center console under-cd changer removal - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-26-2006, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Legionairre

Car: 2001 Outback H6 3.0 L.L Bean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default center console under-cd changer removal

i have a 2001 Outback LL Bean...

under the cd/radio theres an empty space with a plastic liner so you can put stuff in there..

i want to use this space to mount either my Uniden BCT8 or BC996D scanner (whichever one fits I guess...).

my problem is i cant figure out if/how i can remove the plastic liner. i need to, otherwise they dont fit.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: '03 OBW LTD Black/Black, '10 2.5i Premium Cypress Green
Send a message via AIM to dakboy

It's a chore. Basically, you need to remove the trim around the shifter, then on the dash. Then pull the ashtray, unscrew everything, and the stereo, HVAC controls, and that tray come out on a subframe. Then you can remove the tray.

I think. Been 9 months since I pulled all that apart to install my stereo.
'10 OB 2.5i Premium Cypress Green CVT
dakboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2006, 11:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
I'm Not Slash...yet.

Car: 2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal / 2002 Outback Limited - Timberline Green
Send a message via AIM to FMGreen

Check the pdf in this thread:

Audio Installation Instructions for all '00-'04 Outbacks (.pdf)
Old 05-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Legionairre

Quote:
Originally posted by dakboy
It's a chore. Basically, you need to remove the trim around the shifter, then on the dash. Then pull the ashtray, unscrew everything, and the stereo, HVAC controls, and that tray come out on a subframe. Then you can remove the tray.
Its been a while, But I'm thinking about trying this again.
Last time I read the stereo-install PDF, and after I got all the trim removed I got stuck...

I dont plan on using my tray again. I wonder if theres a way to cut it out without damaging the frame. Seems a lot easier than removing the stereo and HVAC. I don't like to mess with the alarms and stereos.
Anyone know how to go about this in a less-invasive way than described above?
Old 05-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Radio wiring harness guru

Car: 1996 SVX L AWD

Quote:
Originally posted by Patman252
I dont plan on using my tray again. I wonder if theres a way to cut it out without damaging the frame. Seems a lot easier than removing the stereo and HVAC.
You really should give it another try. It's the only way to access the screws that hold the pocket into the mounting brackets (so you can completely remove the pocket). Pulling out the radio/bracket assembly might also let you mount your scanner to the car's brackets. Plus you'll be able to do all of that work on your workbench or kitchen table.

Where did you get stuck last time?

In that other thread that FMGreen linked to, there's now a link to a second PDF file with color pictures and an extra step (disconnecting the cable from the temperature knob).

This thread on LegacyGT has similar instructions and pictures: Help: Replacing stereo on a 02 legacy wagon
Old 05-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Legionairre

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXdc

Where did you get stuck last time?
[/URL]
Okay guys I gave it another shot today, and it was a success. I think last time I got stuck when I had to undo the screws above the ash tray. I didnt have the right screwdrivers to do that, but I suceeded today.

Then I got intimidated when I had to pull out the HVAC/Stereo assembly. Especially since that Alarm box is right there. I drove a couple blocks away to a local car shop run by a guy I work with at the firehouse. He told me as long as I don't touch any wires I shouldn't have trouble, but reminded me that if I do, I might need my alarm or Stereo reset.

Anyway I did it and it wasn't a problem. I stripped a screw (the easy-to-get-to one where the alarm box mounts to the frame. It wouldn't budge, and I stripped it trying. I got one of those ProGrabbit things for damaged screws and it worked great. Real easy.

Anyway I wasn't ready to install it today but I will do that in a few days (I will post pictures). At least now I know how to do it, and I have that stupid cubby out of my way. haha.

I have one minor problem. The scanner fits in the alotted space, but the face of the scanner is wider, and I will need to trim the wood-grain to get it to fit. I'm planning on carefully trimming it away with a Dremel tool. Anyone have any thoughts about this?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 1997 outback limited. 249,000 miles and counting

Quote:

I have one minor problem. The scanner fits in the alotted space, but the face of the scanner is wider, and I will need to trim the wood-grain to get it to fit. I'm planning on carefully trimming it away with a Dremel tool. Anyone have any thoughts about this?
Take note of where gets warm on the scanner. Electronics can overheat if crowed in to close, especially with no space to breath.
Sario is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Radio wiring harness guru

Car: 1996 SVX L AWD

Quote:
The scanner fits in the alotted space, but the face of the scanner is wider, and I will need to trim the wood-grain to get it to fit. I'm planning on carefully trimming it away with a Dremel tool. Anyone have any thoughts about this?
Can you trim the face of the scanner instead?

Seriously, you might be able to remove the face and whittle that down, and then reinstall it.

I'd be concerned about how that dash plastic might melt (or even crack) as the blade cut into it. Sorry, I don't have any suggestions on how to trim it.

You might check the price on a replacement dash piece (to see what it would cost you if you really mess up ). Plus, you could choose to go ahead and buy another one now to hack on, so you can reinstall the unmodified one if you ever sell the car (or upgrade to a smaller scanner ).
Old 05-31-2009, 11:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Legionairre

haha trimming the scanner would not work, plus its worth several times what the dash plastic is, so thats not an option.

I'm not worried about resale...... but I don't want this to look like a hackjob. I plan on cutting it out kinda small and then using sandpaper or a dremel grinder attatchment to smooth it out and adjust it to fit the scanner. I say this because I dont want any awkward gaps around it.

If I decide thats too difficult or not possible I'll see if I can mount it sticking out just a little bit.

also thats a good thought about the hot electronics with little cooling. the scanner doesnt seem to get hot by itself, but I assume the car stereo does. So I'll keep that in mind.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Legionairre

hey just an update... I finished this almost a month ago but I never got around to posting.

Finished my install. I was really afraid of messing with that alarm box. After I had it mostly taken apart I went over to the local shop and had my mechanic and fellow vol fireman look at it. He pointed me in the right direction about how to proceed.

I stripped the screw holding the alarm box in, because it was tight and wouldnt budge. I used an ProGrabbit from Lowes to drill/screw it out. It worked great, and I recommend them if you get in a jam.

The install went fine. I worked on it inside my fire station, and the guy who does the electronics on our Fire Engines wired it for me. He was able to splice off from the cigarette lighter pretty easily.

Note about the Dremel tool on the hard plastic...
Believe it or not, it worked fine. As precaution I recommend using masking tape. It acts as a guide and prevents the wood grain coating from flaking after cutting. No problems there.

I will post pictures soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: