Cracked nav screen - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cracked nav screen

Hi All,
Hope everyone is well. Soliciting opinions here before I visit the dealership. So my little son got loose when I was trying to get him into his car seat and he got upfront and managed to hit and crack my nav screen on my 2011 Outback. Obviously prepared for the worst which is probably a new unit. But wondering if anyone else has had this happen. Can they simply replace the screen glass or is it for sure a full replace? Obviously not something covered under warranty, so going to be out of pocket. Which is quite the bummer this time of year. Anyhow. Thanks in advance for any input you may have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 02:17 PM

Car: 2012 2.5i Limited
Depending on what the dealer has to say you've got a few options. One being a new one from the dealer, a used one from ebay or craigslist, an aftermarket or sending it to a place like united radio that repairs radios. They may or may not be able to repair it (depending on the availablity of the parts) but I would go aftermarket. The new nav unit will be up to date and you can get parts to make the OEM steering wheel controls work and possbily some extras that weren't available from the factory.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Lashlee for the reply. Much appreciated. The dealership basically said the only option is replacement which is $2950 just for the unit. Which was roughly the price of the option when I bought it. So I assume they probably make a little money off it? Or maybe not. Labor would only be about $150 he said. I looked on ebay and couldn't find anything. I guess my questions regarding an aftermarket is that I then have a bunch of buttons on my console that would then do nothing. Which oddly kind of bugs me. It doesn't seem like the factory one really does anything with the car aside from the actual nav, bluetooth and radio. So I don't really lose any functionality like pulling info from any other part of the vehicle. Thought about doing the send away repair thing, but honestly the idea of removing a unit like this and sending it away for repair makes me quesy. Would be much more likely to do it if I could simply find a local shop that would do it and I could just drop the car off. But doesn't seem like there is any place here locally. The actually unit seems to function perfectly. Its just that anything that happens to be on the left one quarter of the screen doesn't respond to touch due to the crack. Any idea if there is a place to maybe find a part number for just the LCD for the unit? Really eats at me that I am basically looking at thousands of dollars just because of essentially an LCD. :-(
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 PM

Car: '15 FXT
These days the LCD is usually a permanent install on the unit. You would need to have a professional to look at it. There have only been a handful of them on this board and most were chased off by people who prefre a stock look to thier OB> *grumble *grumble

If you go after market you can get a unit that will work mostly like the factory and all buttons on the steering wheel should work. It's possible the the only thing you would lose is that nice lady telling you "this function is not available while driving."

-Dave

Common sense, isn't common.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks NovaBlue. I think I am at least now convinced that I need to look into the aftermarket option. My biggest concern as I mentioned was having a bunch of useless buttons. But if its possible to get my rear-cam and steering wheel controls to work with an aftermarket, than that probably eliminates a couple of my main concerns. Can anyone recommend an aftermarket option? Should I stick to Kenwood for compatibility sake?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 05:03 PM

Car: 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, PZEV, Satin White Pearl, SAP, OEM Hitch, Body Side Moldings, Door Edge Guards, Wheel Arch Moldings, Splash Guards, Rear Seat Back Protectors, Rear Bumper Cover, Pin Striping with Subaru Emblem, 19mm RSB
For what it's worth,

I just paid to replace the screen in a C90-W display for the Raymarine GPS/Radar/Sounder on my boat. I took the high impact of a fishing weight to the bottom of the screen and it sent a spider web crack right up through the center of the screen

I wound up paying a little over half of what it would cost for a whole new display, just for the screen and the installation. Keep in mind that the unit screws into the dash and comes off so itís not a permanent fixture like the unit in your Outback.

I'm thinking labor to install would be considerably more in terms of the overall repair. Also keep in mind that though Subaru has replacement screens for such repairs, I would guess that there are many more entire units in stock than there are replacement screens. Lead time for the part may be a consideration.

In my case, the cost was so high, I had to do an insurance claim. Trust me, this ain't no $500 job, its more.

Have you considered that route? What the heck, you may want to just ask and see if your insurance may cover some of it, it was an accident. Right

Let's See What This Thing Can Do!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 05:53 PM

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewman75 View Post
Should I stick to Kenwood for compatibility sake?
No need to stick to Kenwood. The audio & video signals to/from the car are the same with any brand. Steering wheel controls are only slightly trickier- most aftermarket stereos depend on a translator box sold separately to do the integration. All of the big stereo brands have adapter boxes to fit all major car makes. Focus on the navigation features & update costs, that will probably lead you to the best unit for your needs.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 05:53 PM

One other thing that may be an issue that you brought up earlier, the factory camera may or may not work with the aftermarket. If the wiring is behind the radio you may have to adapt over to a standard video RCA tip to work with the aftermarket, or add a second camera. I'm not 100% on how they did it in MY11 but my MY12 does not have the camera signal behind the radio, but I have the screen in the mirror for my camera.

And to add what Rasterman stated, find a unit that you find easy to work, appealing to look at and with the features you need. Something that matters to me may not matter to you. I would stop by your local specialty shop and see what they have to offer. Generally they will have a few on display so that you can spend some "quality time" with the unit before you decide to buy it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone. After some exhaustive Google searches I finally found the part number and a supplier for just the touch panel of the display unit. Not sure how the touch panel is connected onto the unit itself. But going to take it out and see what I can do. I figure if that part cant be replaced, I lose the unit anyway. So worth a shot. I will update how it goes just in case anyone else has the same issue in the future and searches the forum.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 04:54 PM

Most of the time, it's not as hard as you think. The screen should be bolted to the front plastic panel and use a ribbon cable that is connected to the main board. The ribbon cable connector is going to be the hard part since there are many variations on how they are secured to the circuit board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: