Subaru Outback Forums banner

The True Story on Subaru Safety "through a firefighter view"

6K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  buggymuffin 
#1 ·
Firedawgs posted this article on Legacygt from the December 2005 Firehouse Magazine. A very interesting read. I like the safety features, but I may have to forward this to my local fire dept...there's a heck of a lot of subies around here. I wonder if they've run into this before.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great article. As a Firefighter/Medic and subie owner (with family) it's nice to see this kind of info about Subaru.

I still have to make up for the lack of fuel economy to my wife though. :rolleyes:

#12 ·
Actually the Outback is getting lighter depending on model and options.

2006 model year.
2.5i w/manual - 3,320 lbs.
2.5i w/Auto - 3,365 lbs.
2.5i Limited w/manual - 3,375 lbs.
2.5i Limited w/Auto - 3,370
2.5i Limited w/Nav & Auto - 3,420 lbs.
2.5i XT w/manual - 3,500 lbs.
2.5i XT w/Auto - 3,565 lbs.
3.0R/L.L. Bean w/Auto - 3,520 lbs.

2004 Outback - 3,610 lbs.

I couldn't find listings for the various models, perhaps other owners could ring in with their vehicles rated weights.

#13 ·
Woodstock20723 said:
Actually the Outback is getting lighter depending on model and options.

2006 model year.
2.5i w/manual - 3,320 lbs.
2.5i w/Auto - 3,365 lbs.
2.5i Limited w/manual - 3,375 lbs.
2.5i Limited w/Auto - 3,370
2.5i Limited w/Nav & Auto - 3,420 lbs.
2.5i XT w/manual - 3,500 lbs.
2.5i XT w/Auto - 3,565 lbs.
3.0R/L.L. Bean w/Auto - 3,520 lbs.

2004 Outback - 3,610 lbs.

I couldn't find listings for the various models, perhaps other owners could ring in with their vehicles rated weights.
That's because with the 05+ model, they went with aluminium hoods (and trunk lids on sedans) and thinner windshields.

Surprisingly, the smaller Audi A4 Avant Quatro V6 comes in at a porky 3850 lbs, heavier then my Highlander V6 was. That must be one rigid body.

#14 ·
FastSly said:

That's because with the 05+ model, they went with aluminium hoods (and trunk lids on sedans) and thinner windshields.

Surprisingly, the smaller Audi A4 Avant Quatro V6 comes in at a porky 3850 lbs, heavier then my Highlander V6 was. That must be one rigid body.
Among other things as well but that was a big factor. The weight difference in my '99 hood and my '05 hood is amazing. Every pound saved in an area like the hood or a door panel can be applied where it counts, like those wonderful B pillars we now have. I wondered for a while how the Legacy/Outback got such good crash ratings. I don't wonder anymore.

A lot of the weight in the A4 is in that V6 block. Even if it is aluminum that's still a big chunk of metal. There's probably also quite a bit more sound deadening material in the A4 than the 2.5i Outback.
I wonder what other exotic materials are going to find their way into consumer grade vehicles in the future. Titanium frames? Maybe Magnesium? Carbon Fiber hoods and body panels?
Aint' technology grand?

#15 ·
Woodstock20723 said:

Among other things as well but that was a big factor. The weight difference in my '99 hood and my '05 hood is amazing. Every pound saved in an area like the hood or a door panel can be applied where it counts, like those wonderful B pillars we now have. I wondered for a while how the Legacy/Outback got such good crash ratings. I don't wonder anymore.

A lot of the weight in the A4 is in that V6 block. Even if it is aluminum that's still a big chunk of metal. There's probably also quite a bit more sound deadening material in the A4 than the 2.5i Outback.
I wonder what other exotic materials are going to find their way into consumer grade vehicles in the future. Titanium frames? Maybe Magnesium? Carbon Fiber hoods and body panels?
Aint' technology grand?
Still, the A4 2.0T is over 3600lbs.

My Highlander had a big V6 3.0L too, and it was only 3800 lbs.

My old Volvo 850 which was built like a tank was only 3200 lbs. That was FWD though, but still.

#18 ·
Woodstock20723 said:
Just read a Road & Track article on the BMW M5 & M6. The M5 is 4035 lbs and the M6 is 3770. The M6 has a carbon fiber roof (first in series production) and carbon fiber bumber supports. All for a paltry $97,200 American dollars.
Now where's my checkbook?
And they're both ugly. Although not Tribeca ugly! LOL!

But man, what a sweet V10....

#23 ·
I think the M6 is stunning :)

I've been showing this scanned article to every car guy I know. We all bought our Subies knowing they are safer than the average car, but to actually see an analysis of a "hidden" safety feature like this is all the more satisfying!

"my car is so safe it requires a special procedure to be cut open after a wreck" lol

#24 ·
MrEd said:
"my car is so safe it requires a special procedure to be cut open after a wreck" lol
"My car is so safe the emergency crew didn't know the special procedure to cut it open, couldn't get it open fast enough and I had to spend an extra week in the ICU (or worse)."

It's a double-edged sword.

#25 ·
dakboy said:
"My car is so safe the emergency crew didn't know the special procedure to cut it open, couldn't get it open fast enough and I had to spend an extra week in the ICU (or worse)."

It's a double-edged sword.
Yeah, but in another car you may not have survived at all. I think I am willing to take my chances having to wait a little longer to get rescued. This article makes me feel a lot safer traveling with my kids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.