2005 McIntosh steering wheel controls with AXXESS ASWC - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Subaru Outback H6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2005 McIntosh steering wheel controls with AXXESS ASWC

Hi there guys. I recently purchased a AXXESS ASWC. Iv already swapped my McIntosh DEck over for a new JVC unit, and installed after-market amp, sub and speakers.

The instructions for installation were nice and clear. The instructions tell me that im to connect the Grey/Red wire from the ASWC to the Orange/White (pin 7) wire on the 8 pin connector of the car. Problem is that there isn't an 8 pin connector for the McIntosh deck and the two 20 & 18 pin connectors that are there don't have a Orange/White wire of either of them.

Has anyone any ideas? The controls on the steering wheel look exactly like those on all other OB's, so im assuming that for some reason they used a different colour wire on the OB's fitted with a McIntosh system? Anyone any ideas? A wiring diagram for an 2005 McIntosh OB would no doubt tell me, but i cant find one despite exhaustive searching of the Internet.
Fraserh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

No one any ideas? really all I need is the pin out details for the deck. Surely this should be available?
Old 10-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Radio wiring harness guru

Car: 1996 SVX L AWD

What is the model number on your Mc head unit (probably starting with PF-...)?

Your Outback may have the "LAN module". See this thread.

BTW, you might want to fix the year in your profile (or do you also have a MY 2000 Outback )
Old 10-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for that SVXdc. I fixed my details in my profile.

I used to have a 2000 OB until some fool ran into the back of me at speed while i was stationary. My poor baby went to the wreckers yard in the sky. Now replaced with the 2005 OB, one gen newer.
My Mc head unit is a PF-40621.

The white 18 pin connector to the Mc deck is mostly power, other than a black with white strip and a yellow with black stripe wire. Iím not sure what those two wires are for.

I plugged back in the old Mc deck to work out which socket has the control wires in it. By disconnecting the black 18 socket and the deck appears to perform as normal, but the SWC does not work, so Iím assuming itís the wires in this socket that have the SWC in them?
Here is a photo of the socket and wires. Hope that helps?

Iv emailed AXXESS and they have tried to be helpful, but as they are saying, without a wiring diagram for that deck there isnít much they can do.

I think my car does have a LAN module, as it had a Japanese navigation unit from factory.

So from reading that thread link you posted, it sounds like I need to tap into the O/W wire after the clock spring in the steering wheel, and disconnecting this pin from the LAN module, by cutting the wire? Any pictures of the socket where i tap in at the steering wheel? Iím assuming itís behind the plastic cover over the column.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just had a hard look behind the plastic cowl over the steering wheel column. I can’t seem to locate the O/W wire? So the wire should be coming out of connector B68 (an 8 pin connector) out of the steering column, from what I can tell? A picture would really help me locate the B68 connector.

Since my car has the LAN unit, will I need to alter any other wiring, or simply tap into the O/W wire? I’m guessing that il also have to cut its so that there is no feed to the LAN unit.

Will I also need to cut the VO wire and earth the side to the control buttons (isolating the LAN side)?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2011 2.5 Limited Cypress Green

I called AXXESS a couple times during my installation and once since, they were pretty helpful on the phone and might be worth a shot. Good luck, I know how annoying that is when it seems like it should be so easy!

NinjaTurtle2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks NinjaTurtle2.5, would have been a tad expensive for me to call them from this end as im in Queenstown New Zealand. They have been great through email conversations though. Thanks for the advice though!

Well I just managed to make it all work! I pulled the trim for the dash off that's around the steering wheel and straight away found the OW & VW wires. Tested them with a multimeter and got nothing (scratches head). Then realised that the LAN module would still be connected, so pulled the socket apart and put the multimeter on the correct pins and straight away got the resistance values I was looking for when i pressed the buttons on the wheel.

So I snipped the wires and taped up the ones on the LAN side. Wired the VW wire to earth, and connected up the OW wire to the ASWC. Plugged it in, powered it up and the ASWC did its programing thing in a blink, and off we went. Works a treat!

Have to say im very impressed with the AXXESS ASWC. Works a treat and if it wern't for the LAN module been in line, it would have been a breeze to install. It sure was a breeze to get up and running once I knew the wires to patch into.

I'm going to send a comprehensive email to AXXESS so that they can pass this data onto other people that may wish to install one of these. I don't want others going through the same heartache as I did!

Thanks once again SVXdc for pointing me in the right direction. This forum is great !
Old 10-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Radio wiring harness guru

Car: 1996 SVX L AWD

Glad to hear you got that working.

On my link above, there is a link to an Australian Liberty thread, and a link to a Russian site that has pictures of a LAN module and where to find it (near or behind the fuse panel). I'd love to see good pics of the circuit board inside that thing.

Incidentally, the harness in your earlier picture is from your OEM nav system to the Mc head unit. The LAN module will connect to the nav unit via yet another harness, with the above harness daisy-chained off of that (the 20-pin harnesses are on a bus). In cars without nav, the LAN module's harness plugs straight into the HU's socket.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

I might be into that part of my car again shortly SVXdc. When i do, il pul the LAN module out and take some detailed photos for you mate!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: