Purchasing aftermarket stereo/nav for 2013 Outback - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Subaru Outback Premium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Purchasing aftermarket stereo/nav for 2013 Outback

Looking at the 7" Alpine head unit for our 2013 OB Premium. We understand the Dash mounting kit will inset the head unit about 2 inches. Has anyone installed this unit or similar that has an inset? Does it make it difficult to push control buttons? Anything you don't like about the way it is installed? Thinking about installing it with existing trim angle but thought it might make viewing the screen (playing DVDs) difficult.

Thanks for your input!
NewbieOB13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: '11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

for the 10-12s you can buy a dash kit so it is flush, not sure about 13s. i got the one that is recessed like the factory kit. my kenwood sterio has a knob that made it difficult for my passenger to change the volume. i changed to the kit that is flush with the rest of the dash. it looks better and makes the use of the buttons on the radio much easier to use. an extra 5 mins of cutting plastic inside the dash with a dremel. and i worried too about it making the screen harder to read, but it just looks funny for a few weeks til you're used to the new angle.

i have a few parts that aren't supposed to be there...

tired of a sore elbow from the hard plastic armrest? get a cover here http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/...r&id=1&aid=774
bradze is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2011,premium,2.5

I got my pioneer x3500 with the trim kit from crutchfield it's a 6.1 screen and it shows a gap,plus it makes it not flush with the rest of the consels if i cant use my steering wheel volume key i will have dificallty doing anything with it at all...so i am in the same boat u are...bradze if you got a link or pics of yours send them here

things i bought (non performance): subtle dead pedal, painted inside,logos and fog-light covers,all-weather floor mats,left and right side cargo nets, back bumper cover, polk audio db6501 and db651,alpine pdx-v9, pioneer avh-x3500bhs and ts-sw2501s4 + sub box, back-up camera and outback key chain
kmssgoten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Subscribing to see pics of different dash kits.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2012 2.5i Limited

I've got a Kenwood installed in my MY12 OB that is of the motorized face variety so that if the need arises I can move the screen to make it easier to see. Up to this point it hasn't been an issue. The radio fits well in the standard Metra kit without too much gap. I worked with David (svxDc) and Metra to get the wiring firgured out for the steering wheel controls.
lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: