Subaru Outback Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2002 Outback LL Bean regatta red $4200

4K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  lockmedic 
#1 ·
I don't normally have any trouble selling the cars I build. . .folks usually call 'dibs' before they're even finished.

This one sorta slipped through the cracks. Guy was allegedly interested then backed out (probably because it took me 2 months to build it as, well, we kinda had a baby and things like hospital trips take precedence over playing in the garage). No sweat, it'll sell quick. Listing it here for a week or so before it hits CL as @eagleeye fussed at me for not doing that last time (lol).

2002 H6 LL Bean, top of the line aside from VDC cars this year. 178k miles. Slushbox trans. Leather. sunroofs. butt warmers. . . you get the gist.

FULL DISCLOSURE: Rebuilt title.

I bought it with light damage to the left front. Replaced the fender, bumper cover, and headlights, and repaired the hood. Fender is OEM, pulled from another car (same color but reshot it anyway as paint had faded). Paint was blended across hood and into driver's door. Also replaced driver's mirror as the glass was cracked, so had the replacement painted at the same time.

Pics from the auction showing the condition it was in when I bought it:

Did the usual "package" to this one as far as maintenance goes:

-replaced valve cover gaskets
-replaced spark plugs (NGK iridium)
-resealed oil cooler
-replaced all 3 radiator hoses, tstat, and coolant (all OEM subaru), added cooling sys. conditioner for good luck, +1 healing capability.
-changed the oil.
-replaced the steering rack and u-joint, suction hose from reservoir to pump
-replaced both front ball joints

Has a nice set of Kuhmos all around, brakes are thick and no shake. DOJ boots appear to have been replaced recently. Radiator also appears to have been replaced, and the bottom radiator hose was one of the silly accordion "universal" ones. Looks like the PO was chasing a coolant leak. . . I found it at the t-stat gasket with a simple pressure test. It has been run at idle for >2 hours and driven around town and on the highway and shows no indication of headgasket issues (I'm always suspicious when an H6 has had cooling system work). Held pressure overnight and no smoke on startup.

Haven't fully detailed the interior. I usually take the carpet out and pressure wash it, but I have an infant son so i'm kind of getting lazy when it comes to cosmetics. Non smoker car and it's relatively clean so I just didn't worry about it.

Exterior has been washed/waxed. has a few dings/scratches elsewhere on the car, just the sort of thing you'd expect in a 14 year old chassis.

The bad:

S̶t̶e̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶s̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶a̶m̶o̶u̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶e̶x̶t̶r̶a̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶i̶s̶t̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶u̶r̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶a̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶a̶h̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶a̶p̶p̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶e̶l̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶u̶r̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶1̶0̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶2̶.̶ ̶O̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶e̶d̶s̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶u̶s̶p̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶n̶k̶y̶n̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶e̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶v̶a̶l̶v̶e̶.̶ ̶.̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶e̶n̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶e̶.̶ ̶I̶'̶l̶l̶ ̶g̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶a̶n̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶r̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶ ̶C̶a̶n̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶l̶a̶b̶o̶r̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶(̶i̶t̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶w̶o̶n̶'̶t̶)̶.̶ ̶

⇑ Fixed all that nonsense. Steering u-joint was dry. Replaced it.

Glove box piece is just starting to show some rot. I have good ones in color I'll include. . .and might even replace it if you help and/or change a diaper or three while we're doing it.

Other than that, it's a nice, clean, r̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶u̶t̶h̶e̶r̶n̶ car.

I swear I didn't do any HDR tinkering with the pics above. . . apparently my phone really likes red. It is very shiny and pretty but in person it's not the 'burn out your retinas' red like the phone pics below would suggest

EDIT: Replaced the steering rack AND u-joint. Pretty sure it was only the U joint but this having been the first time I've had to deal with this phenomenon my diag strategy was lacking. . so I just shotgunned it. Also replaced both ball joints as I managed to mess up both boots in the process. . . so it's got brand spankin' new OEM ball joints now. Also had the trans fluid and gear lube in both diffs changed.

moar pics. . . rust is isolated to just that one spot. Both rear fenders where the bumper meets are spotless as is the passenger side dogleg. I can repair it, I just don't really want to as I'm sort of covered up right now. I will furnish the piece in color if you want to take it with you.

First up, the bad:

Then the not so bad. . . here's the underside shot as I was working on the steering rack:

Nice freshly resealed valve covers (didn't clean the oil off the block, sorry)

Had the wire harness on the trans resealed (pic taken while draining the PS system):

oh and here's the other side dogleg:

and the rear subframe:

gratuitous underhood shot:

See less See more
#2 ·
"dibs" - PM sent . . . .

#3 ·
Lol :) PM replied

#4 ·
congrats to a fast sale, and no craigslist bull.

the sun is really hitting off that new paint and making it pop. ...in a good way.:smile2: (Edit: and if @traildogck gets into the Denver fix em up business out of his condo,...please hire some price is right style models / detailers)

like this:

and this:

#5 ·
Congrats on the kiddo.

Also, I'd take this in a heartbeat if my bank account was not made of sorrow, lamentations, and student loan repayment.

#6 ·
While trying to get some planning done - I'm looking at the pics (again and again), in the last interior picture - the one with the rear seat pictured - is that rust through I see at the bottom of the rocker/rear fender well area?

#8 ·
where are your friends at super suparubaru rupair in boulder, co. when you need them.? (Regatta Red,...2002-2004)

#10 ·
ugh. .

Ok gang, apologies.

That *is* rust on the driver's side dogleg. I usually pick up on stuff like that during the interior detail. Didn't notice any rear subframe issues, and as I had no problems separating the ball joints up front I assumed it was rust free.

Ran a carfax, it's lived in MD for the first 150k, then NC. I saved the carfax as a pdf but it's too big to post here, email me and I'll send it to anyone curious.

This is a sign I have too many cars.

I assure you I wasn't trying to misrepresent it, just an oversight.

Also I'm pretty confident the steering u-joint is the reason for the funny steering feel. Either way I'll fix it before it sells.

It's at the trans shop today getting new fluids in the trans and both diffs, as well as resealing the wire harness where it goes into the trans case (it was leaking there a bit). I'll try and grab some underside pics while it's over there, and I'll also take some better pics of the dogleg area. It's not perforated yet, but will be soon.

I do have a patch panel in color for the dogleg. I can weld it in and rattle can it if desired. Doubt the painter has any of that color left over.

In other news. . .traildogck I do have a RH fender in color but it's not worth shipping. Has light hail damage and paint is faded.

#11 ·
"Un-dibs"

This is a great deal on a nice car, but the logistics for my particular situation just aren't going the way I had hoped....good luck with your sale!

Dan

#12 ·
Thanks Dan, and lol @ un-dibs :)

#13 ·
Bump for 5% more new parts, and 50% more pics.

#14 ·
Sold

#16 ·
"Decent Condition Piece of Sh;t" is a very odd oxymoron to use.

but I guess you mean Decent Condition Passenger Side.

#17 ·
I have one in that color. . . think it's kinda rough though. . .clearcoat problems and has some dings in it. I'll take pics later.

#20 ·
Cool. If I run across one I'll let you know.

Have 2 perfect ones in obsidian black pearl. . . along with an 03 front bumper. Probably wind up using them eventually. Finally bought a car with black leather interior to finish out the conversion on my test mule.

Yes, I bought a whole car just for the seats. :)

#22 ·
Ironic thing is not a week after I bought this:

2003 SUBARU LEGACY OUT - Copart

This comes up on Craigslist:

2001 Subaru Outback parts car

Price for the 03 Copart car (which has engine probs and does not run but does have a minty set of Dunlop tires on it) was $750 to the door. . . but they no-sale'd it twice before finally accepting my high bid on the 3rd run. . . and I expect it's in waaay better shape and has more useable stuff on it than the 01. Still tempted to buy it if the county weren't up my butt. Black leather wagon interiors don't come up that often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.