Top Gear, Car Of The Year - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-29-2008, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 1997 Subaru Outback, 2.5L, Alpine system, Forsgate 12'' Subs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile Top Gear, Car Of The Year

I was watching the new episode of top gear last night and they where all trying to decide what the car of the year was. There end result was a tie between the OB and an ford mondeo.
csweston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
~gotta have more cowbell!

Car: 08 OBXT Ltd w/ Nav - Silver
Send a message via ICQ to sdvictor Send a message via AIM to sdvictor Send a message via Yahoo to sdvictor

http://www.topgear.com/content/featu...7/08/01/3.html

Quote:

Yet, I look through the lists at the back of this magazine and I can find something wrong with every single model in there. And when you think we've had the car for nearly 120 years, I find that a bit depressing.

But then I arrived at 'S', and sitting there was the Subaru Legacy Outback. I stopped for a moment and thought: "Hmmm..."

What is a Subaru? To those in bobble hats, it is a machine that comes out of the night and spits stones into your face. To those with baseball caps, it is a fire-breathing incarnation from the pixellated world of the PlayStation, a device whose pops and bangs enliven the local supermarket car park on a Saturday night.

But then to those in hats made from tweed, it is a car for the farm, something you used to buy, until recently, from the same place you bought your seeds and plough.

To those of an Impreza disposition, its four-wheel-drive system means better donuts. To those on the farm, it means you can reach a stranded sheep when it's two in the morning and snowing.

In town, we find the same thing. The eco-hobbits don't realise it's a four-wheel-drive SUV. It's just a rather fine-looking estate car which costs less than half what you're expected to pay for a similarly commodious Porsche Cayenne.

'To those in bobble hats, a Subaru is a machine that comes out of the night and spits stones into your face'

And to everyone, a Subaru stands as a shining beacon of hope that one day, all cars will be made this way. When you slam the door, it makes exactly the same sound as a recently shot pheasant hitting the ground, and that, as everyone knows, is one of the most satisfying noises in the world.

Plainly, this attention to detail goes further than the door though, because in every survey on reliability, Subaru always comes in the top five.

But it's not a convertible, I hear you cry. That's true, but the last version I drove had such a massive sunshine roof, it may as well have been.

The Legacy Outback, then, covers more of the bases for more of the time than anything else. And that's the hardest trick of all. It's a big, small, fast, economical, well-made, cheap, fine-handling, comfortable SUV that's not an SUV.

Is it therefore the best car in the world? Well yes, obviously, except for one thing: if I had 30,000 to spend on a set of wheels, I'd have an Alfa Brera.
sdvictor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 02 2.5 auto Outback Wagon "Limited"

I'd go with the Alfa, too. Sorry, but screw utility, I want rolling sex.

5 and a half times around the earth and counting....
WayBack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 03:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: Blue Outback Diesel

here is a recent review of the diesel OB, clarkson doesn't like it.
but then again according to him it's the fuel of satan !!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle3638139.ece
igrf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 06:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback 2.5i

Quote:
Originally posted by igrf
here is a recent review of the diesel OB, clarkson doesn't like it.
but then again according to him it's the fuel of satan !!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle3638139.ece
I like the look, specifically, the grille. On the US '08, '09 models, the grilles are just too big and a "in your face" style.
Marbleyard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
SubaruOutback.org Founder

Car: 2010 Outback Unfixable Shaker Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Marbleyard
On the US '08, '09 models, the grilles are just too big and a "in your face" style.
In Your Face = American Automotive Styling
Ignatius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: