Navigation Motion Lock Out - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i L. L. Bean Edition
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Navigation Motion Lock Out

I know this has been discussed before but I have yet to see an answer (and I know there has to be one out there).

How can I disable the motion lockout of the OEM Navigation System so my wife (or any passenger) can enter information while the vehicle is in motion? In another forum (http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost....52&postcount=8) it is talked about disconnecting, reconnecting, and disconnecting a wire on the DVD unit under the driver's seat. It is not very practable to do this every time I get into the car. There has to be an easier way.

Does anyone know of a wire that I can permanently disconnect or a code that I can put in to put the NAV system into a service mode or something? PM me if you do not want to post this info but I am desperate because of the numerous family trips that we take.

Thanks in advance for your help!
BillN96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2007, 07:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Puller of stuck cars

Car: 03 Outback H6

Can't help you with a code, but if the solution is to unhook a wire, then rehook up the wire, you may want to think about putting a push button to do the hooking/unhooking for you.

Speed doesn't kill. Your wife finding out you got a ticket for it does.

Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2007, 08:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 06 Outback LLBean-Black

My understanding is that the Nav system uses a combination of GPS and feedback from the car to determine where you are on the map. I think that the civilian GPS is only accurate to around 15 ft, so the system uses the car feedback (mph) to fill in the blanks. The system also uses this feedback to determine that the car is in motion and that the input should be locked out. I think that if you disconnect the wire you are basically tricking the system into thinking that the car isn't moving, at least until the GPS reports that your position has changed. I wonder how well disconnecting the wire would work at high speeds... it might lock you out anyway.

There's probably a lot of cool things that are hidden in the Nav system but it doesn't look like anyone has figured out how to get them yet. We need an insider at Kenwood.

Also, I thought it would be great if somebody figured out how to hack the Nav system. It's basically a computer with a DVD reader sitting under your front seat that has some level of communication with your car's computer. If someone could figure out some details about the system, it might be possible to run an open source MP3/DVD player (or any other software) on the thing. I used to have this internet appliance thing called a 3Com Audrey that hooked up to the internet and had a touch screen. It was basically used for getting email and keeping phone books and stuff. Somebody figured out that it was running QNX operating system and was able to hack it. Now there is a whole community of Audrey hackers writing software for the thing. If we could get into the Nav system like that we could do all kinds of things depending on what kind of info is passed back and forth from the Nav system to the car's computer. It seems like having all that hardware to just do Navigation is a waste especially when it is already so closely integrated with the car. Why not play MP3s and DVDs, control every function of the car like interior lights and door locks, provide feedback via virtual guages for oil pressure etc?

Anyway, if you figure out any hidden codes let us know.
runwadm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: