a matter of their standard practice. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and pay the man.

Thanks again for all the advice and comments.

Bill
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 01:14 PM
Lord of ScoobyMods

Car: 01' OB Wagon / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
I say wait and here is why. The 2.5L motor (and some others) have a common problem of the front crank oil seal going bad. When this happens, normally between 50 and 80K, they have to go in there anyway. When my 97 OB hit 70K I had the crank seal leak. At that time I had them do the timing belt. It's the labor that costs the belt is cheap. Just a thought and heads up. You will be kicking yourself if you have it done and next year you get the crank seal leak. I'm not saying you will get the leak but it is not uncommon.

Peaty
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 05:36 PM
Tokyo's between my toes

Car: 2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
Quote:
90,000 miles or months
*G* yeah, 90,000 months sounds way too long... that would be better than the VW in the Woody Allen movie Sleeper.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 05:50 PM
Lord of ScoobyMods

Car: 01' OB Wagon / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Lizard

*G* that would be better than the VW in the Woody Allen movie Sleeper.
"Just my luck it landed on the back of a turtle!"

Cheers,

Peaty

www.ScoobyMods.com
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Lizard

*G* yeah, 90,000 months sounds way too long... that would be better than the VW in the Woody Allen movie Sleeper.
Yes, I noticed that typo, but of course, they're covered by the "whichever occurs first" provision. Unless, I cut w-a-a-y back on my driving, I'll almost certainly hit 90,000 miles before the car gets to 90,000 months. Hmm. 7,500 years--Charlton Heston could dig up my Outback next to the Statue of Liberty, find the email which I've placed in the glove compartment, and proclaim, "You bastards! You finally did it! ... but this old fossil fuel burning automobile still isn't due for a new timing belt!"

Bill
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 11:33 PM
Lea
Recruit

Car: 2001 outback 2.0
I had mine replaced at 85,000 due to a long trip I was planning with the kids. At that time they found that oil leak that Peaty mentioned. I still ended up paying 1,100.00 for everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: