Subaru Outback Forums banner

2013 Outback Limited with Nav wiring harness for Aftermarket HU

8K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  TheMadMan007 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2013 Outback 2.5i Limited with Nav. The first thing I want to do is replace the stock headunit with my Pioneer SPH-DA120. I really wish the stock had Carplay, but that's why I am replacing it with my Headunit:grin2:.

Anyways, I'm trying to find out the proper dashmount and wiring harness to use, but it seems the outbacks with the Nav are a bit harder to track down the right aftermarket harnesses and mounts. Does anyone have any idea of what I need to get? I usually can find this stuff pretty easy, but the Outback has quite a few configurations that are making me confused.

#2 ·
The standard dash kit that Metra, AI, and Scosche will work fine, though some people prefer the very expensive OEM JDM trim piece. I had a '12 and just used the Metra kit. The power/ground/speaker harness should be a Toyota/Subaru harness but you'll have to move one pin from one harness to the other (and unfortunately it's been so long that I'm not sure which one it is). There is a 28 pin harness that David offered for a while but I'm not sure if he is still in the harness business. Don't forget to pick up a steering wheel adapter to make the OEM controls work with the new radio.

#3 ·
Ok, I don't know who David is, but I was doing some research on the forums and it looks like AutoHarnessHouse is now the go to guys for wiring harnesses. I emailed them and Brian replied right away and was able to help me out with what I need to get my Pioneer Headunit in. Now I am trying to figure out what kind of Double DIN to get to fit my HU in.

I looked online and found this from Metra Metra Online
Can anyone confirm this is the right one? It say's its for one without Nav and mine has the Nav touchscree in it, I don't want to buy something that won't fit.

#7 ·
Ok, I don't know who David is, but I was doing some research on the forums and it looks like AutoHarnessHouse is now the go to guys for wiring harnesses. I emailed them and Brian replied right away and was able to help me out with what I need to get my Pioneer Headunit in. Now I am trying to figure out what kind of Double DIN to get to fit my HU in.

I looked online and found this from Metra Metra Online
Can anyone confirm this is the right one? It say's its for one without Nav and mine has the Nav touchscree in it, I don't want to buy something that won't fit.
That looks like the correct kit, but be warned that the silver color that Metra initially used didn't match the Subaru color and texture exactly. I think I used a black version with no issue.

#4 ·
It just so happens this past week I installed a new Pioneer AVH-4200NEX in place of the factory Fujitsu Ten navigation HU in my own 2013 Outback 2.5i Limited. I purchased all the cables from David (SVXdc) at his ae64.com site. It did take a while for his initial reply to my inquiry, but after that it went very quickly and he was tremendously helpful.

I got these from him:

1) 10/6-pin harness with RCA plugs and amp trigger lead to allow me to keep using the Outback Limited's H/K amp.
2) Rear camera harness with an RCA plug for the Pioneer HU rear camera input.
3) 28-pin harness with leads to maintain the center console Aux port
4) 3rd party adapter cables for the AM/FM antenna and the center console USB port.

I was planning to use an external 12V-to-6V converter, but David alerted me to the fact that the Maestro-RR I was planning to use for the iDatalink SWC could also supply the +6VDC for powering the rear camera, making it a much cleaner install.

From Ebay I purchased a used brushed silver center trim bezel from a Legacy/Outback Premium and a JDM-style silver fascia (face plate). For mounting the radio and the fascia I cannibalized a Metra 95-8903B kit, sawing off the front angled pieces and just using the plastic side pieces for attaching to the radio and the fascia and mounting to the Outback.

#11 ·
Thanks BSBD. I will try contacting him again.

I am on my third OEM unit b/c the bluetooth keeps crapping out.

#12 ·
Here are a few pictures of my Outback. I'm kinda stumped on what to do. I have the new HU and was thinking it was just going inplace of the Nav screen, but the actual Radio part looks like it's below.

So what I am thiking is getting on of those OEM trims that you were talking about and hopefully it'll have a space to put my HU in place of the Nav screen, and then have some sort of cubby hole I guess in place of where the actual stereo is, and it looks like the AC unit is going to say in place, correct?

Something like this I am guessing? Ebay

Any pictures, or links would be greatly appreciated, this is more complicated than any previous car stereo swap that I've ever done. Usually it's buy a single wire harness and a Dash kit and go, but this seems much more cumbersome. oh well, it'll all be worth it in the end.

#13 ·
So what I am thiking is getting on of those OEM trims that you were talking about and hopefully it'll have a space to put my HU in place of the Nav screen, and then have some sort of cubby hole I guess in place of where the actual stereo is, and it looks like the AC unit is going to say in place, correct?

The electronics for your current Subaru OEM Fujitsu Ten nav radio does occupy the lower part behind the big knob and buttons just above the climate control. The tilted display screen sits above that with nothing behind it. An aftermarket HU like your Pioneer will occupy the space where your nav screen is now and the cubby will occupy the space where the Fujitsu Ten HU body was.

The replacement HU must be mounted level, not tilted down at the back, to avoid hitting a bar that runs laterally across the back. I've set-up the tilt angle on my Pioneer AVH-4200NEX's LCD screen to match the angle of the bezel and fascia when the unit is powered on, but the actual HU chassis behind the screen is level.

Something like this I am guessing? Ebay

Yes, that's the same type of bezel I used. The one I got included the two louvered air-vents, but if you end up with the bezel you linked to you can just carefully unsnap the vents from your current bezel and snap them onto the replacement.

OK, I've attached some pics of my installation.

Pic-1: The $33 JDM-style silver fascia from Hong Kong and two black plastic mounting ears I created by taking a hacksaw to a Metra 95-8903B mounting kit. I could have just used the Metra kit unmodified, but I wanted the look of the JDM-style fascia.

Pics-2 & 3: Due to the thickness of the plastic side pieces, the Pioneer-supplied screws almost aren't long enough to thread into the holes in each side of the HU. The scuffing you see is where I used a file to remove some of the plastic stock from the outside of the black ears and inside of the silver fascia flange to thin things up enough for the screw threads to catch securely. As I mentioned in a previous post, I also had to file the fascia's bottom flanges enough to clear the little flange sticking out on the Metra piece.

The remaining pics are various shots of the finished product from different angles.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.