Subaru Outback Forums banner

Cost of salting wintry roads

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  johnre 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I believe it.....looked at numerous Outbacks in the 2010-14 range... a few from the Ohio region with roughly 50-90k miles. Most Interiors were immaculate and paint was good, but undercarriage and engine bay looked like a rust bucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
That was my first thought after reading that number. It is sort of meaningless without knowing how much the flip side of the coin costs.

You also need to factor in the cost of the salt and the manpower to apply it.

I personally think local governments go overboard trying to clear all the roads curb to curb 2 minutes after it stops snowing.

When I started driving almost 50 years ago it was not uncommon in the winter to drive around for several days on snow packed roads. These days people go ape crap with no idea how to drive if they cannot see the pavement.

#10 ·
safety third

It may be that, if the roads were left in poor condition, fewer people would venture out and there would be similar reduction in crashes. Perhaps people who should stay home, are encouraged to drive when the news is showing fleets of trucks out treating the roads.

there's always a trade off.

#11 ·
That's because no one wants to be identified as that non-essential government employee told to stay home. Never know when there will be a Presidential executive order telling non-essential government employees they are, well, non-essential. >:)

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan
#13 ·
Portland, OR used salt for the first time this winter, and it's now part of their long term plans to use it selectively. It's not without controversy, considering the state doesn't use it on the mountain passes, where it's just presumed you're capable and will follow the A/B/C chain-up rules that are imposed per the conditions.

I avoided all of it this time around - as I was out of town and didn't return until there had been considerable rainfall to wash it off. But I might not be able to avoid it in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.