Ham Radios & Outbacks - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I would recommend the FT-1500 over the IC-2000H if you wanted to put it into your Outback. A last ditch effort would be to put it in the door pocket even though you would not be able to see the display, you could run the speaker wire into the AUX input (be sure to use some ferrite beads). I'm sure you know that the most important thing with a 50W TX is adequate ventilation so the glove box and cubby are out of the question.

Unfortunately, the radio/CD compartment is perfectly sized for a double DIN volume, but the whole face is used up with the standard equipment. I wish they had made it a simple double DIN opening with a spacer, but that doesn't look as "slick". Some people here have replaced the face with a double DIN plate:

Any Interest? Double Din Install (Center Console)

Pioneer Double DIN Installed(Really Hig Res Images 56k beware)

But if added expenses are out, then you really can't do this.

I have a Kenwood TMV7A and it is currently sitting on the passenger seat. The remote head would fit nicely in the cubby, but I have my XM receiver in there right now.

Roy
AD6ZU
rsrocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2008, 11:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car: 09 Outback PZEV
Send a message via ICQ to dhintonca

Quote:
Originally posted by rsrocket1
I would recommend the FT-1500 over the IC-2000H if you wanted to put it into your Outback. A last ditch effort would be to put it in the door pocket
AD6ZU
Thanks for the quick reply, Roy: I can't get the 1500 into the door pocket - dunno if they've resized it slightly -- it's about 1/4" too thin for that radio :-(

Quote:
Unfortunately, the radio/CD compartment is perfectly sized for a double DIN volume, but the whole face is used up with the standard equipment. I wish they had made it a simple double DIN opening with a spacer, but that doesn't look as "slick". Some people here have replaced the face with a double DIN plate:
I phoned Crutchfield, and they told me a) they don't have any specs on an 09 and didn't want to risk sending me 08 parts, and anyway b) a double DIN won't fit! :-(
Otherwise that would be the route I'd take!

Thanks!
73 de VE7FKH

2009 Outback PZEV (Raised 2.5 inch)
1984 Chev/Frontier Class C Motorhome
2002 Impreza RS 2.5 (gone)
1976 Dodge Kary Van (gone)
1969 Ford Cortina GT (gone)
1967 Sunbeam Arrow (gone)
1967 Hillman Minx (gone as of 2005)
dhintonca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2008, 09:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
EdN
Legionairre

Car: 1999 Legacy

KC4JKW here,

I've mounted an ICOM 706 on a home made mount, control head, with the t/r unit under the passanger seat..

The antenna is a Little TarHeel II, mounted with a Diawa roof rack mount, on the right side rear of the rack...

The feedline, and antenna control wiring comes in through the top of the rear hatch, then slips behind the side covers and runs forward under the kick panel...

Power comes directly from the battery terminals.. The control hea is mounted to a vertical, adjustable mount I found on Ebay, was under 15 bucks plus shipping..I used some plastic cutting board for the rest of the mounting..

I also have a Panasonic CF-M34 Toughbook on the mount..I use that for GPS, web surfing and PSK31....

I have pictures of the installation if you need them..

Ed
EdN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2008, 09:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by EdN
KC4JKW here,

I've mounted an ICOM 706 on a home made mount, control head, with the t/r unit under the passanger seat..
[...]

I have pictures of the installation if you need them..

Ed
Thanks - always interested to see photos, but at the moment I'm trying to avoid buying a new rig! :-)

73 de VE7FKH

Old 08-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dhintonca

Roy: I can't get the 1500 into the door pocket - dunno if they've resized it slightly -- it's about 1/4" too thin for that radio :-(

Thanks!
73 de VE7FKH
GRRR!
Even a FT-1500 won't fit in that space? That side pocket is virtually useless. There was no reason for not making that side pocket larger. No one's leg would be in the way of a larger pocket at least large enough to put at least as much room for a cup holder in it. Our 05 Odyssey has that added space and the door cubby does not get in the way of the front seat occupants at all.

The lack of gadget space is one of the few disappointments in my new 2008 Outback.

I might use one of those dashboard clips to hold the TMV7A head:

help to partially disassemble 08 OBW radio console?
(the pictures posted by fnlyfnd)

Then again, I don't want the car to end up looking like some of those cars that pull into hamfests with twenty radios stacked in the car

--... ...-- -.. . .- -.. -.... --.. ..-
Attached Thumbnails
Ham Radios & Outbacks-radios.jpg  
Old 08-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by rsrocket1

The lack of gadget space is one of the few disappointments in my new 2008 Outback.
I quite agree - it's really rather upsetting. My old Impreza had the optional "raised" centre armrest and it was actually a storage pocket too -- this silly thing is just a cantilevered top and isn't worth the money I paid for it! :-(

73 de VE7 FKH

Old 10-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

Default Tiny Cars

K5DRH here,

I bought this car knowing it would be tough installing my Icom IC-2720H. At least it's a remote head. My dilemma is actually which antenna to use. I would like a mag mount but they scratch the paint. Ideally would do an NMO roof mount but then I'd have a hole in the roof. The roof rail/rack mounts are an option too. Just haven't decided what to do and I've had the car over 2 months now.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

An NMO based trunk lip mount antenna may work on the hood, but it would look pretty lame. For now I have a magmount at the rear of the roof just in front of the spoiler. It works well and looks OK. I was hoping I could use my variable angle trunk lip mount antenna on the hatch, but there is no place for a lip mount.

I may eventually put an NMO mount dead center on the roof. I always thought it would detract from the value of the car but my past 4 cars were:

85 Mitsubishi Mirage - 150k miles donated and towed away
86 4Runner - 275k donated and towed away
96 Sable Wagon - 168k donated and towed away
01 Honda Odyssey - Totaled by an uninsured motorist

I don't think I have a good history of reselling cars so I can probably do whatever I want with this Outback without worrying about resale value - but it looks so nice and new!
AD6ZU
Old 10-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
Legionairre

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5i

I put an NMO mount in my last vehicle, a '96 Jimmy. I never had a leak or any other problems. It wasn't too hard since I had an overhead console; access to the bare roof was simple. I think the key is to use a 3/4" hole punch to make a nice clean hole, instead of one of those uni-bits. Use good coax too so you don't have to replace it. I used double shielded RG223 (?).

Because of the height of the vehicle, I always used a unity gain whip, usually the type with the single coil in the middle and <19" long. It was unobtrusive but still occasionally got clipped in a parking garage.

AA3EE
Dave Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2008, 10:10 AM   #20 (permalink)

Car: '11 Outback 3.6R (5EAT)

Another Ham here (PM for callsign). Actually one reason why I bought the Outback in the first place was for ARES ops, field days and the like. Compared to my previous car ('07 Audi A4) there is LOTS of gadget space. I don't have factory GPS so there's a big void at the top of the dash that's just begging for radios.

At the moment my "car" radio is a Yaesu VX-7R HT.

For a while I considered getting the JDM Spec.B dash garnish that turns the GPS slot into a double-DIN receptacle. This would make some great radio room. But that and the piece to move the driver computer thingy to the ashtray slot would cost me about $500. So instead I will probably get two new radios with remote faces and mount the faces in the GPS pocket.

So far the idea is to get an Icom IC-2820 multiband transceiver and a Uniden BCD996T scanner. I really like Yaesu radios, but in this case I think the Icom will fit the car better. Uniden makes a remote face for the scanner, which isn't awfully expensive; I've seen it online for about $100.

Then I was planning to mount the radio bodies in the back of the vehicle, perhaps in the spare tire well. This would also shorten and simplify the coax cable run to the roof.

For antennas I was considering screwing L-brackets with NMO mounts to the sides of the roof rack rails. From what I've read on this board about people running power cables to roof-mount lights, I suspect it should be feasible to run LMR-400 cable through the rack using existing holes in the roof.

My current car setup (in the wife's Mini Cooper hahaha) is an Icom IC-2200H 2m transceiver and an Icom R-1500 wideband communications receiver. They go to a tiny duck antenna mounted on the hatch through a duplexer that I salvaged from an old Harris milcomm radio.
neutron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: