Ham Radios & Outbacks - Page 5 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #41 (permalink)
smn

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I'm looking at installing my Icom V-8000 I used in a different vehicle. I'm driving a 2000 OBW and has the empty slot under the stock radio. I'd like to install it in the slot this weekend. The radio looks like it'll fit but I'll have to get in there to make sure.

I've used a Yaesu 1500M in the car mounted to the side of the knee wall - just to the right of my knee when sitting.

I feel having the V-8000 installed in the slot makes it look a lot more professional an will give me more room around my knee.
smn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #42 (permalink)

Car: 2012 OB 2.5i Limited

I just got me buying an older Yaesu FT-90 in great shape WITH the separation kit. Plan on putting the main unit under the drivers seat and the head unit in the slot like you.. being it's my wife's car...the knee wall would NEVAR work no matter how small that FT-90 is. I'm just happy she'e letting me put something in it.
Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #43 (permalink)

Car: '05 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, '09 Outback Sport, '13 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP & Brilliant Brown Pearl

I've had a Icom IC-7000 and Icom IC-2820H in my 2005 2.5XT for some time now.. I use Larsen KG 2/70's for the 2820H, and either a Little Tarheel II or Tarheel 75A on a custom rack mount..

I used Super Heavy Duty 3M velcro strips to hold the IC-7000 head, and modified the head of the 2820H to accept the L-Bracket from a Icom IC-2720H and slipped that through the gap of the glove hatch.

The whole installation is No Holes..

73's..
Steve NS3L
Bethlehem, Pa.
"There is nothing wrong with your mind, you really have reached the end of the Internet... We hope you have enjoyed your stay. Your next stop is the twilight zone. From this day on you will be totally under our control."
HDSkullfire2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #44 (permalink)
smn

Here's my Icom V8000 installed in my 2000 OBW.

Note there is some space to the right. Perhaps I should upgrade.

I'm getting some ignition or alternator clicks... anyone got a suggestion on an alternator rebuild for the caps or diodes?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #45 (permalink)

Car: 1998 Outback Wagon 2.5L 4AT, 250k - OOS; 2009 OB 2.5i *Special* Edition, 26k
Default 1998 now 2009

That's what my 1998 looks like. Still does, but the HG (one or both) is/are gone, so my wife convinced me to get a new car instead of fixing it or putting in a CCR motor. Pity - it only has 250,000 on it. Never had any RF issues in the 1998. CD player came out to make room for the scanner.

So now I have a 2009 (bought in Oct 2012 with only 23k on it). Looking at Crutchfield for the parts I'll need to replace the factory stereo with a double-DIN hole so that I can mount the BCD996XT. If I can find a replacement box for the hole where the Nav system would be (if the car had come with one), I plan to put the FT90R up there. Not sure where the auxiliary GPS will go. Maybe where the "ashtray" is?

Anyone have a good dash parts listing so I can find replacements for the things I want to modify?

Edited to add that the 1998 had a Comet SBB-1NMO mounted in the forward center of the roof (with a hole, thanks), and a ... forget the manufacturer ... 800-MHz antenna for the scanner mounted towards the rear. That NMO mount has an integrated GPS antenna that I used for the Garmin GPS-V. All worked great. Holes are the way to go and plan to do the same setup on the 2009.
1998 Outback Wagon - OOS, 250k
2009 Outback Wagon 2.5i Special Edition, 27k
plaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #46 (permalink)
smn

I installed a Kenwood PG-3B inline audio filter on the V8000 radio. I'll find out some time this weekend how well it works to keep the alternator whine out when I next drive the car. From an audio report this morning my friend had to listen pretty hard to tell if there was any alternator whine, but it was more noticeable at the lower engine rpms.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #47 (permalink)

Car: 2014 Outback 2.5 Ltd with Nav, Eyesite, loaded.

Welcome group! K1DJG here. 2013 Outback with navi. I monitor police/fire a lot and purchased a Home Patrol 1 radio. I also got the GPS adapter. I can drive anywhere in the USA and Canada, and it will automatically configure and receive everything in the area, including trunked radio. Frequency updates are free online every Monday.
hmorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #48 (permalink)

Car: 1998 Outback Wagon 2.5L 4AT, 250k - OOS; 2009 OB 2.5i *Special* Edition, 26k

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmorse View Post
Welcome group! K1DJG here. 2013 Outback with navi. I monitor police/fire a lot and purchased a Home Patrol 1 radio. I also got the GPS adapter. I can drive anywhere in the USA and Canada, and it will automatically configure and receive everything in the area, including trunked radio. Frequency updates are free online every Monday.
Yep. Was doing that with the BCD996XT for a while (though I have to load frequencies for target areas - not an updatable SD card with the entire RadioReference DB like the HP1).

Now, with the new car, I need to pull the Crutchfield trigger and get the new parts so I can put the 996XT in it. Also have to figure out where to stuff the FT90R. If I can find a new plastic part for the navi hole (I don't have factory nav), I'll probably modify same and stick the Yaesu there.

Anyone know how to find that part?
Old 03-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaws View Post
Also have to figure out where to stuff the FT90R. If I can find a new plastic part for the navi hole (I don't have factory nav), I'll probably modify same and stick the Yaesu there.

Anyone know how to find that part?
And the answer is, like usual, eBay! Got it from the UPS man yesterday. Even has the clock display.

Once I take the dash apart, I will be able to see how much room I have to play with but it appears that I can just cut an FT90R-sized hole in the plastic and then mount it far enough back so the little door will close. It even occurred to me that I can run some cable from the radio's mic jack, behind and under the dash to a new jack somewhere else. That way, the mic cable won't hang out of the dash pod.

Got the Crutchfield stuff for the new radio. Evidently, "DIN" doesn't mean the same thing to everyone, though. Looks like the BCD996XT will stick out of the dash like it did on the 1998 (see pics above). Dang it - I wanted a flush fit!

Still need to figure out where to put the GPS-V.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #50 (permalink)

Default Antenna mounting

Anybody have any ideas of where to mount the antenna on the roof of the outback (magnatized) and to run the coax thru the roof.......I don't want to do a hack job, any suggestions would be great......Ray
Riverpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: