2010 OB Equalizer Settings? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2010 OB Equalizer Settings?

Been trying for path few days to understand and setup the Navi equalizer? It has 4 bands with different channels and settings. If anyone has theirs setup well can they post what there settings are.
User311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with Navigation, Satin White Pearl

Me too, I have study the book and ask questions. I still do not understand the gest of it. Mine has too much base and would love to turn it down so I can hear the words.

I ask Subaru what this meant “The larger the value of Q Factor (degree of acumination) is, the more the gain of the center frequency is enhance.” (P.G. 197, 2010 Legacy/outback Navigation System, book.) This is the information I got back from Subaru.

from the Product Management Department:

'Gain' simply refers to voltage output of that particular frequency range. If you raise the gain, that frequency will have greater emphasis in the sound output. (i.e. if you raise highest frequency gain, you'll hear more treble) Vice-versa if you lower it. This helps you tune the music more precisely than if you had traditional 3-way bass, treble, and mid-range controls - which are common on our base & mid-line audio units.

I hope this help you,
Sir Sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2010 OB 3.6R Ltd w/ nav

bumping this thread.

I'm also interested if anybody out there has setup theirs with a decent configuration. Please post so I can just copy!
aknitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback 2.5 CVT Limited/Nav

Here is what I've set my 3 presets to after poking around a bit and playing with some recommendations on other boards

Surround: Bypass (default)

easy listening:
Band 1: 120 Hz, 1, 2 dB
Band 2: 500 Hz, 2, 0 dB
Band 3: 2.5k Hz, 1, 1 dB
Band 4: 10k Hz, 0.5, 2 dB

pop/rock (tend to run with this)
Band 1: 120 Hz, 0.5, 7 dB
Band 2: 500 Hz, 2, -1 dB
Band 3: 2.5k Hz, 1, 0 dB
Band 4: 10k Hz, 0.5, 2 dB

dance/rock (extra thump)
Band 1: 120 Hz, 0.25, 9 dB
Band 2: 500 Hz, 2, -1 dB
Band 3: 2.5k Hz, 1, 0 dB
Band 4: 10k Hz, 1, 2 dB
pghgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 02:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback Limited 3.6R, Satin Pearl White, 19mm STI rear sway bar, steering shake fix

One of the issues is that this is a "Parametric" Equalizer instead of the "Graphic" equalizers most of us are probably familiar with. That "Q" setting is pretty counterintuitive. The four Bands may interfere with each other, depending on what Q setting is used. Choosing a good correction requires solving several equations with several unknowns.

Another issue is that most of us don't know what frequencies relate to what sounds, so some objective measurement would help.

Yet another issue is that different sources have different problems and need different equalization. FM radio loses frequencies that iPod's, CDs, XM Radio (digital sources) don't.

So I dug out my old pink noise generator / frequency analyzer / graphic equalizer and took some measurements in the driver's seat. I flattened the frequency curve with the external Graphic Equalizer first, then translated the settings to the internal Parametric Equalizer, then tweaked it more after a road test. I have written a long article about my experiment on my blog at http://rogersmusicblog.blogspot.com/...0-subaru.html.

[I don't know what this forum does to URLs, but they don't always work. Please visit http://rogersmusicblog.blogspot.com and find the article "Equalizer settings for the 2010 Subaru Outback.]

Bottom line: here's what I'm using for now:

FM radio:
Band 1: Freq=80, Q=.25, Gain= -9
Band 2: Freq=500, Q=2, Gain= 3
Band 3: Freq=4k, Q=2, Gain= -3
Band 4: Freq=125, Q=2, Gain= 7

Digital sources (iPod, CD, XM Satellite Radio:
Band 4: Freq=16k, Q=.25, Gain= -3
rsworden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with Navigation, Satin White Pearl

rsworden

THANKS!

That is a very good link you posted above from Roger Music Blog on the Equalizer setting for the 2010 Subaru Outback. I printed it out can wait to try it out. I also printed out your setting too.

I'm more of a seeing person than a reading person, why Subaru did not go with Graphic EQ instead of a Parametric EQ is beyond me.

Wonder if this is something that can be change with a software update or is this on a chip in the system.

Thanks again for your post and the link.
Sir Sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback Limited 3.6R, Satin Pearl White, 19mm STI rear sway bar, steering shake fix
Default Shared EQ settings

After some more experimentation, it appears that the digital sources (CD, iPod/USB, and Satellite Radio) share one set of EQ settings. The user presets as well as the temporary settings all carry over between these three sources.

The FM radio has its own EQ settings - changes here do not affect the digital sources.

I have not tried setting EQ for the AM radio, but I suspect it will be separate as well.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Refining my EQ settings

I've refined my settings, especially for digital sources, after listening on the road for a few hours. The bass was weak and the high end was harsh. Here's my new set:

FM radio:
Band 3: Freq=4k, Q=2, Gain= -2
Band 4: Freq=125, Q=2, Gain= 7

Digital sources (iPod, CD, XM Satellite Radio:
Band 1: Freq=80, Q=.25, Gain= -5
Band 4: Freq=16k, Q=.25, Gain= -3

Sounds really good now!
Old 11-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've just picked up a 2011 2.5i Ltd (no nav) and the only audio settings I have are the basic bass, mid, treble, fade and balance. How do you get to the more detailed settings?

Also should there be any literature for the Harmon Kardon system?

EDIT - Just noticed on another thread that the EQ is only on the nav unit, H&K with no nav only gets the more basic settings...
chiefsilverback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 01:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

I could be wrong, but I believe the Q setting is how wide the band impacted by the gain setting is (trying to remember my music production days). So of the 3 settings for each band -- one chooses the center frequency, one chooses the width, and one chooses the gain (or cut).

Generally people can hear between 20 and 20K hz in frequencies, but older people tend to not be able to hear high frequencies as well and it is unlikely that the HK speakers can reproduce up to 20K.

Hope this helps...
MetroWestMA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: