Optima Red Top battery Group 35 (R) - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-09-2004, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lord of ScoobyMods

Car: 01' OB Wagon / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Optima Red Top battery Group 35 (R)

Just as an FYI, Optima has a drop in replacement for Subaru's now. I think it's relatively new, before there was a universal one that worked if you made the battery cables longer. This one is a good fit. It's slightly shorter but fits nicely:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4405

Peaty

www.ScoobyMods.com
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2004, 12:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Superb Moderator

Car: MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT

So Peaty, what is the greatest benefit to going to the Optima? I know there is no weight loss over a standard battery, so what is the underlying reason people are going to them. I know it isn't cost, they can be steep. Realistically, what is the best benefit? Brian
Old 12-10-2004, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord of ScoobyMods

Very high CCA, they last 3X longer than normal batteries, no acid fumes and liquid acid to get all over (spill proof) maintance free. It also sits lower so there is a minimal lowering of the center of gravity. Lots of people use these batteries when relocating the battery to the trunk (for better weight distribution) because they don't gas under normal conditions. And they are safer than normal batteries.

From the link:

* Optima Batteries typically last several years longer than a traditional battery
* Vibration Resistant...Providing a longer lifespan in Marine and Off-Road Applications
* Maintenance Free...No water needed
* Battery Terminals do not corrode
* Can be mounted in almost any position
* Completely sealed case so they don't spill or leak acid
* Handle for easy installation

Peaty

www.ScoobyMods.com
Old 12-10-2004, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mengde's Brigadier

Car: 02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack

to add to Peaty's commentary, waaay better quality control than the planned-obsolescence mainstream batteries and substantially advanced design is a lot of what these advantages stem from. nice of em to finally make em, 2 mos after i replaced my battery with some dungheap from Sears cuz i couldn't find an Optima to fit.

rant on battery economics: you want to sell batteries. you put a warrranty, redeemable only in form of pro rata credit against the next battery from you, on the battery. you rate the battery for less months than it will actually likely last. presto, repeat business.....nah, American business wouldn't do that, would they??

trust me, the car that's worth a $1000 exh system is worth a $150 battery.
CPToversteer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2004, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord of ScoobyMods

Further on the Optima, there are other types like yellow tops and such depending on what you need. I don't have / want a killer stereo system. I was looking for starting power so I went with the red top. Best to check the site I link to in the install and see what is best for you.

Peaty

www.ScoobyMods.com
Old 12-10-2004, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mengde's Brigadier

Car: 02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack

what he means is that the red top is the "starting" battery line, with max CCA. the yellow top is their "deep cycle" line whjich can be discharged way down without as much sulfation, altho they still put out more CCA than all but the stoutest mainstream batteries. like maybe 750 CCA vs 850-950.

they're so good that Orbital, Exide and others are now all introducing Optima knockoffs.

Peaty, you didn't mention one other benefit of them which is IMHO pretty significant: the reduction/elimination of battery acid corrosion futz falling on and consequently rusting your sheetmetal, and great reduction of terminal corrosion for same reason.

do i sound sold? i woulda installed one even tho it would have meant longer batt cables except i was in ABQ and needing to leave.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord of ScoobyMods

Quote:
Peaty, you didn't mention one other benefit of them
No but I intimated it*

(I just wanted to use the word intimate )

Peaty

www.ScoobyMods.com
Old 12-10-2004, 12:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mengde's Brigadier

yah, that pic of the butt of your Sub makes me think of "intimate" too...
Old 12-10-2004, 02:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Car: 2003 Outback Legacy Wagon, 2.5 H-4 normally aspirated engine

well, having worked for Interstate Batteries for a while, I just figured I would chime in here.

The red tops are great starting batteries. They last forever and have a great warranty on em. They deliver about 800 CCA. There is a common misconception that optimas are gel batteries, like wheel chair batteries. They actually use a pack of glass mesh coils (hence the round tube shapes) that absorb the acid. They will not leak, period. We put a fork off our fork lift through one, covered the hole with some silicone, and they actually still have that battery in a delivery truck one year later. Optimas can also be transported on airlines. The neatest thing, I think, is they can be mounted anywhere. My old jeep, I had two yellow tops, mounted on their sides on the rear of my frame rails. You can even mount them upside down. You have to be careful with the red tops though, if you drain them down more than two or three times, they are toast.

If you like to run your stereo for a long time w/o the car running (like me) or you have a lot of lights that you might be running, go with the yellow top. It is a deep cycle type battery, which means it can be consistently drained way down, and still have the jucie to start your rig, and also be recharged. The warranty is about half of that on the red tops. In a year working at interstate though, when ever we got optimas back, we would test them, recharge them, test them again, and find out they were fine. (check with your local interstate distributer, they usually sell these betteries for about 30 bucks w/ no warranty. It must be the main shop though, not a satalite distributor)

They have a blue top, but it is a full marine battery, and way over priced for it's usefulness.

Anyway, that is the extent of my useless knowledge, hope this helps out.

2003 Outback, Bone Stock
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2004, 04:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mengde's Brigadier

Thumbs up

useless? sounds like you know more abt these than the rest of us combined....

that warranty-return battery deal sounds pretty interesting....i might move the DieOften to the pickup and get one of those for OBS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: