Replacing key/fob - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
The uber nerd

Car: 08 2.5i
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Replacing key/fob

My 08 Outback came with a spare key/fob... until my wife lost it. A replacement from Subaru is $140, but looking around there are plenty of used keys/fobs on ebay. My question is, as long as the P/N match up- will a pre-cut key, like this one, fit my car? I imagine reprogramming it should be straight forward. TIA..

d
MK19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK19 View Post
My 08 Outback came with a spare key/fob... until my wife lost it. A replacement from Subaru is $140, but looking around there are plenty of used keys/fobs on ebay. My question is, as long as the P/N match up- will a pre-cut key, like this one, fit my car? I imagine reprogramming it should be straight forward. TIA..

d
A pre-cut key absolutely will not work. You'd need to find a blank one and cut it, but I've found plenty of blanks on eBay for cheap before.

Reprogramming the remote is typically a DIY thing, but I believe all the 2008 cars have an immobilizer chip, which the dealer would have to program to your car. Most dealers should do this for a lot less than what they would charge for a brand new key/remote.

New one:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Box TRD Sport
Bone Stock for Now
jp1203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: I has car.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Notes I've got say the immobilizer was only on the 2.5XT and 3.0R Outbacks in '08. Can't say for sure but we'd just check the dash for an immobilizer light if the car were here in front of us.

Technically there's a 1 in 7850 chance that key will work your car. Better odds you'll draw four of a kind in 5-card stud poker.

This post may sound self-serving, but check with an automotive locksmith near you. Might be surprised. . . we sell those. You can re-shell a used key but check around to make sure you can get it cut/programmed before buying it. We/most locksmiths/dealers are a bit leery of cutting customer-furnished keys.

An alternative to the dealer is Keylessride:

http://www.keylessride.com/order/quo...&frid=F4A7D33C

$94 brand new, $70 re-shelled (oem guts in a new aftermarket shell that's undiscernable from the OEM one).

We buy from them/refer folks to them without worry. Good folks. eBay: hit and miss.

Ours are about the same price as KR by the time it's cut ($100). . .so not much incentive to buy those from us if it needs to be shipped. I *could* provide it already cut, you'd still need to program the remote tho.

Always parting/fixing a subie or three. . . email me if you need parts. Mostly fool with 2nd gen stuff (00-04).

I seem to get a lot of "will xx fit in my car?" emails. . . I'm not the authority on everything Subaru, so I very well may tell you the wrong answer as there's nobody else to check me. Please search or ask via the forums first. . .when I answer you via email, it never gets posted and nobody else can confirm or refute my answer.
lockmedic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

And, you really want to have the dealer load up the keyless entry module with both the new and remaining key/fob codes, thereby eliminating/erasing the system's record of the one that was lost.

Otherwise, the lost one could still be used to open/drive the car. If the key was lost near to home, it might be all too easy for someone finding the fob to identify which car it belongs to by pressing the panic or lock/unlock button when near a 08+ Subaru. (The fob and key are together, unlike earlier -- my 07 -- where the fob is separate. Combined key/fob is "driveaway".)

The keyless module can register, I believe, up to four fobs. Two are already in, and there's two spare places. By loading in the two remaining fobs (your original and a new one) twice each, all four places are taken up, and the lost fob's registration is erased (replaced). That way, the lost fob would not be recognized.

(I would add that if was lost nearby, perhaps someone finding it could go around seeing which car responds to the fob and then leave a note for the driver with info as to where the fob can be retrieved. There's still hope . . . )
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Definitely good points. Didn't realize the immobilizer was still absent from the 2.5i in 2008! I was actually shocked that my 2004 didn't have one when I bought it.

I also tend to forget that most people don't have a key duplicator. It's no big deal for me to cut a duplicate of my car key (though if it was chipped I couldn't do anything about that), but I could see where a locksmith wouldn't necessarily want to use a customer's blanks.

New one:
Bone Stock for Now
Old 04-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Didn't realize the immobilizer was still absent from the 2.5i in 2008!
I believe that the immobilizer is standard on all OBs from at least 05. As lockmedic mentioned, it's identified easily by the flashing "security" light on the instrument panel when the car is off, and is described in the Owners Manual (certainly in my 07) without any reference to "if installed" or "optional".
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Subaru Keyless Entry, Security Alarm, Immobilizer Key, Remote Start Systems. Most years and models

Looks like it was standard on all Outbacks from 2006 on, and for 2005 it was standard on the XT, LL Bean, VDC, and sedan.

New one:
Bone Stock for Now
Old 04-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: I has car.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Models designated for Canada markets got immobilzers earlier than US models. That comes up a lot on the international locksmith forums I'm a member of. Dealer could tell you for sure if its chipped by vin but I don't think a 2.5i will be in 2008. Subaru was pretty lazy when it came to equipping immobilizers.

Always parting/fixing a subie or three. . . email me if you need parts. Mostly fool with 2nd gen stuff (00-04).

I seem to get a lot of "will xx fit in my car?" emails. . . I'm not the authority on everything Subaru, so I very well may tell you the wrong answer as there's nobody else to check me. Please search or ask via the forums first. . .when I answer you via email, it never gets posted and nobody else can confirm or refute my answer.
lockmedic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: