Cracked nav screen - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks Lashlee. That is where my concern is as well. Hoping I dont have to take too much apart to attach the cable. Is it typically a straight connection or could it potentially have to be soldered?
drewman75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car: 2012 2.5i Limited

More than likely it fits into a socket with a flap that should help secure the connection. I would try to flip up the connector before giving it a slight tug. If it is supposed to move it will easily, though it might not be a connector that is designed to move so just be ginger. It should only fit one way and should be bent or folded to fit around the board or DVD transport. Just take your time and it should go well!
lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Well, an update for everyone in case anyone else encounters this at some point. Posted a small update to another thread, but figured I would to this as well in case anyone searches in the future on a cracked nav screen. I was able to find the touchscreen. It was only $120 and just had a simple ribbon cable that connects to the back of the nav screen itself. That was the easy part. Everything else is a mess. You basically have to pull out the entire radio/nav unit to get to it. And have to basically disassemble the cage holding the radio to be able to pull off the nav unit. Baffling why they did it this way. If I could have disconnected the entire thing in the back, it probably would have been a success. But I had zero room. I could not even fit my entire hand behind the unit when pulled out. So I had to work with it connected and it became a mess. Everything is connected together by these new flimsy ribbon cables that are held in place by fragile black plastic clamps. And when you are moving things around trying to pull it apart and remove the gazillion screws, a couple of these are bound to work loose. As luck would have it, the one that wiggled loose on mine was way back behind the CD and nav DVD drives. Basically impossible to get to. I bought every plier and tweezer product under the sun to try to get to it and reconnect it, with no luck. If I could have gotten the unit out, I probably could have pulled the entire thing apart. Which would have been a nightmare anyway. So I am taking it to an audio shop to see if they have better luck. At least maybe they might be able to get the unit out. How they reconnect it again with no room, I have no idea. I now understand why the dealerships want no part of trying to replace a single $120 part and just say they need to replace the entire thing. They probably don't want to be on the hook for the issues that arise from pulling the thing apart and the inevitable ribbon cables coming loose. What an absolute mess. Done quite a few of these types of things before and never encountered a mess like this. My recommendation for anyone that encounters this is to buy the part, take it to an audio shop, and if they are willing, let them take on the responsibility. Or if you can get a dealer willing to replace the part (mine wouldn't), let them have at it.
drewman75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car: 2012 2.5i Limited

Where are you located, bring it to me and I'll get you fixed up!
lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: