Bluetooth Phone - Phonebook Download - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2014 Outback 2.5 Ltd with Nav, Eyesite, loaded.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Bluetooth Phone - Phonebook Download

I cannot get my 2011 to download the phonebook from my cellphone. The manual states it holds 1000 numbers. Every time I hit the download or add button, my bluetooth connection is instantly disconnected, so no transfer is possible.

I have tried this with an iPhone 4, a Sprint Evo 4g, and a Verizon Droid.

Has anyone been successful with this? The manual is not helpful and customer service at Subaru has no clue what I am even talking about, despite a comprehensive explanation.

Last edited by hmorse; 12-03-2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: spelling
hmorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2011 OB 3.6R Limited with Nav

I feel your pain. There have been a couple of threads on this issue. I've got an iPhone4 and had to entry my phone book the old fashioned way. Not a lot of fun, but not the worst problem to deal with either.

John
JM Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Bluetooth phone - Phonebook Issue

yesterday, I had an extensive conversation with Subaru's Bluettoth person in customer service. His name is Grant. He stated that Subaru is aware of the phonebook issue, but that it is a phone issue and not a Subaru issue. (I say phooey to that). He said he has heard that Apple may be coming out with an App to allow the phonebook to be pushed into the Subaru system. He is unaware of any plans from Sprint or Verizon, and that no android phones will work either.

Has anyone download their phonebook with a Samsung phone, and then tried to access it with an iPhone4? It would be nice if someone could try that. If it worked, we could "borrow" a Samsung, transfer the phonebook from an iPhone, download it and then access it with the iPhone and return the Samsung.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
tob

Car: Outback 2.0 D, 2010 and Forester 1999

There are 21 bluetooth profiles and 6 protocols: Profiles Overview.
Iphone 4.2 has implemented six: iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Supported Bluetooth profiles, including the Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP).

"Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP, PBA)

Phone Book Access (PBA)[2] or Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP) is a profile that allows exchange of Phone Book Objects between devices. It is likely to be used between a car kit and a mobile phone to:
  • allow the car kit to display the name of the incoming caller;
  • allow the car kit to download the phone book so the user can initiate a call from the car display."
Bluetooth profile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe that Subaru is to blame for this deficiancy.
tob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Bluetooth

You are correct. It is also sometimes known as OBEX for Object Exchange. I also agree this is a Subaru issue.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Does anyone know if a 2011 Outback is capable of receiving traffic updates???
Old 12-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2010MY Legacy 2.0D Navplus Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tob View Post
There are 21 bluetooth profiles and 6 protocols: Profiles Overview.
Iphone 4.2 has implemented six: iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Supported Bluetooth profiles, including the Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP).

"Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP, PBA)

Phone Book Access (PBA)[2] or Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP) is a profile that allows exchange of Phone Book Objects between devices. It is likely to be used between a car kit and a mobile phone to:
  • allow the car kit to display the name of the incoming caller;
  • allow the car kit to download the phone book so the user can initiate a call from the car display."
Bluetooth profile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe that Subaru is to blame for this deficiancy.
I agree that Subaru is to blame. I have an iPhone 3G over here in the UK and can't be bothered to re-enter each number manually in my 2009 Navplus. When I get into my wife's Golf with 6 year old Parrot Bluetooth system it reads the phonebook on my iPhone 3G and displays it live.
GeoffW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
pmj

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5i ltd

I have the same issue with the Nav/Bluetooth system on our 2012 Outback syncing the phonebook with both my wife's Samsung Intensity II and my Motorola Droid X. I too have had quite a few calls with the above mentioned Mr. Grant at Subaru. Amazing how the reply I got from him was the same he gave hmorse in dec. 2010, yet told me - during several of our conversations - that no one before me EVER had this issue!... really??!!! (I just discovered this forum and subscribed to it) He even said that, according to the Droid X manual he downloaded, the phone is not able to export contacts via Bluetooth and that's the reason the Subaru system disconnects... I just got off the phone with Motorola's customer service (as you can see I'm VERY persistent) who not only confirmed the ability of the Droid X to output the contacts via Bluetooth, but also added that they use the PBAP file protocol.
According to Grant, Subaru's Bluetooth devices only accept OOP files - I did some search and I can't still make any sense of this information - so I guess that if we all need a solution we should try to contact the manufacturer of their system (Kenwood?).
I just don't want to let them get away with this.
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Address Book Download

Why not send Grant a copy of my 2010 post and your post, and ask him to explain why your recent conversation was such a suprise to him? Maybe copy the CEO also!

Please keep us posted with what you learn from Motorola. I am using three cell phones but only have my iPhone on ATT connected. I also have a Motorla Razr on Verizon and a NEO on Sprint. None will do the phonebook. Surely there would be an uproar if ALL vehicle manufacturers bluetooths failed to handle this issue, so clearly, it is a Subaru problem despite any fabrications or explanations we are given.

I would imagine the fix would be an easy one at that!
Old 02-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Location: The dry side of the blood brain barrier in SW Idaho
Car: TWO 2010 2.5CVT Premiums for daughters, 2012 3.6R limited for me:-)

I wish Subaru of America would fix this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: