Subaru Outback Forums banner

2005 Outback Rear Passenger Door Mechanism Snapped - Child Lock Engaged!

42K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  stevenva 
#1 ·
OK.. months ago I yanked too hard on the rear passenger side door handle on my 2005 Outback. I heard a plastic "snap" noise and then the sound of a piece of plastic falling inside (so much for Subaru being so durable!). Since then, I had to reach over to that inside door handle, if I wanted to use that door. I never got around to fixing it, or attempting....

Then... a couple of weeks ago, my friend thought he would be helpful, and switched the child-proof door lock on - wondering if that little thing (which he had no idea was), was the culprit. GREAT. THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your help... now I cannot open it AT ALL.

Is there anyway to take the door trim off without opening the door? Any ideas on how to fix this?

#2 ·
Ugh, that's not gonna be fun.

I don't know of a trick to getting it, hopefully someone else will pipe up.

Worst case:

1. take apart the left rear door (trim panel alone should be enough)
2. figure out the location of the release
3. drill a hole large enough to actuate the release in the plastic in the corresponding location of the right side door panel
4. open the door and remove the trim panel
5. repair the mechanism
6. glue a plastic plug into the hole to hide the evidence.

No, it isn't perfect but most people won't notice it, everyone would forgive it in an 8 year old car and it's pretty cheap in the end.

It's a bummer that your friend's help backfired, but I'd say that one's on you for not fixing it before he found it.

#3 ·
I'm not laughing. Really. At least it wasn't procrastination with an engine repair.

Rasterman's post reminds me of a Mazda TSB, I think, where the fix was to drill a hole in the exterior of the van door to access the electric lock mechanism to get the door open in order to remove the interior panel so you could replace the lock mechanism then repair the door. I found another way. Can't remember which one is was.

It sucks though. You may be able to fish a wire down in to the door with the window down and hook the latch lever to open it, or fish down to the lever on the child lock and get it unlocked so you can use the interior handle to open the door.

You could remove all the trim as you normally would, tilt the back seat forward and then try to get the panel pulled away enough to maybe lift it off the door.

Or, you now have a 3 door with hatchback.

#4 ·
An ambitious locksmith could probably get that open for you. :-D

I've had a few Eclipses with both exterior door handles broken :rolleyes: that I've been called to open. Not locked, just nothing to grab onto to open the door.

I've also had to pull door panels with the door closed, which is never fun either. Some of the early Accords were famous for the latch failing and the door won't open from either side. . . basically have to pull the seat and door panel and dremel it apart inside the door.

This would be a walk in the park compared to that.

Take apart the left side rear door, formulate a strategy, make a wedge to push the weatherstripping back, and use a wire tool to push down on the rod that goes from the outside handle to the latch.It will probably be easier with the window rolled down.

#6 ·
I've had a few Eclipses with both exterior door handles broken :rolleyes: that I've been called to open.
What generation? I would hope a locksmith would be wise to the idea that a wire tool inserted through a window strip (coat hanger wire for us civilians) can readily reach many a hatch release next to the driver's seat. Gotten into more than one car that way, Eclipse/Laser/Talon in particular.

plain OM's idea was where I was headed. Remember that you don't need to go straight from point of insertion to the child lock - you may need to insert the bent tool 45° rotated to get it under the weather strip, then turn to position, then push. By having the tool turned 45°, it is effectively 'flat' in the plane of access.

Looks like cardoc posted pics of a Gen. 2 door. Oops.

#5 ·
I believe the child lock is internal to the latch itself. In other words, when it's locked, none of the linkages connecting from the outside of the latch mechanism will release the latch (and allow the door to open).

Here's where it's located on my 07.

With the door closed, there's a gap between the door itself and the car body that's "closed" only by the inner weatherstripping. I was able to shut the door on a piece of single layer cardboard in that area, and then pull it out easily from the inside. This suggests that it might be possible to push a flat, flexible piece of plastic or metal toward the lock from the inside of the car. The "tool" would have to slip by the inner weatherstrip and bend, but as it completes the bend it might come against the lever. Pushing further might push the lever backwards toward the unlocked ("free") position.

The weatherstripping might be torn or surrounding surfaces might be scratched in the process, but it it seems to me that would be better than cutting into the inside trim, let alone the outer door.

Here's the location of the child lock:

And here I'm using a piece of shim blade metal to show how, pushing in from inside the car might push the child lock lever back, (The shim blade isn't stiff enough, but there must be something that can do this):

Attachments

#7 ·
It works!

Okay, so having thought of an idea, I decided to see if it will actually work, and it does.

I used a strip of plastic cut from a 2 liter frozen yogurt container:

Note that the end of the strip is slightly rounded -- at this point I was concerned about sharp edges scratching, but that wasn't necessary. I ended up cutting the end more flat so that it would not tend to move up or down around the door lock lever.

I engaged the child lock on the left rear door, and closed it. (I did have the window down so I could re-open the door from inside, but this was only so that I could quickly relock it to try again.) I then slipped the plastic strip in at the level of the child lock. I had to help it bend a bit for the sharp corner, but the weatherstrip wasn't a problem. The strip went in smoothly and as I pushed, I could feel the child lock lever snap back.

I repeated it over and over -- even demonstrated to others and it worked every time.

So, I hope tastyorange hasn't done anything more difficult or damaging.

Attachments

#34 · (Edited)
It works!

Okay, so having thought of an idea, I decided to see if it will actually work, and it does.

I used a strip of plastic cut from a 2 liter frozen yogurt container:

Note that the end of the strip is slightly rounded -- at this point I was concerned about sharp edges scratching, but that wasn't necessary. I ended up cutting the end more flat so that it would not tend to move up or down around the door lock lever.

I engaged the child lock on the left rear door, and closed it. (I did have the window down so I could re-open the door from inside, but this was only so that I could quickly relock it to try again.) I then slipped the plastic strip in at the level of the child lock. I had to help it bend a bit for the sharp corner, but the weatherstrip wasn't a problem. The strip went in smoothly and as I pushed, I could feel the child lock lever snap back.

I repeated it over and over -- even demonstrated to others and it worked every time.

So, I hope tastyorange hasn't done anything more difficult or damaging.
A few weeks ago, my rear door got stuck due to a broken door handle. In addition, I was unable to open the door due to a child safety lock, so I went online and found this old thread. I"m new to the board but I had to sign on to thank you "@plain OM" so much for your idea. I was able to use the thing strip of plastic to push out the child safety lock and opened the door from the inside to replace my door handle. You have saved me tons of headache and money. If you are in SD, i would definitely buy you a few beers. :)

#12 ·
I know this is an old thread. I could use some help on what need to be replaced. When attempting to open my rear door one day, I heard a snap and then something falling. Now I can't open the door. I had the dealer look at it and give me a quote, which was in the range of $3-400...part of that cost was painting a new handle to match my car color. My question -do I need to replace the handle or can the inner mechanism just be replaced? I'm going to talk to a small independent shop next week, but would like to have some info to work from first.

Thanks for your help!
Lisa

#16 ·
Update

Hi Lisa, what did you end up doing with your door lock issue? I experienced exactly the same issue yesterday -- opened the driver side rear passenger door and heard a snap (then something fell off inside the door trim). Looking forward to how you fixed yours. Thanks!

#13 ·
My question -do I need to replace the handle or can the inner mechanism just be replaced?
That will depend on what's broken.

Is it only the outside handle that won't open the door or can it not be opened using the inside handle as well? And if the inside handle doesn't work either, as in the case of the original post of this thread, is the child lock activated? (Also, if the inside handle doesn't work, are you sure the mechanical door lock switch is Off?)

I've sent a PM to tastyorange, the originator of this thread, to see if there's an update.

#14 ·
Ah ok, Thank you for checking or me! I was able to finally get outside and check...I can open the door from the inside. It broke last winter, I had assumed something froze and cracked. Sounds like there is a plastic piece involved in the inside mechanism, so I guess that is a possibility.

#15 ·
If the door can be opened from inside then most of the mechanism, including the latch itself, is okay. The outside door handle is connected to the latch with a cable. The cable connects to a hole in a lever on the back of the handle and is held there by a small plastic retainer. It's not unusual for the plastic retainer to break, and fall away. When it does the cable can come out of the hole and fall away. In this case, all that's really needed is to reattach the cable with a new retainer. It can be a challenge because there isn't much space inside there and access is difficult, but it's doable.

Another possibility is that the handle assembly itself might be faulty (for example, the lever might have broken), in which case the complete handle assembly would have to be replaced.

In either case the inner door trim has to be removed, which can only be done properly with the door open. As long as it can be opened you're okay.

Please let us know how it turns out.

#18 ·
I'd probably source a used handle from a wreck if yours is body color. Odds are pretty good you could find one between Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and ebay.com in the correct color. Have a body shop install it. . .the rears are simple compared to the front (which still aren't that bad). Handles are the same 05-09 from Legacy or Outback

Looks like the handles are now only sold unpainted, $42 list. Part no 61022AG03ANN (left rear outside handle). If yours is a base OB with black exterior door handles, that's all you need.

DOOR PARTS (LATCH & HANDLE). REAR.. Fits: 2005 Subaru Outback 25GT LIMITED XT 2.5L TURBO 5AT | Subaru Parts Online

#19 ·
This is very bizarre that the thread just got action again! Because, yesterday, I broke the handle on the other rear door on my 2005 Outback.
I recently, finally started to take apart the trim from the other door, after almost 2 years of putting it off. Now that both rear door handles snapped, I had to take action.

I was able to wrestle the door panel off the side with the child lock on. I was going to do it even if it meant damaging it. I had no choice. I was able to pull up the seat-cushion a bit to get leverage.
I took the panel off the side that just broke, as well. I also got tar (used to adhere the plastic drop-cloth wind barrier to the the door) all over myself and the seats. Why do they use tar???

Anyway... I had trouble switching the child lock to free. It feels stuck. Maybe I bent something. Sighhhhhh. I cannot open the %^&$# door! I pulled on the cables that connect to the outside handle... from the inside handles... I turned the door lock on, off.... I pulled and pulled.. I tried playing with the child lock switch. Maybe a cable is jammed? This is so frustrating... all because Subaru decided to use cheap "white metal" to make the door handle mechanisms that attached to the cable pulls.

How can I get the door open? Something is jammed. Even if the child lock is stuck... shouldn't I be able to pull the outside cable pull to open it?

Also... I think I need to purchase the whole outside door handles and paint them. I don't think the part that broke is separate. I only see Dorman and OEM online. I don't think I trust Dorman products, as the Dorman harmonic balancer that was put in last year (to replace the original that snapped off destroying my AC compressor connections!), was replaced this spring during my timing belt work, because it was already deteriorating.

Attachments

#22 ·
I wish I knew. I wasn't there. My friend took it somewhere... they wanted to $550 to do both doors.... But at least now it's openable and now I have to replace the handles.

I was looking at DOOR PARTS (LATCH & HANDLE). REAR.. Fits: Subaru | North Coast Subaru

and it looks like the OEM parts I need are cheapest from a dealer! I will call them tomorrow. I will also have to order automotive touch up spray online (unless the dealer has it for a reasonable price)

I also may need to get a new AC compressor. As the connectors are destroyed and it won't start. Any idea what brand I should get... or remanufactured? I will have to my mechanic put it in, if he agrees. As this is something I cannot do.

#23 ·
. . . .
I also may need to get a new AC compressor. As the connectors are destroyed and it won't start. Any idea what brand I should get... or remanufactured? I will have to my mechanic put it in, if he agrees. As this is something I cannot do.
I don't know, but there are others here who have lot's of experience with AC repairs. In fact, someone might have a spare (used) compressor. It's rare for the compressor itself to fail; more often the problems are elsewhere in the system, or as you experienced, physical damage.

I'd suggest a new thread on the compressor question.

#27 ·
Thanks for the pdf gtwmusafa! I ordered an OEM part on ebay the other day. I only ordered one side for now to see how it goes. I am going to have to order a can of white satin paint as well.

Now that there are two others who broke their handles, I know it wasn't just me!!!! I have a bad habit of checking to see if my doors are locked after I press the remote. I guess I will have to stop doing that.

BTW, how does the quality of the Dorman part look, compared to the Subaru?

#30 ·
Wow. I read this thread a week ago when it was bumped by new comments and thought, wow that sucks.

Of course tonight as I was getting home I opened my driver's side rear door and pulled a little too hard and heard the now infamous "crack and clunk" inside the door. So now I get to go fishing inside the door and replace the handle. Just what I wanted to do tonight.

gtwmusafa: Thanks for the pdf. That's a big help.

#31 ·
Wow. They must be all breaking at a certain age. I also saw a post on Amazon.com last week where someone's broke as well.
Someone commented here about getting one from a wreck if it is a body color. I would not recommend that, since it will be old, too. Why go through the trouble of putting in a part that might break soon? And sometimes these junkyards charge a lot for used parts.
I am still waiting for my can of Automotive touch up paint and two handles. I will post when I do it.

#32 ·
Ugh... Dealing with this right now. Just got a new to me 05 outback and the driver's side door won't open from the outside.

Everything I have read looks different from mine. I still have the metal rods inside which connect to the plastic clip, I have not had time to pull out the handle and check because, well it's 35 degrees up here in VT right now.

I found this replacement on RockAuto, may order that if I cannot repair the broken handle that I have. If anyone needs any other help, this vid seems to be pretty thorough.

Here is the Dorman replacement, as you can see the inner portion has the little clip for the metal rods, opposed to the cable... the inner handle uses the cables. ugh...
More Information for DORMAN 82681

#33 ·
This works slick to disengage the child lock. Buy a small roll of light gage rmetal strapping and cut off a few inches off and bend one end back. Simply pry a gap in the trim and push the strap through. Repeat until you catch and push the child lock to the disengaged position. I go it on my 4th try over 5 minutes.

#35 ·
A few weeks ago, my rear door got stuck due to a broken door handle. In addition, I was unable to open the door due to a child safety lock, so I went online and found this old thread. I"m new to the board but I had to sign on to thank you "@plain OM" so much for your idea. I was able to use the thing strip of plastic to push out the child safety lock and opened the door from the inside to replace my door handle. You have saved me tons of headache and money. If you are in SD, i would definitely buy you a few beers. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.