Subaru Outback Forums banner

2015 Outback Spotted

131K views 345 replies 118 participants last post by  creso 
#1 ·
#2 ·
The turbo would a nice return to the product line. I love my OBXT manual. Although I assume this will come with the CVT.

I guess it is time to adapt.

You can't even buy a Ferrari with a manual anymore. Same for the Porsche GT3. Efficiency and performance benefits perhaps don't exist with manuals anymore but that's not why I want one.

#3 ·
Efficiency and performance benefits perhaps don't exist with manuals anymore but that's not why I want one.
Agreed. I want one for the pure driving enjoyment of using 3 pedals and a shifter. But I think the new OB with it's size isn't the right platform for a MT.

The mirrors seem to mirror what all manufacturers are doing (Subaru included) by mounting them on the door and adding the quarter window for better visibility. Ugly from the outside IMO, but I suppose a change for the good.

#4 ·
Thanks for sending on - gives me even more incentive to pass up this 2014 Limited SAP I'm testing out for the day and see what the 2015 brings!

I already spy auto up/down on all four windows, better gauge cluster, and soft-touch dash which are all fantastic changes if they make it into the US production version. My goal is to get back a little of the VW/Audi flavor I lost with my current Outback

#20 ·
I already spy auto up/down on all four windows,
This feature scares me. Needs an override.

I have an irrational fear that my dog might somehow step on the switch in just the right/wrong way and get strangled before I could stop or stop it or whatever.

Definitely would be a distraction in traffic! And, with enough traffic, something like that could be as spectacular as a NASCAR restrictor plate race crash.

#5 ·
I got the 2013 Outback as a safe car to move kids around... I'm not a fan of SUV's and minivans. When my older one starts driving in 6 years, it will be his. I've personally been longing for the new Jaguar F-Type. I'm hoping they loose their value as quickly as other jags and will pick one up coming off lease. No manual in the F-Type either yet.

#6 ·
There was a thread yesterday with the matching Legacy spy shots. In those, it looked as though the roof were considerably wider. But I don't see that (or as much of it) in this picture of the outback, so maybe it was just the angle.

Of course this outback still has that terrible roof rack and serrated rocker cladding, my 2 least favorite design features.

I am pleased to see evidence that they've gone back to a single row headlight. The stacked up design from the '10-'14 was much more at home on sprinter vans and city buses anyway.

We're only about 6-8 months from seeing it officially unveiled anyway, and maybe a year from seeing it on dealer lots. Exciting!

I think manual transmissions are officially a feature of old cars at this point. I enjoy them myself from time to time, but I really don't mind them going away. Too much of my normal driving happens in conditions where a manual isn't fun.

#13 ·
You know, besides looking better, that's such a better position for the hazards. Right now the hazard button is directly in line with where the shift lever goes leading to me hitting it all the time with my hand - about as stupid of a design "feature" as having the oil filter wedged between hot exhaust in the 10-12 model 4 cylinders :28:

In addition to the soft touches, etc. I'm hoping they add some brushed metal trim around the vents, etc. to flair it up a bit. Maybe it's the VW/Audi in me but I think a few brushed trims add a bit of class like in the 2012+ Passats. I'd also love some porous wood trim and fabric a-pillars but at that point I may as well just go buy an Allroad haha

#12 ·
Looking at the spy shots, it actually looks a bit like they are bringing back some design elements from the 2nd/3rd gen, and adding a couple new design elements.

I kinda want to see what the heck they did with the grill. Looks kinda mean.
Agreed - ESPECIALLY the headlights. The shape/flow could not be any more similar although it does look like the have grown a bit (and will likely include LED's like EVERY other car maker on earth now).

Not so sold on the roofrail design - however a lot of this stuff is likely to change. I don't expect them to remove much of the "rugged" touches like the tonka toy block side sills - the Gen 4 has been such a huge hit, they'll likely not stray too far.

#11 ·
Not thrilled with the rear spoiler, those corners don't look camouflaged and appear to copy the BMW X or possibly the Juke?

It cracks me up when Subaru said they wanted their own design language, but then followed it with a car that borrowed heavily from the worst parts of a freightliner (headlights) CR-V (window shape and trim) Avalanche (roof rack and cladding) and Camry (rear lighting). And then filled all the space in between with flat sheet metal.

#15 ·
Looks like memory seats in a non SAP. Could be mirror controls though. Rear end/slope looks a bit retro, like older WRX. Not liking the outside mirror treatment. Stereo has a Macintosh look. Much wider center console armrest. No more electronic parking brake. No tweeties in the dash?

#17 ·
Wow....looks more like an updated 3rd gen than a continuation of the 4th gen. That is, looks more wagony than SUVy. Not that I plan on replacing my 3rd gen anytime soon, but the 5th gen looks like what I'll eventually own.

#22 ·
I already like this better than the 10-14 models. A return to the rugged wagon instead of the bloated CUV? I hope so!

Definitely has a lot of elements of 2nd gen and 3rd gen Outback designs coming back. Glad they moved the hazard flashers button from behind the shifter back to in between the vents like the 2nd gens were (although, that is a bad place to put it if your friends like to push it to aggravate you while driving down the road... why not back on the column??

#54 ·
Glad they moved the hazard flashers button from behind the shifter back to in between the vents like the 2nd gens were (although, that is a bad place to put it if your friends like to push it to aggravate you while driving down the road... why not back on the column??
Maybe they'll bring the virgin switch back from the Gen. 2 as well, so they needed that space. :D

The grille definitely looks like a lot of Gen. 3 heritage is being brought back in the bar style, but the openings to me suggest a nudge toward Gen. 2's upper and lower overall shapes. As long as its not more of that Freightliner grille, that'll be great. The headlights look like a significant improvement too, way less large especially at the top. What nobody seems to be talking about is the outer corners of the bumper look to have openings for big fogs still, although probably well recessed. The '13 update to the big fogs was a move in the right direction, but they do look a bit tacked on. Looks like for '15 they'll be integrated in better.

As for roof shape and window angles, I was looking at Gen. 1-3 in the parking lot at work (I keep telling you people we have more in Oregon than anywhere else) and realized the big change in Gen. 4 that made the Outback start looking so bloated and big was the pillars and roof. From the beltline upward the first 3 generations taper considerably, adding to the more carlike, sporty look. The Gen. 4 got seriously vertical in those respects, which increases interior space but makes it look blocky and fat. When you add in the wraparound rear glass, it ices the case of sleekness.

Is it just me or are there no raised areas on the roof to accommodate the racks? Low roof, rackless Outback a possibility anyone? Heck, give us a Blitzen off the next gen!

I think the tails are going back toward Gen. 3. Actually not my favorite design, because the way they terminate at the hatch break line accentuates a line already sharply contrasting with the overall shape. As large and occasionally ungainly as the full width setup on the Gen. 2 is, it flows much better with the overall body lines than Gen. 4, 3, and 1 - in that order from worst to best.

#29 ·
I like what I can see of the new headlight design. 2013-2014 was a slight improvement over 2010-2012, but they are just awkwardly large. I think too much of the tail lights are obscured to tell what they'll really look like.

I like the door mounted mirrors and sail panel windows. I think these aid in aerodynamics (from what I've read).

The hood line follows suit with the 2014 Forester. This is a wide trend that I believe started with the Chris Bangle era E60 BMWs (correct me if I'm worng).

But how do people say that this looks less SUV-ish than the gen4? It looks every bit as SUV-ish to me. The profile is very similar between the two of them. Am I nuts? Maybe I'm nuts...

#30 ·
You're not nuts. It not SUV'ish but very crossoverish.

I'll give the new design a few breaks. The front overhand looks slightly improved and the headlights, while still large are definitely smaller than the current monstrosities. The wheels appear to fit their wells better which is a welcome improvement. The lower cladding also looks more subdued.

It will probably look very nice when done. Hopefully Subaru will pack it with the finest technology 2005 had to offer.

#82 ·
It will probably look very nice when done. Hopefully Subaru will pack it with the finest technology 2005 had to offer.
Now that I think about it, it took them until the 3rd generation to add MPG displays into the Outback. A relative had a 1986 Caddy DeVille and it had one in it! Of course, the engine in that was a 4.1L V8 and only made 135 HP and 200 lb-ft. of torque. Subaru is doing better than that in the 2.0L H4 now!

#31 ·
It's a relief that it's going to look the way it will. If the 2015 was to be a very attractive vehicle (like an Audi All-Road), then I would have been sad-face. I bet the new interior will make me jealous though.

Luckily, as far as exterior looks are concerned, it still looks like a goofy Subaru. ...and I say that with much affection.

#32 ·
I'm with you Rock. It's still very SUVish.

I think it's bigger, and they bumped the rear bumper out so create some more storage, which makes it look more wagonish. Maybe to provide structural support for a 3rd row?

Given all of the technology improvements on the Forester, I'd say the OB will follow suit and have a few more goodies to set it apart.

We also need to remember that Subaru is very aware that spy shots will be taken, and likely added features with their camoflauge, so the big spoiler and other tidbits, might just be padding and foam.

#41 ·
I will bet money on a DIT option and no 3.6. Updated safety along with more HSS steel will guarantee top safety. Knee air bags for driver and possibly passenger. It will be interesting if they totally redo the suspension or tweak it. I don't think they any more shake issues. X- mode on premium + models. The one thing missing from the interior is the big MID with hood for backup camera and info.

#40 ·
[/QUOTE]

The 2015 reminds me of the 2005 - 2009 - probably just the camouflage, but I always preferred how the older models had the rear glass meeting the hatch glass without the body panel in between... would be great it this were to come back... I never liked this feature of the 2010 - 2014s...

Back in the days leading up to the release of the 2010, Jalopnik had some spy shots/renders done with basically the 2010s but with the rear window meeting the hatch glass - to me that rendering looked fantastic - hopefully they move that way... Anyone have the old renders from Jalopnik lying around??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.