Fog Light Bulb Replacement - HOW TO - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2001 Subaru OUtback Wagon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to cplumley2
Question Fog Light Bulb Replacement - HOT TO

-- I'm am totally clueless as to how to replace the Fog Lamp bulb in our 2001 Subaru Outback Wagon. I have looked on-line for information and end up will information on purchasing the bulb but not replacing it. From the Owners Manual it says ... "contact dealer" .. ya right like I can afford that ... I have the bulb and my have to go back to NAPA to see if their parts book has a photo ... blow up - out of thie process....??!! Please see my profile ... "Cars Don't Like Me" .. LOL ... I have tons of tools and can get in to trouble using them ...LOL .. If anyone has a photo of this process please send it to chris.plumley.2@comcast.net....THANK YOU.. CP2
cplumley2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2007, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
I'm Not Slash...yet.

Car: 2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal / 2002 Outback Limited - Timberline Green
Send a message via AIM to FMGreen

Hi CP2, welcome to subaruoutback.org! Thanks for stopping by!

I don't have the instructions, but I know it's much easier than you might imagine.

Within a day or so I'm sure someone here will chime in with either the official instructions from a Subaru service manual, or they will write you up a quick and simple how-to.

From what I remember, all you'll need is a small flat-head screwdriver to help pop off the wiring to the bulb, otherwise, it's just twist out, twist in.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
I'm Not Slash...yet.

Car: 2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal / 2002 Outback Limited - Timberline Green

Oh what the heck. I dug through my service manual pdfs and cut and pasted these together for you!

That may or may not be helpful, and that may or may not be the easiest way to do this.

In my experience, it's easiest to not even do steps 1 and 2.

If you get underneath your bumper and look up, right behind where you'd think the back of the fog lamp would be, you'll find a soft plastic "mudguard" that is connected to the bumper with a small black plastic connector.

To remove the connector, you need to use a small screwdriver to pry the center piece of the connector out about 1/2 inch, and then you should be able to pry the WHOLE connector out of the hole. This will make more sense when you see the piece.

Once you've got the connector removed, you can just pull the mudguard down and out of your way, and then reach up and remove the electrical connector to the fog lamp bulb.

When you've got the electrical connector off, you just need to twist the bulb out (I think you'll twist counter-clockwise), put your new bulb in (DON'T TOUCH THE GLASS WITH YOUR BARE HANDS!!!), reconnect the wiring, flip the mudguard back into place, replace the plastic connector, and you're all done.

It'll make sense once you're underneath looking up at the parts. It really should only take you about 5 minutes.

Good luck!
Old 12-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Double Thumbs Up... I can do this ...THANK YOU FMGreen.. God Bless and Merry Christmas... to all. !! Maybe I'll look for the manual too -- can't hurt to give some of the small jobs a try ... We are also getting a little leak / dripping off of the plastic motor guard ... just had the oil changed and anti-freeze replaced ... wonder if they left something a little loose .... or could this be the water pump .. "freeze plug" give us a "early warning" of pending doom ... like 107,000 miles and time for the water pump and timing chain to be done ...hope not .... unemployed right now .. THANK YOU ... CP2
Old 12-24-2007, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
I'm Not Slash...yet.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5i Premium; 2012 Impreza 2.0i Premium (wife's); a pair of white, 1972 Porsche 914's (one on the road, one one of these days); 2006 HD FLHRI Fireman's Edition; 1971 HD XLCH "work in progress."

I had to remove the left headlight over the weekend (problem with the turnsignal socket...long story!) and noticed that with the headlight removed I could pretty easily reach down and swap out the fog light bulbs for a new pair I got.

Open the hood and look at the headlight assembly. You'll see three 10mm bolts holding the headlight in. One on top on a tang, and two in the front holding the assembly to the rad support. Remove these, wiggle the assembly out, and you should have enough slack in the wiring to rest the whole thing on the towel you laid on the bumper to keep from scratching the paint. After that, you can reach down and remove the pigtail from the bulb and twist the bulb out. Make sure you follow Mr. Green's instructions regarding not touching the bulb!

I used to fool around with hotrods and had a hoist in my garage. I've since sold the lift, but my job has really taken a toll on my joints over the years so I'll do just about ANYTHING to keep from rolling around on the cement floor!
SubieDoobieDoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord of ScoobyMods

Car: 01' OB Wagon / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1094

Peaty

www.ScoobyMods.com
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 01:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Electronics Hobbiest

Car: 2000 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5i
Thumbs down 2000 OB Fogs Driving me Nuts!!!

I am seriously looking at ditching these useless fogs, dont need them in mid atlantic area, and replacing them with Hella 500 or 500FF. Anyone think it can be done? After the retrofit shouldnt have to put up with all that stuff trying to change bulbs and to replace the fog light fixture once it is pitted? close to $200 a pop!

Any thoughts?
motor137 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Legionairre

Car: 2001 Outback H6 3.0 L.L Bean
Default Re: 2000 OB Fogs Driving me Nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by motor137
close to $200 a pop!

Any thoughts?
i'd do that if i had the money. if you're gonna spend $200 on fixing/replacing the stock fog lights you might as well upgrade to something better.

i'm about to replace my fog bulbs but i'm also considering replacing the fogs or adding driving lights somtime down the road. one or the other.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Well thank you all.... It only took me 4 months to get this done....

First == SKIP STEPS ONE AND TWO at the top ....

A. I found that you can do this job with out doing anything on the front of the lens.

B. PLUS I broke one of the bolts trying it .... grrrr

Second == I did not need to remove the guard from the back either.

A. I removed the plastic - sleeved body bolt and folded the guard up and towards the outer side of the bumper.

B. I found the connector = Note there is a small catch on the rear - just press it down lightly and pull / wiggle it back.

C. I found three (3) Plastic / Nylon (Flat head) Phillips head screws holding in the bulb. - I removed them and the bulb came right out. - NOTE: The bulb has a particular shape that fits in to the housing.

D. LIKE NOTED ABOVE ... DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS OF THE NEW BULB... Insert the bulb into the shaped housing and replace the bottom screw. This should hold the bulb while you insert the top and left screws.

E. Replace the wiring harness. Testing here is a good idea.

F. Fold down the splash guard and make sure that the interior is over the metal brace -- you can do this by feel ..

G. Replace the body bolt..

THANK YOU ALL.

CP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: