MP3 Players - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question MP3 Players

So it is time for me to purchase a new portable MP3 player and I need help choosing one and I am looking to fellow Subbie owners for their opinion on what to get. The 3 features it must have are as follows:

1) No Apple products!

2) When playing a track and the player is paused/stopped/shutdown it starts the track where it left off from

and

3) If using an external power source i.e. the AUX Power socket, the item will pause/stop/shutdown when power is removed.

For example, I have Player X inside my center armrest powered by the AuxPwr Socket and playing track Y through the radio via the Aux Audio Input jack. I turn off the car the player automatically stops playing track Y and then when I turn the car back on the player starts playing track Y where it left off from. Basically I do not to fiddle with the player once I place it in my center armrest.

Can my fellow Subbie lovers give me any leads?

Thanks
drphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
optimistic pessimist

Car: 97 2.5 mt outback 98 forester s

You lost me at no apples.
cleansubaru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 01 Outback LL Bean - SOLD

You mean there's MP3 players out there besides iPods?
TM875 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Flying Cavalry

Car: 08 Outback 2.5i

I'm using the Sony Walkman.

1. Not Apple

2. It has a pause button that will pause and start where you stopped. Also, you have to press pause before you Power Off and when you start back up it will play from the point you powered down.

3. I have no idea about external power. It has a battery charge of 40+ hours so once every week or 2 I plug it in to charge it up.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cool

jereg,

Thanks for the reply the stopping and resuming of the Sony is what I am looking for but I do not want to press any buttons to get it to pause. I want the thing to stop/pause on its own when it senses no power is being applied to it.

I know that there are players out there that do this because I own one right now. It is an Archos FM Recorder from about 6 years ago with Rockbox (rockbox.org) firmware installed.

I was hoping to find a new player that will do this with the factory installed firmware.

Thanks,

PS for those of you who are in love with Apple I just do not like Apple dictating that "I WILL USE ITUNES" for your music management. I prefer the freedom of drag and drop or whatever music management I chose to use.
drphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Silver OB 2.5i MT

I did a ton of research last year and ended up having the Creative Zen come out in front for my needs...I didn't end up buying one as I went w/in-dash stereo, but that's one I would recommend checking out.
snowon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2005 OBW
Default Re: MP3 Players

Quote:
Originally posted by drphillips
So it is time for me to purchase a new portable MP3 player and I need help choosing one and I am looking to fellow Subbie owners for their opinion on what to get. The 3 features it must have are as follows:

1) No Apple products!

The iPods aren't MP3 players, so you're safe there.
tenpenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2009, 12:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT

i have a sony too, bought a sony head unit for my car with the usb port in the face.

i leave the walkman plugged in and it stops when the power ign is turned off and starts from the the same spot when you start it. it also charges the walkman through the usb cable when it's hooked up so ... charge and play while your on your way, pull it out and plug in the headphones when you get there and you have a fully charged player.

no more cd's is the best thing about the whole thing.
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2009, 04:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2005, Subaru Outback, Flat 4, 2.5lt

I would highly recommend creative Zens as well. I spent about 3 months looking into MP3 players and Creative won hands down. Just got my brother a creative zen x-fi and my sister a creative zen mozaic.

Good thing about creative is that you don't have to pay over the top ridiculous prices for their accessories like some other brands...*cough...apple...cough* hehe

Yea i aint an apple fan either...i actually have a toshiba gigabeat personally, i like it since it syncs directly with windows media player. But if i was to get another MP3 player again, i would go for creative since their new range is awesome.

Not to sure about the pause feature when you turn the car on and off though, my recommendation is to send an email to creative and ask them directly.

Good luck
blondy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2009, 05:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
ETC

Car: 00 OB 07 OBXT

i think everything but the ipod's sync with windows. my sony mentioned something about some software i could put on my computer but, i plugged it in and it just worked, drag and drop and that's about it.

not sure how it works with the aux jack, never used it. i can check it out if you're interested.
ETC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: