WTB: 2000-04 Compass/Dimmer Rear Mirror - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WTB: 2000-04 Compass/Dimmer Rear Mirror

Recently bought a 2001 Outback with a bad rear mirror. Half is stuck dimmed, the other half is not dimmed... or someting like that. The compass also claims I am always going north.

Does anyone have an extra laying around? I am trying to replace it with the correct mirror.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Car: I has car.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It's very difficult to find a non-fogged 01/02 mirror, they seem to be a perishable item. You can have the glass/LCD replaced in yours for about $120+- if you're a stickler. The absolutely correct mirror for that will need to be from an 01-02 (don't think it was an option in 00 but I could be wrong). Later models will be wedge mount, yours is cam mount.

That's easily overcome by buying a cam-to-wedge mount adapter, costs about $15 from your local dealer.

Get that and your range of mirrors opens up substantially. Only other compatibility issue stems from the connector type. Early (up through about 05 or so but don't quote me on that) ones use a long flat connector, later models use a square connector. If you get a mirror with a square connector, you can buy a pigtail (again, from eBay) and splice it into yours easy enough. Costs another $10-20 for the pigtail.

That also lets you upgrade to a mirror with Homelink.

Doesn't have to be from a Subaru, especially if you get the wedge-mount adapter.

I just buy 'em on eBay when I need one. . usually pay around $50-100 for one.

www.lockmedic.com
ben@lockmedic.com

I seem to get a lot of "will xx fit in my car?" emails. . . I'm not the authority on everything Subaru, so I very well may tell you the wrong answer as there's nobody else to check me. Please search or ask via the forums first. . .when I answer you via email, it never gets posted and nobody else can confirm or refute my answer.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockmedic View Post
It's very difficult to find a non-fogged 01/02 mirror, they seem to be a perishable item. You can have the glass/LCD replaced in yours for about $120+- if you're a stickler. The absolutely correct mirror for that will need to be from an 01-02 (don't think it was an option in 00 but I could be wrong). Later models will be wedge mount, yours is cam mount.

That's easily overcome by buying a cam-to-wedge mount adapter, costs about $15 from your local dealer.

Get that and your range of mirrors opens up substantially. Only other compatibility issue stems from the connector type. Early (up through about 05 or so but don't quote me on that) ones use a long flat connector, later models use a square connector. If you get a mirror with a square connector, you can buy a pigtail (again, from eBay) and splice it into yours easy enough. Costs another $10-20 for the pigtail.

That also lets you upgrade to a mirror with Homelink.

Doesn't have to be from a Subaru, especially if you get the wedge-mount adapter.

I just buy 'em on eBay when I need one. . usually pay around $50-100 for one.
Thank you for all the information! I guess that explains why they are tough to find on ebay. Not that it is complicated, but I never thought a mirror replacement would be so involved...

Now it is time to build me a new mirror.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Car: I has car.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Found the thread where I posted my recipe:

2001 OB compass mirror still available?

Has part no's for the cam-to-wedge mount adapter, links to a $50 Homelink mirror I bought, and the correct pigtail harness for the late model mirror.

www.lockmedic.com
ben@lockmedic.com

I seem to get a lot of "will xx fit in my car?" emails. . . I'm not the authority on everything Subaru, so I very well may tell you the wrong answer as there's nobody else to check me. Please search or ask via the forums first. . .when I answer you via email, it never gets posted and nobody else can confirm or refute my answer.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 06:07 PM

Car: 2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sorry to hijack a bit, but is there a good option for a manually dimmed mirror with a compass?

My car warms the rear window, mirrors, wipers, my butt, and my heart - because I WILL get there!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:16 PM

Car: 2005 Atlantic Blue Outback XT Limited 5MT
I have an auto dimming mirror w/ compass. I picked it up at a pick a part, and realized that it wouldn't work for my Outback. I have pictures. PM me if you are interested.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: