Subaru Outback Forums banner

2014 Outback Bluetooth Audio and Phone

29K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  yodoc 
#1 ·
Hey y'all,

First, I apologize if this is duplicate. I hadn't seen posts about the latest model year, so I'm posting anyway.

Just purchased a 2014 Outback Limited with the Harman Kardon stereo (including HD Radio and Sirius). From what I understand, this vehicle should be capable of pairing my phone for both phone and audio streaming, but I think I'm missing something in the setup process.

I'm using an android HTC One.

I paired the phone successfully at the dealership, and selected the option of "Internal Audio" as opposed to "Phone only." When initially attempting bluetooth audio, the car actually started playing the music I was streaming to my spotify app (though not showing track information). Somehow, though, we stumbled into the bluetooth audio setup menu, and since then I haven't been able to get my audio back!

I've tried deleting the paired phone and repairing. I still can't hear the music being transmitted, BUT I can see that manipulation of the steering wheel controls does allow me to change tracks on the phone . . . so there's some kind of connection.

So the first question:
Is there something obvious I'm missing here?

Secondly, semi-related question:
Is it possible to download my contact list from my phone to the car, or am I really, truly stuck importing and saving contacts to the car's system individually? I've come across conflicting reports in my reading, but I'm holding out hope that there's a solution I'm missing.

Thanks everybody!

See less See more
#2 ·
I also have the 2014 outback. Samsung gs4, but same problem with motorola droid x. I have problems with the phone connecting, disconnect, reconnect within secs. as a continuous process. I can not get it to bletooth pandora i have to use aux connect and my nav screen is blank on start up 90% of the time. two new radios, Subaru engineer visit and now I am trying to decide if I should get a toyota or wait for the radio co to fix the problem. this is the first time i have found someone else with a similar prob

#3 ·
I have problems with the phone connecting, disconnect, reconnect within secs. as a continuous process.
That sounds a lot like what happens when you don't accept the link requests on the phone. It will connect, but if it doesn't get a confirmation from the phone within 10-20 seconds it will disconnect and try again later.

If this really is the issue, here's what you should do, at least on the S4: Right after you turn the ignition on and the HU starts its boot process, start looking for the first of two Bluetooth connection request notifications to pop-up on your phone. Open the notification up, place a check mark in the "Do not ask again" or "Always accept" checkbox, then press OK to accept. Then do the same for the second BT notifications that pops-up shortly afterwards. Checking those checkboxes before pressing OK should make them connect automatically in the future.

#6 ·
I have a 2014 Outback 2.5i (base model) and my phone is an LG Revere 3. So far, I have not been able to pair the phone to the car for hands-free operation. I can pair my iPod no problem. What is the exact procedure? I've seen a video but it appears to apply to a Premium or Limited edition Outback. Is hands-free vial Bluetooth even possible on a base model '14 Outback?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.