aux input for '06 outback - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Recruit

Car: 2006 outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
aux input for '06 outback

looking to get a fixed aux input jack for our '06 outback.

right now we're using an FM transmitter which is just a pain in the neck.. thought we'd have to buy a whole new stereo but through some research (mostly here!) found this:

Scosche FM-MOD01 Modulator
(http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...121&tab=review)

wanted to know if anyone had any experience with it - the guy at crutchfield said that in addition to the actual modulator, i'd need to get "antenna adapters" for another $30 bringing it up to like $60 because the '06 outback's antenna doesnt fit what the scosche is looking for..

sound right? i might go ahead and do it or just deal with our crappy FM transmitter..

hm...

thanks..~ari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 09:28 AM
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy
Hm..I haven't tried that particular one but years ago i used an fm modulator and while it worked yes it was a pain. It isn't really the optimal solution sound quality wise anyway..... You do not have an aux input? Have you checked out the jazzy engineering offerings? Not sure if they might have something available.... http://www.jazzyengineering.com/
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 09:30 AM

Guessing yours would probably be this one http://www.jazzyengineering.com/prod...products_id=44
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Recruit

hmm... if for $75 i can get a jury rigged adapter which required the playing of a blank CD (and therefore a skip when the CD repeats itself) and which, as one person has commented, is a touch quiet, i might as well spend $80 and get a replacement stereo which just plain works good..

im going to look into cruchfield's catalogue..

dont like wasting the factory stereo (what am i going to do with it? can you recycle stereos?) but i think its the best bet.

thanks for your help porcupine73..
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 09:43 AM

>>what am i going to do with it? can you recycle stereos? Put it up for sale in the classifieds section. Die hard soob fans will want the OEM unit.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Recruit

thanks for the tip - turns out its impossible to switch out the radio in an 06 outback with automatic climate control. the climate control system and the radio are one unit.

seems stunningly stupid to me, not to give customers the option but maybe there's something im missing. would have been nice if the salesman mentioned that you can only upgrade the stereo with the manual climate control.

in any event, at least there's jazzy engineering.. so double thanks..
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 01:39 PM

Ah sorry to hear about the integrated thing. I don't like that either. It seems many auto makers have gone that route though.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 12:50 AM

Car: 2005 Outback Ltd 2.5i
Thumbs up

Hey there! I had the same problem and finally ordered the aux input kit from Jazzy and it worked great. I'm not super technical, but managed to disassemble the console as per their instructions, remove the radio and install the ribbon which adds an aux input through the disk changer port.

I fed an extension cable through to the armrest where the power outlet is located. Since this was mainly for my Ipod, i got the Belkin Ipod charger which has a mini side input and since they're in the same spot, I now have an Ipod cable wich charges and plays my ipod to the sterio.

since it's separate, I can also bring the mini extension cable out and plug it into my portable DVD and play my kids cartoons through the car stereo.

It all takes a bit of work, but WAY worth it to get the aux input capability from the stock radio.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Recruit

thanks a bunch for the reply merwiz! i actually just today ordered the jazzy kit (as well as the ground loop interrupt for any noise problems) so its great to hear that it's been working..

by the belkin kit, did you mean this?

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...uct_Id=149006#

hmm.. i wasnt thinking of getting that but because i might get it as i read about some volume problems (that the headphone out isnt as loud as a line out so a pre-amp is needed). at the very least i'll keep it in mind in case there is indeed a volume problem - other preamps are more expensive and can act as chargers. we already have a charger (iGo) but the main goal is to get ipod working elegantly and i think that belkin jobby'll do the trick.

thanks again!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 01:19 AM

Car: 2005 Outback Ltd 2.5i
Yup, that's totally the Belkin charger I got and it works fine. The volume control on the side helps and I've been happy and using it for the past year. It's not as loud as a CD, but it's plenty good for me and the fact that it also charges the Ipod is awesome.

Just follow the instructions you get with the kit slowly and it should all work out fine. There's a moment when you have your console all taken apart and your radio in a few sections where you ask yourself "What the **** have I gotten myself into?" but if you keep all your screws sorted and just put it all back together the way it came apart, it should all work fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: