2014 Outback: USB Plug Problems - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2014 Outback: USB Plug Problems

My iPhone 5 and 5S both seemingly short the USB plug when plugged in. They are recognized and charge for a few minutes but then the USB plug goes dead until I turn the car on and off.

I took it to the dealer and their service dept said that they can't find anything wrong with the USB jack.

Anyone have the same problem?

I'm guessing the amps for the newer phones is too high and a resettable breaker is blowing on the plug. But, 60 million iPhones with lightning connectors were sold last quarter.... surely I can't be the only one having this problem.
Brave Ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014, 11:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2014 Outback, Satin White Pearl, 2.5i CVT + Alloy Wheel Pkg

I tried plugging my phone in (a Nokia Windows Phone, so completely different) and I never saw it even try to charge. I was disappointed but didn't look into it further as my phone can last a full day as long as I charge it before I leave. I'll take another look at it tomorrow.
EXT64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 05:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: Outback 2.0L Diesel 2013

Given the Supplied USB is for audio usb etc... to the Audio system, why not buy a 12V to 2x USB Power and charge your phone from this instead ? We can even get an otherwise fussy Samsung Ace to charge with this. My Samsung S4 and iPod are also fine.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 06:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2009 VW New Beetle Convertible, 2004 HD XL 883, 2014 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT with Moonroof

Some USB ports will give a "not charging" message with iOS if there's not enough amperage on a communication port only. I saw this more with my iPhone 4 than my iPhone 5. It may be charging, albeit slowly.
Pitmaster Will is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2013 OB 2.5i + AWP/Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
My iPhone 5 and 5S both seemingly short the USB plug when plugged in. They are recognized and charge for a few minutes but then the USB plug goes dead until I turn the car on and off.

I took it to the dealer and their service dept said that they can't find anything wrong with the USB jack.

Anyone have the same problem?

I'm guessing the amps for the newer phones is too high and a resettable breaker is blowing on the plug. But, 60 million iPhones with lightning connectors were sold last quarter.... surely I can't be the only one having this problem.
I'd look at the head unit itself. It is the one dropping the charging connection, and the cabling/port itself may actually be fine.

However, the iPhone negotiates the charge rate when it connects. Only when the port advertises that it is a 1A port does it draw more than 500mA. In practice, it rarely needs more than 750mA. So the current draw should not be a factor unless the head unit is advertising 1A to the iPhone and then shutting it off later.

I didn't have this problem when I was using the stock head unit in my 2013, but I'd still bet on the head unit being the source of the problem.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
cab

Default 2014 Outback: USB Plug Problems

I have the exact same issue. Iphone 5 and Ipod both seem to short out the USB jack until the car is restarted. It works for a few minutes and then dies again.
cab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Given the Supplied USB is for audio usb etc... to the Audio system, why not buy a 12V to 2x USB Power and charge your phone from this instead ? We can even get an otherwise fussy Samsung Ace to charge with this. My Samsung S4 and iPod are also fine.
Because if you are like me and listen to music through your iPhone, if the USB port isn't working, Bluetooth is the only other option, which has a lousy sound quality.
cab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default 2014 outback USB port and Auxillary cables not working properly

I purchased my 2014 Outback less than 2 weeks ago. I'm currently at the dealer. I tried using different devices, different cables (direct from apple, not from apple) and still the problem persist. I get a message reading "check device" randomly and the music stops. I am also experiencing a lot of feedback static when I use the auxiliary cable. ULTRA ANNOYING!
Serviceman said they are experiencing these problems in all models with the multi-port systems and isn't aware of any fixes for the problem.
Sapphos78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2001 Outback H6 VDC "1SlickVDC"
Send a message via Skype™ to botenredwolf

It may be a firmware thing with either the phone or the head units. Back in the day when the iPod touch was super popular, they were incredibly picky about what they were charged on. Had to use an Apple cable and a port with enough current capability. I'm sure they're a little less restrictive now, but it might be worth checking that your phone's software is completely up to date.

The Audio: Kenwood eXcelon X998 HU; Focal Access 165 CA1 full-range in all doors + McIntosh tweeters in front doors, powered by a Memphis PR4.50; always changing: 2 Earthquake TNT12 Subwoofers powered by 500WRMS Kenwood Class D (yuck)

http://www.1slickvdc.com

botenredwolf lives in the Audio section of this forum and is a MECP Installer

botenredwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 11:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Picked up a 2014 2 weeks ago, and neither my 5s nor my wife's 5 will work for more than ~10min through the USB before it goes to "check device".

Really annoying, as we listen to iTunes Radio and change the stations using the head unit, which isn't possible over bluetooth. The sound quality is much better than bluetooth as well.

Has anyone gotten anywhere on this?
Chuckda4th is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: