Kenwood DNX5120 Double-Din install - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Party Crasher

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Kenwood DNX5120 Double-Din install

The new availability of the Scosche double-din kit part number SU2025B was referenced in the following thread: Any Interest? Double Din Install (Center Console)

http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1600

The dash kit works great, fits great, and looks great - a near perfect match to the finish on the factory pieces.

This is how the kit looks installed with a Kenwood DNX-5120 - sorry for the funky lighting in my garage, I'll try to take a better pic in the daytime.

In case anyone is interested, the shift knob is a MOMO Tomahawk.
ShadyJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 2006 Outback 2.5i

Hey ShadyJC-

Looks Great! This is exactly what I want to do to my '06.

Couple of questions:

1) When I go to the Scosche website (using the link in your previous post) - it does not allow me to specify Double DIN w/o pocket. How does this work? Is it a kit that can be either for a single DIN or double DIN?

2) Does the kit include all the necessary mounting hardware, brackets, etc.? How about wiring harness(es)?

3) I am a bit nervous and a bit of a novice when it comes to disassembling my dash and installing electronics - how easy would say the install was? How long did it take?

Again, I think your setup looks awesome - hope I can get mine to turn out as nicely as yours.

Thanks for your help and advice!
OutBike
Outbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Paladin

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5i

....you do not get to pick between single or double din....they send you the double din piece and a pocket to put in if you only want a single din (they give you 2 screws for the pocket)....kinda like the double din is the default.....you add the pocket if you want to change the default.....they do not give you anything else.....IT IS EASY TO DO THIS!!.....back when I pulled my radio originally, I disassembled everything....but had to have my husband help me because I could not get all the plugs unplugged from the back of the radio....I'm a weakling and I really don't have any knowledge on how some plugs go in and out....they kinda have certain places you need to press to release them....my husband pulled them right out!!....and I reassembled everything....I have been back behind my radio several times.....all by myself now ....I added a sattelite radio so I had to get back behind there.....then I decided to add a different antenna so I had to get behind there again!!.....I'm getting really fast at it!!...here's a pic on what comes in the kit

nurse-gadget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Party Crasher

Quote:
Originally posted by Outbike
1) When I go to the Scosche website (using the link in your previous post) - it does not allow me to specify Double DIN w/o pocket. How does this work? Is it a kit that can be either for a single DIN or double DIN?
Like nurse-gadget says above, it's a double-din by default, and you can make it a single-din by installing the pocket.

Quote:
2) Does the kit include all the necessary mounting hardware, brackets, etc.? How about wiring harness(es)?
Mounting hardware and brackets yes. Wiring harnesses, no. You will need a wiring harness (Scosche SU03B or Metra 70-8901) and you will need an antenna adapter (Metra 40-SB10 or American International SU-6). I used the Scosche wiring harness and the AI antenna adapter. I actually have an extra Metra harness if you want to buy that off of me.

For the Kenwood headunit I used, I also purchased Kenwood's iPod connection cable KCA-iP300V. There are other cables you need to buy if you want to install the Bluetooth module or satellite radio or whatever other options your radio may offer.

I left a set of Audio/Video cables loose in the center console so if I ever decided to do an overhead monitor or headrest monitors I wouldn't have to get back behind the radio, and I also did a parking-brake bypass so I would be able to have the DVD video playing while the vehicle was in motion.

Quote:
3) I am a bit nervous and a bit of a novice when it comes to disassembling my dash and installing electronics - how easy would say the install was? How long did it take?
I wouldn't rate this install as too difficult at all, it's actually very straightforward. The Subaru came apart much easier than most of the other cars I've worked on, and once the factory radio is out there is actually a lot of room to work with. That's not to say there are not some challenging aspects to putting it all together, but there is no secret trick - the wiring plugs only go in and out of one place so you just have to take your time, be patient and not rush.

I'd tell you that for me, the separation of the A/C controls from the factory bezel, running the GPS antenna to the top of the dash and routing the iPod cable into the glovebox were the things that caused me to waste the most time.

All together it took me ~3 hours from beginning to end, including wiring the Kenwood and Scosche harnesses together.

Oh, one more thing - if you decide to have it done by a shop I would recommend sourcing the dash kit and the necessary wiring harnesses on your own - originally I thought I wouldn't have time to do the install myself, and 4 audio shops I stopped by did not have the Subaru dash kit or harness in stock - so you can save yourself some money if you purchase it elsewhere and just provide it to your installer.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fast Food Wagon

Car: 2007 Outback
Send a message via Yahoo to jim8181

Looks great! Nice clean install.

I couldn't but admire that huge shiny... shifting device.

MY07 OB 2.5i
jim8181 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
roy
Recruit

Car: 2005 Outback XT

The stereo looks terrific. I have an 05 XT with the automatic climate control which has a different interface and therefore different holes in the dash. Anyone know if there is a version of this that supports the automatic climate control? Crutchfield and Scosche don't appear to support it.
roy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Recruit

Default Dash Kit

I am thinking of doing the same thing actually with the same HU, but I have a couple of questions...

Does the Scosche dash kit come painted to match the 08 interior. The Scosche web site shows a black kit?

Did you order directly from Scosche or someone else, who do you recommend?
wags is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Party Crasher

Default Re: Dash Kit

Quote:
Originally posted by roy
The stereo looks terrific. I have an 05 XT with the automatic climate control which has a different interface and therefore different holes in the dash. Anyone know if there is a version of this that supports the automatic climate control? Crutchfield and Scosche don't appear to support it.
Roy, sorry nobody replied to this post - as I understand, those of you with automatic climate control cannot replace your HU because the controls are integrated with the factory radio. I believe I've seen some add an aftermarket HU where the storage cubby is on top and bypass the factory radio.

Quote:
Originally posted by wags
Does the Scosche dash kit come painted to match the 08 interior. The Scosche web site shows a black kit?

Did you order directly from Scosche or someone else, who do you recommend?
wags, mine is a 2006, and the kit finish is that silvery color, not black. I purchased mine off of eBay. There is one there now for $39.95 BIN, if I recall it's the same seller I bought mine from.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scosche-SU2025B-...3286.m20.l1116

I'm still very happy with the Kenwood headunit - hitting some of the iPod controls on the touchscreen while driving is a little challenging, but the Garmin navigation functions are fantastic and all in all I think I got a great deal.... I have been strongly considering adding the Bluetooth option on it.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Recruit

Thanks for help, I found it on ebay and will be ordering it...

So, no issues with the HU, are you able to play DVD's while moving on the HU display, what about make route changes while moving?

Thanks again for your help!
wags is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Party Crasher

Quote:
Originally posted by wags
So, no issues with the HU, are you able to play DVD's while moving on the HU display, what about make route changes while moving?
Yes, you just have to ground the brake wire in order to play DVDs while moving, and the Nav functions are fully functional while moving out of the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: