for sale: 2001 Outback wagon 2.5 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2001 outback wagon, 2004 Mspeed Roadster, 2005 Suzuki SV650, 2007 Moto Guzzi Griso 1100
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default for sale: 2001 Outback wagon 2.5

Hey folks. I just found this site while I was looking for resources for an 05-06 outback XT I'm looking to buy. I have my 01 outback wagon for sale, so I figured I'll post it here just in case. Asking $7200, located in Greenville, NC. This is copied from my CL ad:

I am selling my wife's 2001 Subaru Legacy Outback all-wheel-drive wagon with only 101,307 miles. NADA values this car at $7350. We both love this car, and the only reason we're selling it, is to buy a newer one! On trips, we can get 28 miles per gallon with this car. This is my wife's daily driver, and our kayak-carrying, camping excursion vehicle. She drives this car daily, so the mileage is still climbing, but she doesn't work far from home, hence the low mileage. I am about to give you a very detailed description of the car and it's maintenance, so this will be lengthy, but if you stick with me, we may laugh together, we may cry together, we might even make s'mores over a campfire together while cows somewhere off in the distance howl at the moon.. one thing's for sure, you'll be very well informed about the condition of this vehicle!

First, I'm sure I'll probably forget something, but please email me and ask any questions you have, and feel free to set up a time to come check out the vehicle for yourself. I can also email you more pictures if you wish.

Oh, and if you are a scammer, don't waste your time.. I'm much smarter than you. I WILL track your IP address, and then I will own you, so don't bother.

I am a jeep and mazda automotive technician with a degree in automotive systems technology (currently working my way through a degree in geophysics). I maintain this vehicle at the dealership I work at, and you can be sure it gets all it's maintenance on or before the manufacturer recommended intervals. I change the oil every 3000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first (usually the 3 months happens first, other than when we drive it on a long road trip). I flush ALL the other fluids once a year (brake, transmission, power steering, coolant, differential, transfer case, etc), since I have access to the flush machines and I only have to buy the fluid.

This car is in great condition on the outside, with one very small dent on the left front quarter panel, just behind the headlight. Other than that, it has a few of the normal, tiny paint chip specks around the front that you get on all cars when they've been on the road this long. The paint is in very good condition, with minimal oxidation, and the clear coat is still smooth and shiny. The interior is in great condition in most places, not so great in a few places. There is an area of the lower dash on the passenger side that has cracks in the surface plastic. It looks like the plastic got brittle from sun exposure, but this is the only spot on the entire car with any sort of damage like this. The seats are all in terrific shape, with no tears or wear spots, and the driver power seat works flawlessly. The carpet however, does have stains in the front and back seat foot-wells. The carpet in the cargo area behind the rear seats, is in very rough shape, with bad wear spots and stains.. but hey, it's a subaru. The back side of the right rear seat has some sort of orange stain on it, and I have no idea what it's from. On a positive side, the stain is the color of pleasantly aged natural sharp cheddar.. so if you like cheese, and want to be reminded of the color of cheddar when you open up the cargo compartment, it could be a good thing. Seriously though, it's minor enough that I don't even see the stain anymore (or maybe it's because it's always covered by camping equipment.. hmm). I have not tried to remove it with soap and water yet, so maybe it will come out. NOTE: stain does not smell like cheddar. Actually it has no odor. Don't ask me how I know.

EVERYTHING on this car works flawlessly. All the electronics, all the lights, all the gauges, the radio/cd player, the engine, transmission, all-wheel-drive, the cruise control ALL work perfectly. There is nothing on this car that does not work as designed. Actually I can't say that for sure. I have never put a cassette in the cassette player, so I don't know if it works.. sorry. Last year, the left head gasket started to seep a little coolant to the exterior, so I brought it to work and fixed the issue. Also, in the spirit of transparency, the oil pan gasket has a slight seepage. It's so slight, the area around the gasket is only damp with oil, it does NOT drip oil. This isn't even an issue in my eyes, considering how badly most oil pan gaskets on most cars leak when they reach this age. This summer, my wife and I drove this car to Ohio and back, and then to Tennessee (whitewater, woo-wee!) and back without a single issue. I am completely confident in telling you that this car will drive wherever you want to go for years to come.

Also, if you've never ridden in one of these, I have to tell you, the leg room is amazing! Most cars have great leg room in the front, and this one is no different, but most cars have terribly insufficient leg room for the rear seats.. which is a pet peeve of mine.. I can't stand cars with insufficient leg room for the rear seats. This one has tons of room, even with the front seats all the way back.. like the 'load-up-the-car-with-4-adults-for-a-kayaking-trip-and-everyone-is-seriously-comfortable' kind of room!

101,307 miles on the car right now. (very low for a 2001)
Michelin tires with decent tread left. (probably another 12k-15k miles)
alloy wheels
2.5L boxer engine
Automatic transmission
driver and passenger airbags
4-wheel disk brakes with ABS
engine immobilizer/anti-theft with chip keys (I have two keys for the car)
Automatic headlights
cruise control
child safety locks on rear doors
A/C that is nice and cold
power locks, windows, mirrors and driver seat
front and rear floor mats
am/fm radio, cd player, cassette player
roof rack
fog lamps
*extra factory accessories*
It also comes with a fitted subaru dash cover to protect the dash from sunlight
AND a subaru cargo area privacy cover (color matched to the interior)

I'll post pics in just a minute...
looking to buy an 05-06 Outback XT

Last edited by The Mad Hatta!; 08-24-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: add location
The Mad Hatta! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2001 outback wagon, 2004 Mspeed Roadster, 2005 Suzuki SV650, 2007 Moto Guzzi Griso 1100
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Pictures:

looking to buy an 05-06 Outback XT
The Mad Hatta! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: